Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

928 GTS project

I've put two new o-rings on the oil cooler, which leaked when I loosened them to try to stop the pipe fouling on the underbody cover. The aluminium underbody panel has had a coating of ACF50, and I'm going to make up a new spare wheel cover from some high density blue foamboard.

Running out of reasons to not just drive it now, better get it taxed.

MC

I'm sure you at the point of breaking stuff, just do yiu can fix it. What a bargain.

I've driven the car a couple of times now, and will be doing longer drives over the weekend. No major issues so far. I did notice that the cooling fans are on all of the time, could be a faulty switch on the radiator.

Can't quite get to it to test it at the moment, so I'll leave it for now and test it when I can get to it.

I also noticed that the radio couldn't get a signal. There was no aerial on the car. I've ordered one but to get me through until then I have found that a threaded rod used to compress the variocam mechanism on a 996 Carrera engine will do the job.

The stereo is rubbish, so I've ordered a new one which I will fit next week. Might end up upgrading the speakers as well along the way.

Other things I have noticed......

Door closing pin worn on the passenger side so the door needs to be closed very hard to stay closed. New pins ordered for both sides.
Door stays are not holding the doors in the open position. I'm waiting to decide what to do on the door speakers before looking at these, as it needs the door covers off to change. Not a hard job though.

MC

Looks like 10, 2 in each door and 3 each side in the rear.

Given the number and size of the speakers, and that it was a high-end luxury car at the time I would expect half decent sound, but it is really thin and tinny at the moment. I'm changing the head unit for a Blaupunkt one so I'll get that done and see what the sound is like. If it isn't better then I will do more work on it. No plans to go crazy but I would like it to be much better than it is now.

MC

MisterCorn said:
Looks like 10, 2 in each door and 3 each side in the rear.

Given the number and size of the speakers, and that it was a high-end luxury car at the time I would expect half decent sound, but it is really thin and tinny at the moment. I'm changing the head unit for a Blaupunkt one so I'll get that done and see what the sound is like. If it isn't better then I will do more work on it. No plans to go crazy but I would like it to be much better than it is now.

MC

My 944 speakers were original and the paper cone had come away from the frame on all of them, sounded terrible but new speakers cured that, but I only needed 4

I'll budget for new speakers....

MC

Done about 120 miles in the car yesterday and today. Why did nobody tell me before just how superb thesr cars are??? It feels absolutely solid, as if it weighs about 3 tons. A few minor squeeks to sort, possibly from the spare tyre area, but no actual problems.

Parts have arrived.

MC

MisterCorn said:
... Why did nobody tell me before just how superb these cars are??? It feels absolutely solid, as if it weighs about 3 tons. MC

Always thought the 928 was unfairly side-lined, after it failed to replace the 911. Deserving of far more praise.

Got passed by a white one on the M54, back in the mid 1980's and the car just had so much presence. It was like being passed by a Great White.

Loving all the improvements you're making! Very cool car indeed :thumb:

Passenger door was really hard to shut, needed properly slamming. Problem was obvious, the plastic part of the latch mechanism has been damaged and needs replacing. I wonder how many years and thousands of miles it has been like this and nobody bothers doing such a simple fix.

Drivers side not as bad, but did both anyway.

New antenna fitted.

I've also lubricated the throttle linkage in the hope of it making the pedal a little lighter, I'll see how I get on with it now.

MC

Coming on nicely :thumb: I sincerely hope you're getting a nice sense of satisfaction from completing all these jobs? You should do!

:thumbs: Great work as usual, & absolutely love the colour.

It's heartwarming to know I have another project thread to follow now that Pinky & the convertible are pretty much done.

Fantastic work as always, i love reading all the updates :worship:

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
e46m3
Back