Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

shopping help needed..

Bingbong

Don't wish to scare off proper "blokes" here with talk of shopping but this is proper shopping,
I'm new to Porsche ownership but have licked a lot of Porsche windows in my yoof :grin:
Having found a lovely silver Carrera NB from 94 completely original i'm keen to make some mods. I have the HID and LED kits at home ready for fitting but I've decided BBS LM wheels are for me. But I'm having difficulty in finding a supplier. I've looked at the featured ads here but must be missing something. Can any of you knowledgeable gents or ladies point me in the right direction for a purchase? Tied in with this is suspension, obviously, I'm leaning towards bilstein Pss10's but I am still researching options. I might have to seek some professional advice as if I want to take the handling aspect further on in the future I don't want to waste money on suspension that I'll have to change later. Also I looked at getting "big Reds" I'm shocked at the price of the kit :what:
all comments and advice welcome
cheers
David

Agreed carnewal will give you a fair guide on prices and he seems to only offer for sale what he can actually supply unlike some retailers :wink:

New BBS LMs ouch, have fun working out the optimal offsets, you need to make sure you get them spot on so get the ride height / suspension to your liking and settled first unless your leaving plenty of scope for clearance but the visual appeal is never the same unless you push the boundaries with LMs IMHO

New big reds ouch

If you need shopping help, then you need my wife.

However...

Use the car for a bit. Spend money on the things that YOU think will make it better, rather than what you find on Internet forums. When you find what you think is needed, feel free then to ask advise.

But don't do things for the sake of it.

:thumb:

PeterS said:
If you need shopping help, then you need my wife.

However...

Use the car for a bit. Spend money on the things that YOU think will make it better, rather than what you find on Internet forums. When you find what you think is needed, feel free then to ask advise.

But don't do things for the sake of it.

I understand totally what you're saying. But I do want it to look right . And from the driving experience, it's a little soft suspension wise for my liking and the brakes needed a good firm foot to get some bite. Sure I know brakes can be improved without going down expensive avenues and I'm by no means committed to new bigger disks and callipers, that was just a comment. As far as sizing up some LM's I'm surprised by the lack of information having seen so many 993's with them fitted :what:
Thanks for the answers chaps, more tips and advice welcome, I do intend to live with the car for quite a while before committing loads of dosh :D

imagejpg1.jpg

Is this a narrow body car? It doesn't have an S badge so I'm assuming it is. This is just right in the looks dept to my eye. 8)

PSS10 is a great kit. You probably won't want to go any stiffer with the springs. I did briefly and for the road, with the chassis being as old as it is, it just didn't work for me. With uprated springs and damping I would also recommend a ride height drop to RS +10mm or RS +5mm ride height. I would also recommend uprated engine mounts and solid side section bushes at the rear. Both of these do an awful lot for the dynamics and stability of the car in yaw and hence you can be far far more commited with the thing on turn in. Some uprated anti roll bars complete the package and also give you some front to back balance to fiddle with too. Finally, on top of all that, stock RS geometry is just about perfect, taking out a lot of the stock Geo's undetseer but without making the car poorly mannered or edgy.

As always though, one mans stiff is another mans nightmare and I base the above purely on your simple comment that your car feels too soft. Its always best to decide for yourself and try and get rides in other cars to get some sort of feel for where you think you should be heading and where you might end up. Don't get too bogged down in different dampers though. Fundamentally the spring rates will set the relative hardness/softness of the car and this is what you need to get rght first of all. Ride height makes a big difference to teh overall compliance and so too does 17" vs. 18" rims.

Thanks Jackal, great reply, I'll research the handling options some more.
Thanks

Flightrisk said:
If I was going for some 'non-standard' wheels I'd give these serious consideration...

http://www.fuchsfelge.de/index.php?id=195&L=1

:cloud9:

These are No2 on my list :mrgreen: I do like them a lot but BBS LM's do look a bit more suited to the car IMHO

My local guy said he had some used LM's that I might like. Cool! lets see em... unfortunately they came off a GT2 and were just a tad too wide for my NB :grin:

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

:nooo:

Shame as I thought I was on a winner there for a minute

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mike 964 speedster
Back