Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Project C4 Lightweight

Forgot to say, when removing the upper rear side panels the clips will probably become unusable as they're quite weak. Replacements are around 90p each, part no. is 99950747901
The lower side panel ones are much bigger and will probably be fine.

Cleanhands said:
Forgot to say, when removing the upper rear side panels the clips will probably become unusable as they're quite weak. Replacements are around 90p each, part no. is 99950747901
The lower side panel ones are much bigger and will probably be fine.

Thanks matey, that's very helpful.

I'll start on the side panel insulation over the next few days.

I need to find a supply of Alcantara now that doesn't cost the earth.

In other news I sent off the oil to Millers for analysis, this is the oil that was in the car when I bought it, the oil was about 15months old with at around 5,000miles on it (not the 15,000 I erroneously put on the form).

These results don't look too bad to me for an engine that's 23 years old.

Attachments

• screenshot_2022_03_29_113816_168.jpg
    screenshot_2022_03_29_113816_168.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 1,286
Cleanhands said:
The rear belts and brackets are another 2.5Kg, was sure they felt heavier.

Haven't looked into it yet, but was the aircon pump easy? The American sites make it sound quite complicated, sure it isn't.

Can't vouch for this stuff yet as I haven't ordered yet. Was going to get some S/H interior panels and use this to lighten the black interior.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ALCANTARA-SIMILAR-LEATHER-LEATHERETTE-UPHOLSTERY/dp/B01HS0X682?th=1

Hi Cleanhands, I need to keep this as a 4 seater, as it's my only car (my wife has the practical estate car) and at least once a week I need to transport the boys in the back.

It wasn't too bad, using a borescope and some 3/8 wobble joints certainly helped but it wasn't nearly as bad as people had made out, although maybe I just have small hands

I saw that one and nearly ordered some however have since found this material which I've ordered a sample of so l can see how it compares to Alcantara.

https://www.yorkshirefabricshop.com...ather-soft-semi-sueded-finish-in-black-colour

Well this was a suprise, lurking under the ECU shelf was an old Motorola tracker. It wasn't the best installation job either, very amateurish wiring.

Heavy thing too! Almost 800g saved (it all adds up!)

I've got a tracker on my rear shelf too! It's stuck down real well though so I've not been able to lever it off, all the cabling gone though. There was some random birds nest of cabling in the front too. All successfully removed, very satisfying.

Some great savings, however weight loss can be addictive so be carefully 😁

Attachments

• screenshot_20220401_161713_samsung_internet_690.jpg
    screenshot_20220401_161713_samsung_internet_690.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 1,157
Gt3Owl said:
:floor: :floor:

Ever since i saw Sabine go around the n'ring in the transit van it seems that a bit of weight loss makes hardly any difference but driving skills make all difference, i'd sooner have a few lessons around the track to be honest.

Shalmaneser said:
I've got a tracker on my rear shelf too! It's stuck down real well though so I've not been able to lever it off

Maybe try spraying the adhesive with some WD40 with a short nozzle and work a screwdriver under it?

Gt3Owl said:

Hah it sure can! My wife keeps teasing me about anything I buy now saying "I hope it's a lightweight version"

Hooner said:
Ever since i saw Sabine go around the n'ring in the transit van it seems that a bit of weight loss makes hardly any difference but driving skills make all difference, i'd sooner have a few lessons around the track to be honest.

I think the 90mph top speed and high centre of gravity might have been more of a limiting factor in the lap time than the Circa 100kg of weight they removed. That said, she did go faster!

I'm not building my car for crazy lap times though, purely for driver enjoyment. I'll do the odd track day however it's still going to be my daily driver.

Now 130kg lighter! Which means I'm almost half way to my weight saving goal. This also means I'm fast approaching the end of all the low cost weight removal items.

Today's job was the battery.

Loving the thread! Been putting my TD toy 986 through a diet. Got up to around my weight out of her so far.

Some great bits in here, I'm not as die hard as you. For me A/C out and locking up the rear fin are my next moves. My A/C never worked and through a twist of fate I ended up putting a new starter and alternator in at a mates that coincidentally had a non-Ac belt laying around. So I've been running the shorter belt for a year now. Just need to rip the other gubbins out.

Just looked up your batter, can't believe how cheap it is. Will be interested to see how you get on, especially as yours is a daily. I'm running an odyssey as below:

https://batterygroup.co.uk/Car-Batt...NTepduP6mQqBX12uS3VxC7yQ9bbGPaZMaAszEEALw_wcB

Nowhere near as light as yours. It's not a fan of these below zero mornings either.

Loving the thread! Been putting my TD toy 986 through a diet. Got up to around my weight out of her so far.

Some great bits in here, I'm not as die hard as you. For me A/C out and locking up the rear fin are my next moves. My A/C never worked and through a twist of fate I ended up putting a new starter and alternator in at a mates that coincidentally had a non-Ac belt laying around. So I've been running the shorter belt for a year now. Just need to rip the other gubbins out.

Just looked up your batter, can't believe how cheap it is. Will be interested to see how you get on, especially as yours is a daily. I'm running an odyssey as below:

https://batterygroup.co.uk/Car-Batt...NTepduP6mQqBX12uS3VxC7yQ9bbGPaZMaAszEEALw_wcB

Nowhere near as light as yours. It's not a fan of these below zero mornings either.

Another little part I knocked together during my lunch break.

3D printed in TPU with a 4mm carbon fibre rod.

It all adds up!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back