Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Shocks & springs replacement - OEM or aftermarket coil-o

Super_Ray said:
I think I am right in saying you are better off with 997 top mounts. Slightly improved, more readily available and therefore less expensive as a result.

Anyone else confirm as its something I need to do myself

thanks, Ray

I'm booked in at Centre Gravity next month to have the top mounts done and mentioned the 997 mounts and this was the response:

'I'm afraid whilst the rumours of the 997 4WD mounts fitting is true - what they don't tell you is it restricts the caster available so thus makes the geometry compromised (you can't get the geo in spec as it happens.)"

I've therefore opted for the standard 996 top mounts.

I have the 997 C4 top mounts on mine. Don't recall it being a problem with the geo when I had it set up. :dont know:

Just remember that as you have a C4 your options are slightly more limited to those with a C2.

Bilstein B4 is the same as the OEM, slight improvement over the original OEM design, also now available in M030 spec as well as standard. Around 10% firmer than the original Bilstein said.

The B6 is roughly 20% firmer, however not sure if they meant 20% firmer than the B4 or than the original OEM damper?
And thought the M030 is meant to be around 15% firmer than the standard damper too.

I went with the B4 M030, I was all set for the B6, guessed it would be as well damped but being mono slightly better control, but then read someone who when they got the B4 M030 kit fitted, was so impressed that when he then changed top mounts swapped for B6 and said he noticed no real difference, in fact found the B6 slightly too firm.

So stuck with the B4 M030.

What I would say is the rear still feels a bit too over damped compared to the front, I now wonder if the B6 might have been better? Sure the back would be slightly firmer, but I think the front would be considerably firmer and maybe a better balance? Who knows?

My rears were fine, my fronts were starting to go, not badly, but at 20 years and 130k miles they needed doing.

Koni don't offer their product for the C4 cars, well no front damper option available as yet.

I'm never sure about coilovers unless they are a kit with loads of feedback on that model and you have someone who can dial in the Geo and set them up properly.
I think sometimes a new well set up non adjustable damper and spring set with decent geo can be a better bet.

I've recently replaced my bilstein coilovers with koni special active shocks and vogtland springs and found the low speed ride when driving around town improved, I think I can hear the valve open when I hit a big bump or pot hole, were as the coilovers would crash over bad roads, the coilovers were a little better damped during fast road driving but I couldn't cope with them round town.
The koni active dampers get thumbs up from me.

Carl

Shalmaneser said:
Paynewright said:
I fitted a replacement M030 kit on mine (when you could still get them). I find it very slightly too harsh.

If I was changing them again I'd go for Koni Special Active dampers. Not sure on springs - near OEM spec and lowered a tiny bit probably.

There was a forum member posted recently who had fitted the konis and was very pleased with the set up.

Also, I think coil overs are a bit overkill for a mainly road car.

WRT the M030 I would agree, although at higher speeds and on track M030 is nice. I might be tempted to also go for a Koni/H&R or Koni/Eibach combo also. Often aftermarket springs are progressively wound so don't negatively affect road comfort much if at all.

Do the Konis get rid of the crashy low speed ride?

Thanks for all the comments everyone, I've bitten the bullet though and ordered a set of B6's with standard Porsche springs and OEM-pattern 996 top mounts and all the washers, bushes, bearings, boots etc needed. Will hopefully all be fitted the week of the 21st.....

Did you go with the Spyder Performance top mounts by any chance? CG advised me that they only recommend OEM Porsche top mounts, however, I am still very tempted by these not least because they are at least half the price of Porsche parts and I've read good things about them.

Having a few other bits done and CG are supplying Meyler arms

I've been getting pretty much everything for the car from Design911, so for ease just ordered all the suspension parts in one go from them, the top mounts are Meyle or equivalent. The car is 20 years old at the end of the day so can't justify fitting Porsche parts everywhere especially when lots of the time they are actually just Meyle (or whatever) in the box.

I've been getting pretty much everything for the car from Design911, so for ease just ordered all the suspension parts in one go from them, the top mounts are Meyle or equivalent. The car is 20 years old at the end of the day so can't justify fitting Porsche parts everywhere especially when lots of the time they are actually just Meyle (or whatever) in the box.

A bit late but my C4 came fitted with a set of BC Turbo adjustable height coilovers and springs.

The ride was very firm (set midway between hard and sof on the adjustment) and very low. Being adjustable I was going to raise the ride height to a normal setting but decided to sell the car and the new owner loved the stance of the car. So my vote would have been fit the ones I had and then set the ride height as you liked it.

Have bitten the bullet this morning and ordered a set of KW V3's (and OEM top-mounts all round) through RPM Technik, will be possibly 8 weeks before they arrive but can't wait and will let you know what they're like once fitted....

The plan is to have them at their max height, which should only be c. 20mm drop.

Space Cadet said:
Have bitten the bullet this morning and ordered a set of KW V3's (and OEM top-mounts all round) through RPM Technik, will be possibly 8 weeks before they arrive but can't wait and will let you know what they're like once fitted....

The plan is to have them at their max height, which should only be c. 20mm drop.

Reviving this old thread as I am in a similar position for my c4s and have no clue what shock absorber to go for. I am on a tight budget just wondering how your setup turned out at the end? Happy? also like the oem feel but a touch sportier would not hurt. Can't lower and can't go too sporty where we live. Country road are not the best!

porkchops said:
Reviving this old thread as I am in a similar position for my c4s and have no clue what shock absorber to go for. I am on a tight budget just wondering how your setup turned out at the end? Happy? also like the oem feel but a touch sportier would not hurt. Can't lower and can't go too sporty where we live. Country road are not the best!

I know CenterGravity have been developing a kit with bilstein for the 4wd cars, not sure if it's generally available or pricing....should be lovely as they have developed it :)

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdowrick
Back