Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Shocks & springs replacement - OEM or aftermarket coil-o

Space Cadet

Spa-Francorchamps
I've recently replaced ALL the coffin-arms, wishbones, control-arms, ball-joints etc etc etc.

The only thing suspension wise left now are the shocks, springs & top-mounts. I don't want to change the ride height, or 'comfort' of the standard suspension therefore initially thought I would just replace like-for like with new OEM parts, was surprised though at the parts cost of doing this c. £2k, which I am 'happy" to do, but then there are some good quality aftermarket coil-over kits for around this price and which would presumably be more modern tech than the original shocks..... (possibly I'm incorrect?)

On the basis that I want to maintain the same ride height and comfort are there any suggestions please?

Most of the coil-over kits I've seen all drop the height by a minimum x-mm, none say they will maintain the height.

Thanks!

Personally I would look at Koni and GAZ offerings neither of which was available when I fitted Ohlins. Keep the spring rates close to the standard car.

I fitted a replacement M030 kit on mine (when you could still get them). I find it very slightly too harsh.

If I was changing them again I'd go for Koni Special Active dampers. Not sure on springs - near OEM spec and lowered a tiny bit probably.

There was a forum member posted recently who had fitted the konis and was very pleased with the set up.

Also, I think coil overs are a bit overkill for a mainly road car.

Thanks all, as suggested have given Gaz a call, am looking into having some standard height and standard spring rate coil-overs made up....

I've just fitted a set of Koni Sport dampers with Eibach lowering springs.
If you keep the original springs you'll be impressed with the ride compared to what was stock.

Are you happy with the ride and handling of the existing shocks and springs?

Center Gravity tested my 4Ss original shocks on 115k miles, they were absolutely fine, plenty of life in them, springs also were good.

Chris said they last a lot longer than people assume.

Robertb said:
Are you happy with the ride and handling of the existing shocks and springs?

Center Gravity tested my 4Ss original shocks on 115k miles, they were absolutely fine, plenty of life in them, springs also were good.

Chris said they last a lot longer than people assume.

Thanks, yes am happy but I think they feel a bit tired, plus aesthetically they're rusty/flaky, at the very least I think the top-mounts need replacing, so in for a penny in for a pound....

I've gone back to thinking I should just replace like for like with new OEM/pattern parts as a) I want to keep the original ride & height plus b) it would remain as original when the time comes to ever sell. The jury is out but giving it lots of thought...

I read somewhere (probably on this forum) that there is an equivalent OEM Bilstein shock. B6 seems to ring a bell.

Perhaps do more research / googling on the topic.

One thing to consider is that new original shocks are 20 year old technology. Things have moved on. The Koni special active have adaptive valving and respond differently to small and big bumps.

Its a big investment choice so worth doing the research.

Shocks / Springs / lowering is a big thing in the VW transporter world. There are some makes of shocks that would definitley put me off buying a van. Koni, Bilstein I'd be happy with.

Paynewright said:
I read somewhere (probably on this forum) that there is an equivalent OEM Bilstein shock. B6 seems to ring a bell.

Perhaps do more research / googling on the topic.

One thing to consider is that new original shocks are 20 year old technology. Things have moved on. The Koni special active have adaptive valving and respond differently to small and big bumps.

Its a big investment choice so worth doing the research.

Shocks / Springs / lowering is a big thing in the VW transporter world. There are some makes of shocks that would definitley put me off buying a van. Koni, Bilstein I'd be happy with.

My 98 C2 Cab came with a set of almost new Bilstein B6 dampers and the ride is spot on for me.

I fitted Bilstein B10 Coil overs to my VW Transporter campervan conversion and that was night and day, when compared to OEM shocks and springs.

Bilstein is a good option for OEM quality.

The M030 kit is great and used to be very cost effective, but I think prices on them have gone up so I would look at a set of Koni / Bilstein shocks and keep the OE springs.

Thanks, have a quote for OEM Porsche springs and Bilstein 'original' dampers. I understand the OEM dampers were, or are now at least, Bilstein.

Just had a look at B6's and they are listed as being "Sports" dampers (but standard height) as opposed to B4 "Standard" dampers. I'm not adverse to fitting some slightly "sportier" dampers but as mentioned I quite like the standard ride (MO29 I think it is)....

Right - just spoken with Bilstein and also done some Googling, B4's as thought are a standard replacement, B6's are the more 'sporty' upgrade (about 20% stiffer I think it was) but they're also a mono-tube design as opposed the B4 twin-tube, so they're actually a much better design of damper.

I reserve the right to change my mind, again, but think now I will go for standard top-mounts, springs and then the B6 dampers..!!

I think I am right in saying you are better off with 997 top mounts. Slightly improved, more readily available and therefore less expensive as a result.

Anyone else confirm as its something I need to do myself

thanks, Ray

Paynewright said:
I fitted a replacement M030 kit on mine (when you could still get them). I find it very slightly too harsh.

If I was changing them again I'd go for Koni Special Active dampers. Not sure on springs - near OEM spec and lowered a tiny bit probably.

There was a forum member posted recently who had fitted the konis and was very pleased with the set up.

Also, I think coil overs are a bit overkill for a mainly road car.

WRT the M030 I would agree, although at higher speeds and on track M030 is nice. I might be tempted to also go for a Koni/H&R or Koni/Eibach combo also. Often aftermarket springs are progressively wound so don't negatively affect road comfort much if at all.

Do the Konis get rid of the crashy low speed ride?

Super_Ray said:
I think I am right in saying you are better off with 997 top mounts. Slightly improved, more readily available and therefore less expensive as a result.

Anyone else confirm as its something I need to do myself

thanks, Ray

Chris at CG said so, if memory serves, though not sure on the relative costs.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back