Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Totalled 996 advice please

As stated earlier, even if you're in the right you still get stung in the future. Consider the drunken buffoon who walks in front of your car with cctv footage. You are 100% not at fault, yet you still get the pleasure of paying for the excess and you also get the pleasure of carrying the increased premium for the next few years.
Even though you were not at fault. Doesn't seem right.

Still no word from Insurance after sending in the full pictures and report as yet, I'm thinking of buying the salvage and repairing with second hand panels already in the correct colour as the rest of the car is sound, had a quote from a good repairer, but the new panels and paint job is writing off the car. Obviously I will never be able to sell the thing but for peanuts as catD/catC but what would you expect the salvage could be bought for?
Need to do the maths to see if it works out, seems a shame to scrap a good car..

Just cancel the claim and repair the car. Surely that's an option and prevents the car being a category write-off? :dont know:

Can you not take a payment in lieu of repair, that way you can get the car sorted yourself and it doesn't go on the register?

Payment off who? Other driver says its his fault. I'd let them decide knock for knock then don't claim. They can't wrie it off if no pay out has happened.

I'd be cautious about buying that to repair. That's not to say it couldn't be done well, but from the photos you're in for bonnet, wing, headlamp, front pu, bumper bar, a/c condenser, radiator, all manner of clips and brackets, probably some under tray. I can imagine the structure between the headlamp and the bonnet may have been damaged and if the wheel moved at all, the suspension and mountings could be damaged or at least need inspection. Damage is never less extensive than you first thought!
Good luck with resolving this. Horrible situation.

Because I would be left out of pocket significantly. Would Need the Insurance pay out to cover repairs and parts, it's still a pretty big bill. A repaired car is still going to put off buyers and devalue the car almost as much as a cat d/c as any ppi would easily pick that up

Unfortunately the other driver is trying to hold me responsible so unless a miracle happens it will go 50 50.

Just took a call from the Insurance, they have valued the car at 10.7k, and 3 for the salvage. 10.7 is a bit of a joke, I paid significantly more than that 5 months ago for the car.. How does one go about demanding a true market value?

Have you not tried finding the van? May only live down the road.

asterix_the_gaul said:
Just took a call from the Insurance, they have valued the car at 10.7k, and 3 for the salvage. 10.7 is a bit of a joke, I paid significantly more than that 5 months ago for the car.. How does one go about demanding a true market value?

Data collection:

50 mile radius of where you live, every 996 of the same age and mileage as your model on autotrader, PH & eBay. Be selective on what you show them, i.e. nothing under what you expect. Then if they disagree, ask them to produce similar data in their ball park that's local to you.

If it were me I'd enlist the help of Precision Porsche as they look after my car - I'd ask them to provide some examples of comparable cars to mine (that were currently for sale) to show the Insurance company what it would cost to replace like-for-like.

I've got three binders of receipts to go with that - one from the cars life previous to me, two from it's time with me.

Of course, the question there is whether your policy covers a like-for-like replacement, or if it's "book value" based on year and mileage.

:eek: What bad luck Jon. I reckon the kid has told his dad some story to mitigate the cause ie he was driving like a knob. Then he's had to stick with it to save his skin. Whether the non-independent witness will follow the same line and put himself in jeopardy of perverting justice is another matter.

Insurers won't have the appetite to fight it for you and will go easy option of split liability. But as Jonttt says they still get you back with the declaration at renewal :pc:

If you can buy back the car at the right price I can get it fixed for you for a good price if you want to keep it :thumb: Or I might know someone who will take it off your hands at the salvage price if it's deemed repairable.

Dash cams. There's plenty of them and I think there's a chap on YouTube 'techno geek' who has reviewed a load and worth a review. My daughter has a front/rear camera system that has a internal screen but that goes off after a few minutes. I bought a hardware kit off eBay for a few quid. Top tip buy a genuine microSD card from a trusted source not a fling flang cheapie as they recycle hundreds of times and can corrupt easily. Regular reformatting of the card also helps.

Salvage at 3k sounds like a good deal. The engine alone is worth more than that if you decided to break it. Someone I'm sure would buy it as is for more than 3k to fix and use as a track car or just to fix and have a super cheap 996.

Having said that the more the Insurance pay out the more they will expect for the salvage.

As Alex says, collect adverts within a reasonable distance of similar cars and send to the Insurance. Insurance companies generally make low offers and are prepared to negotiate. Do you still have a copy of an advert from when you bought the car? Receipt? The more you can supply the better you will do.

What value did you declare when you insured it with them?

Op

I've just gone through similar as a new driver crashed into our PARKED car and they offered to pay <4K when our workhorse of a BMW was worth 6.5k+

The valuer will regard bills as 'general maintenance' so our new / less than 200 mile :sad: shocks, pads, discs and 4x new Michelin Pilot sport tyres were all worthless when it came to the valuation.

I sent off numerous Autotrader ads for similar spec and they only budged to 4.7k. I'm now at the ombudsman stage.

With regards to the crash, I would say the evidence should be fairly self-explanatory. You need to point out the skid marks, damage to the bank etc but also the damage to your own car. If yours was stationary and there's no damage to the bottom / first impact is high up then you need to tell that story and get them to look at that evidence and assess it.

Also, it would be good if the 3rd party mention the van. That would corroborate your story but also lead them into a bit of a dead end - car in front of you, surely you are a victim in this...

With regards to buying back, I looked down this option as ours was lovely despite the mileage but unless you have the time it's a pita. Your car may now be miles away (mine was 150 miles away by day 2!) and it would need to be delivered somewhere. Your have to find the parts and get someone to assess etc. How much do you earn per hour - times this by the hours it will take to deal with the repairs to the car, is it really worth your effort?

I'd personally put my effort in getting a higher payout.

Hope it goes well.

1) If if does get recorded you do repair it and sell it just advertise at 20% less than comparable cars and don't negotiate on price. I've never had a problem selling a repaired car this way = people think no one will buy, it but they will, just be honest and document to damage and repair.

2) As Alex says, make a case that it has a higher value. Never accept their first offer!

3) it is still your car until 2) is settled - if you plan to buy back and repair do not let it out of your sight. If its on your drive don't let them take it or you may never see it again.

4) £3k buy back is a steal. Conseravltively the engine will sell immediately for £4k. Gearbox £1000. Someone will buy the wheels and tyres for £500-£1k, front seats £250, brake calipers £800, headlights £500 (£800 if xenon) etc etc etc

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
e46m3
Back