Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 C4S + Boxster or 997 Turbo.....

gilessav

Spa-Francorchamps
Evening all!

As i said on another thread, whilst i love my C4S i keep finding myself watching YouTube videos' of 997 Turbo's and the man maths starts whispering in my ear......

However my wife would love a Boxster and I could effectively keep the C4S and get a very nice 987 Boxster S for atleast 10K less combined than an entry level Turbo.

Pro's and con's in both directions, option 1 gives me the ultimate of the 997 Turbo but is it just too fast for road use and the wife would def not dare drive it, but I could pay it off in 2years and have a non-depreciating car in the garage....Insurance on 5k mile a year is also bonkers cheap, must be getting old!

Option 2 gives me my well known (7yrs) and mint C4S, the option of a great convertible and a happier wife and less outlay! Cons another car in the fleet to accommodate/insure/tax....but depreciation (not key driver by any means) should also be minimal.

Or better to wait to see the effects of the pandemic on the economy and convince myself i don't need a car that's as fast as my superbike :?:

All first world problems of course and I know the Turbo is the ultimate (and a part of me says get one whilst you can still enjoy such cars...) but the other option does offer plenty of upsides and not many down.....stick or twist is the dilema :thumb:

When you are able to, test drive a turbo and test drive a Boxster. Then buy the turbo.

MC

yes agree head to head there will be little competition :eek: if it was boxster vs. Turbo then its bringing a knife to a gunfight comparison for sure!

Driven a 986 which was fun and suspect for a summer car and a soft top the 295HP 987 Manual would be more fun again (and i get to keep the C4S of course). One on one turbo wins hands down, 2 vs. 1 maybe it closer :dont know:

MisterCorn said:
When you are able to, test drive a turbo and test drive a Boxster. Then buy the turbo.

MC

+1

I have had all three (mine was a 997 C4S).. definitely get the Turbo.

The 987 boxster S is terrific and very fast. Sure it's not a 997 turbo, but if you've got lots of back roads to drive around in the summer with the roof down, the boxster is a fine machine. The obvious choice is a convertible 997 turbo so you have warp speed and no roof!

Depreciation wise you'll do OK on the 996 and 997 but the boxster might lose a few quid.

You probably need to test drive both and see.

yes a good point and was also thinking that the 997 Cab might be a good option, but doubt the wife would be brave enough to drive also due to having to reverse out a relatively tight garage to do so.....

Will I think look to test drive a Boxster S as suspect it'll be 75%+ of the fun for less outlay and the lack of need to sell the C4S and hassle with sale etc. Have been in my friends 987 S a few years ago and it was good fun and equivalent performance wise to the C4S.

Something to think about then, but that little voice keeps whispering in my ear 'go big or go home' on the Turbo :wack:

I guess it's easy to comment (as a long time turbo owner) but you really will have just as much fun, if not more, in a Boxster on your average UK twisty road. I've owned 2 x 986, brilliant cars, and have friends with 987s that can hold there own around Spa.

The turbo can be too fast in most situations, and you'll find yourself doing jail speeds in no time at all on a clear road. You've already got 90% of the turbo in the fat C4S, a car which you know very well, and should hold it's value.

You'd potentially buy a 997 that may require a few £k spending to get it right? I personally prefer the 996t, 997 is too refined for me.

All good options but a 997 turbo as easy to drive as 986 Boxster. Your wife could easily drive. Buy a 997 turbo cab she'll never give you the keys back. Nice white one at 911v. Decent place not to lose too much cash in fact you could own for a few years and still maybe come out square at say 30k miles. I'm amazed nobody has bought that car.

That turbo itch won't go away until you give it a good scratch.

If your missus is happy to drive your C4S she won't have a problem driving a 997T. With regard to performance I've always found that they only go as fast as you press the right pedal. 95% of the time you'll only be driving it the same as you would a Carrera but when you can use it the oomph is intoxicating.

My personal favourite adage is "you can drive a Turbo like a Carrera but when conditions are right you can't drive a Carrera like a Turbo". :wink:

Obviously I'm biased (although I have had, and loved, a 996C4 and a 996T previously) but I'm pretty certain you'll be best served going the 997T route.

This video might tip you over the edge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDORYkGxYwg

All great points and why such decisions are tricky!

Have seen most of the recent Turbo vids and that is a good one T8 highlighted, not sure the 60K is needed though to get into a good one :?:

the elephant in the room is that with a C4S and if buying a gen 1 987S then surely I've also then got two chocolate engined cars on the drive :hand:

Maybe the 'happy wife' mantra is a good one and save for a Turbo in 2-3 years for my 50th.......i do though have form for these 'seeds of an idea' becoming a reality sooner rather than later, not got burned yet but life is too short (if the last year proves anything) to sit and think for too long :thumb:

£60k would probably be needed to get into the low mileage, well spec'd manual car featured in the video but there's a lot of very nice Tips around for under £50k and manual cars for a few £k more.

I'm definitely in the 'do it now' camp. You could always treat wifey to an MX5. :grin:

yes have read your thread T8 on the Turbo (and advantage of a warranty) so seems the coolant pipes, turbo and possibly gearbox are the main areas which could produce eye-watering bills!

Then again service, tax, repairs on two P cars could also quickly add up to any form of Turbo maintenance (assuming nothing major). RSJ seem to have decent priced turbo's over time and i hear their inhouse 12 month warranty is pretty good so a safe bet if someone went that route!

IMI A said:
All good options but a 997 turbo as easy to drive as 986 Boxster. Your wife could easily drive. Buy a 997 turbo cab she'll never give you the keys back. Nice white one at 911v. Decent place not to lose too much cash in fact you could own for a few years and still maybe come out square at say 30k miles. I'm amazed nobody has bought that car.

Agreed. I had a 997 turbo and 987 Boxster S, both manual concurrently and they were essentially the same once inside (except one has rear seats)

Happy wife = cheaper life. trust me

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzed23
Back