Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

1999 C4 cabriolet project

Having not moved the car since last November I've got it back in the garage to do a few jobs. I noticed on the way to the office that it was missing a bit at light load and the check engine light flashed for a few seconds. A quick scan revealed a bunch of codes.....

I'm wondering if it could be a bad connection on the cam position sensor or a failing cam position sensor, I cleared the faults and restarted the car and it didn't come back after running for a few minutes. I've got the car in to the exhaust manifolds so I'll take a good look at coil packs when I'm there, might do coils and plugs and fit new heatshields (currently missing on both sides). Any other input welcome!

I also noticed the horn going off randomly. This is caused by the rubber in the moutning in the steering wheel getting old and soft so it moves very easily, the weight of the airbag being enough to sound the horn. Driving whilst holding on to the airbag to keep the horn from going off isn't easy.

A pair of T30 torx bits from the back of the wheel to get the airbag off, then four large bolts to remove the frame.

There are replacements available to just change the inserts but I've ordered a new frame and I'll keep the old one just in case....

MC

Do you still have the noise from the front mentioned in your Nov 14th post?
I had the same issue, mine turned out to be wheel bearings but it took almost 6 months of driving until it got worse enough for me to identify it as I couldn't feel any movement or replicate the sound by spinning the wheels with the car on jacks.

Nice to see an update on the cab, what's happening with 'Pinky' and the other projects? 👍

Yes I still have the noise from the front. When I've done the manifolds I'll see if I can get a second opinion on it. My corrent fear is that it is a bearing in the gearbox which would be an engine out job.

I've just been driving around in Pinky, not really done anything to it recently other than change oil and filter. I'm a bit stalled on my GT3 engine at the moment whilst I figure out what to do with the wiring loom and oil pressure sender, and on the other engine project we should have some movement very soon as we are getting exhaust manifolds fabricated.

I took the rear bumper off and aluminium impact bar as well as the covers. So quick and easy when the bolts aren't all rusty.

Next job is to drop the silencers off to give better access to the manifold bolts.

MC

I have got more of the exhaust off now and cleaned up the manifolds and brackets with a needle scaler, this is what it looks like....

I have one of the catalysts off after a load of grinding, but that is it.

So two hours in I'm looking at these bolts and wondering how on earth I'm going to remove them.

Open to ideas.

MC

I'm attacking these with a die grinder to remove the tops of the bolts in the hope I can then remove the manifolds, first two done, 10 to go.

Taking about 15 minutes per bolt at the moment.

MC

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back