Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Side sill trims - removal?

X911

Silverstone
About to send my C4S in for paint on the rear arches and also where the aluminium sill plate has reacted with the chassis surrounding it and caused some light corrosion.

My body shop guy explained to me that it’s incredibly difficult to remove these sill plates without damaging (bending) them. So just wondered really if anyone’s had any success in removing them and if so what is the right technique?

I assumed they are bonded on so I was thinking a heat gun and some strong fishing line to break the bond?

Any suggestions most welcome…these things are best part of £1,000 to replace so I’d rather salvage what I already have if at all possible!

Yeah, hear it is a pig to remove them without damage.

I luckily picked up a new set of the brushed metal ones on eBay last month for £35! Brand new, still in the Porsche bags.

I must say, I was after "Carrera" ones, and all the ones I saw were for Carrera 4 and 4S, so maybe have a look on there?

My guess is some serious heat on them and then prize them off.

I've read somewhere, heat first (as suggested above) and then use "fishing wire" to seperate the trim from the car...

Good luck!!

Thanks guys. May give this a go myself prior to sending it in for the repair work.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ravioli
Back