Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991 Faults starting, auto start/stop and CoV

OttoOtto

Nurburgring
Car going to OPC for the following....

1. Engine coolant fault. I can't determine which CoV issue this is, PSE works but whether the sound symposer does I've no idea. No other issues that I can detect (except point 3 below). Don't think it's an actual cooling fault :?: (last time was the symposer CoV pipe disconnected).
2. Engine cranks fast for about 5 seconds (seems forever) from cold before firing and stutters just before firing. Suspect fuel pump pressure issue as well documented. Starts OK when warm but not instant.
3. Start/stop seems to have stopped working with all parameters met. Battery seems OK (always trickle charged), but I'm guessing this might be a battery issue anyway - eek! Can't think what else it would be as I don't see the vacuum system affecting that?

Grateful for views before I go to OPC - it's under warranty but just want to make sure I don't get 'stung' :grin:

Just to follow up on this, I looked at the battery on the negative terminal looks like 02 14. Is that second week/month of 2014 :?: In which case it's the original battery. I guess that's a fair lifetime for a battery - just thinking about looking for the best price for a genuine replacement or whether you can't compete with OPC price anyway?

Thanks, it's a good company but I have to have a genuine battery so no cigar.

Question though - would it be right that start/stop would not kick at all in whilst there is a fault registered on the dash (of any description but in this case "coolant fault") :?:

Sorry not to have replied sooner OttoOtto, been distracted for a while..

Our 4x4`s stop/start just stopped working a while back, it was seven years old and I just put it down to loss of battery efficiency combined with irregular usage and mostly short runs circa 20 mile round trips or so... Car now sold.

I take it you read over this thread where I too had a coolant error appear as a dash warning..
http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=152181&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20

911uk.com - Porsche Forum : View topic - 991 FAULT cooling system

In my case it would seem not to have been the vacuum circuit but the individual valve ops that caused the issue... From Forrester`s detailed investigations it seems there is one COV that can affect engine coolant temps, and "must be monitored in some way other than actual temps (?)" as at the time of my dash warning all temps were as normal.

Yeah paying OPC prices for a replacement battery stings a tad after a lifetime used to trade discounts and freebees...

Hope you get it sorted soonest.. :thumb:

...Update
So the car has been with OPC for 10 days now. At least I have a new 718 Boxster to play with. :drive:

1. On the coolant fault they say this is the vacuum pump and is being replaced.

2. On the long crank before firing they say they can't replicate the fault. This is frustrating as they acknowledge from the video I shared with them that it shouldn't crank for 5 seconds before starting. They did leave it over the long Easter weekend and said it fired immediately after a 4 day lay. My experience is that the long crank time occurs after 10 days or so of no use.

No sure what I can do about that other than wait for the issue to get worse :?:

So...after replacing the vacuum pump and one actuator, the coolant fault is sorted.

When I asked about the long crank time and rough idling on startup, they said the above might sort it out :? I did question that but was fobbed off with 'the vacuum system is complicated etc., it all interconnects'.

Anyway, since then it has started fine on some occasions but recently threw up 'reduce engine performance poss drive on' and 'fault engine control poss drive on'. It has also started with a rough idle and stalled several times from a cold startup.

Taking it out after numerous restarts to get the idle sounding right; it drove fine and all faults cleared after stopping and restarting during the drive.

If I take it back to OPC I can foresee another blank with them not being able to replicate the fault.

Anyone know if this is a clear symptom of a failing fuel pump?? I have a long planned trip on Saturday and concerned it might give up...

Grateful for thoughts - cheers.

HI Otto
I have a 991 3.4 2012, had a failed fuel pump last year, pre failing the car ran very lumpy on tick over and would go into limp mode, switching car off and on would sort it for a while but it quickly got worse, was difficult to start , when I plugged a ecu reader in it game me a few fuel pump issue codes, I got it booked into a garage and tried starting it the day before and it would only run for a few seconds so I had to get it taken to garage on transporter.

Pre that I also had a failed Cam Shaft Hall Sensor, this again caused the car to tick over lumpy and loose performance and limp mode.

Hope this helps

ian

HI Otto
I have a 991 3.4 2012, had a failed fuel pump last year, pre failing the car ran very lumpy on tick over and would go into limp mode, switching car off and on would sort it for a while but it quickly got worse, was difficult to start , when I plugged a ecu reader in it game me a few fuel pump issue codes, I got it booked into a garage and tried starting it the day before and it would only run for a few seconds so I had to get it taken to garage on transporter.

Pre that I also had a failed Cam Shaft Hall Sensor, this again caused the car to tick over lumpy and loose performance and limp mode.

Hope this helps

ian

ians said:
HI Otto

Hope this helps

ian

Thanks ian - all sounds very familiar. OPC confirmed today that both issues you mention could be the cause. They did say (when it was in last time) that there was a low pressure fuel fault recorded but that was a few years ago. So they want it in for a 'while' :x

I'm erring toward the HP fuel pump but we'll see - probably both issues knowing my luck :grin:

Difficult to know whether the lumpy idle triggers other unrelated engine management lights. I'm not having any issues on the road.

Hope they get it sorted Otto

I purchased a ICarsoft POR11 ecu reader which was so helpful, I would hope the dealer should have more of a idea what the fault is with looking at the fault codes.
When my fuel pump went I was getting P1024/P1027/P1026 which were all high pressure fuel pump related faults, I took this to a Porsche dealer and asked for a new fuel pump which they were very reluctant to fit and wanted to take all the fuel lines off to check them first , I just told them to fit the pump and it was on my head if that didn't fix the problem.

The cam sensor gave a fault of misfire and one bank of cylinders, cannot remember what the codes were

Regards

ian

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
concept303
Back