Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Smoke from exhaust on cold start

CardinalZeus77

Trainee
Hi guys.

My car has developed a smoking habit on cold starts.
White smoke from the exhaust smells like oil burning. Never had it before but started last week. Can leave a cloud of smoke but clears up after a while. Seems to drive fine. Anyone had this before? It's booked in with OPC in a few weeks.

CardinalZeus77 said:
Hi guys.

White smoke from the exhaust smells like oil burning. Never had it before but started last week. Can leave a cloud of smoke but clears up after a while. Seems to drive fine. Anyone had this before? It's booked in with OPC in a few weeks.

This sounds like early signs of Turbo failure or the oil return pipes from the turbo blocked or the internal valve not opening. Quite a common issue so I'm told. Let us know how you get on with the OPC.

Understand some smoke is normal and related to how oil residue is burned off, however would agree with Paul could be turbo trouble and think you're doing the right thing having car checked.

Last month mine was smoking alot and I was concerned so had it checked - the OPC replaced both turbos after they inspected it and found one turbo had failed. This was a 2017 car and thankfully was still under warranty.

Pau1 said:
CardinalZeus77 said:
Hi guys.

This sounds like early signs of Turbo failure or the oil return pipes from the turbo blocked or the internal valve not opening. Quite a common issue so I'm told. Let us know how you get on with the OPC.

Will report back once the OPC has looked at it.

So the OPC had the car and say it's the turbo lines and possibly the turbo too. Apparently a known issue with a service bulletin on the 991.2. They are going to order the parts and then book the car in. They will need the car for two weeks. It will take a while to get the parts and they will update me next week. They will check the turbos once they start the work and replace if necessary. Thankfully all work is covered under warranty.

Will report back once the car is booked in and the work is completed.

Engine is removed .. normally both turbos and oil lines are replaced .. we have done 2 of these so far .. one very low milage and the other 80 K .

Ask the OPC for the explanation of why these have failed and why they need the oil lines instead of just the turbos .

Or indeed .. ask for the service bulletin which explains the issue .

deMort said:
Engine is removed .. normally both turbos and oil lines are replaced .. we have done 2 of these so far .. one very low milage and the other 80 K .

Ask the OPC for the explanation of why these have failed and why they need the oil lines instead of just the turbos .

Or indeed .. ask for the service bulletin which explains the issue .

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I'll ask the OPC for an explanation and the service bulletin.

Push for the Turbo replacement if you can but glad it's all covered with the Warranty. Good luck.

Would be nice to see the TB too like mentioned.

I'm pretty sure that they fit a revised design of Turbo if replaced.

A quick update ... my car is in at the OPC and as well as the turbo lines the right turbo also needs replacing so they will order one in and do that too.

I had this issue and they replaced both...I'd be trying to push for that if possible.
Once returned , if both not done, when up to temp, drive it hard the. Switch off for an hour and restart..if there's smoke again, the other will need attn

Just had an update. Only the one turbo needed replacing and they've done that. Hopefully car should be ready for collection tomorrow.

Picked up my car this evening. Drove fine on the way home. Just need to go on a spirited drive to check all is ok. Will also check for smoke on cold start.

Attachments

• 20230707_183147_172.jpg
    20230707_183147_172.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 781
I've attached the service bulletin. In my case the turbo oil lines and right turbo were replaced.

Attachments

• mc_10143513_9999_643.pdf
    66.6 KB · Views: 54
So guys the smoke on cold start is back! Car is booked in later this month.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ors97
Back