Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rust/Paintwork

justk2020

Trainee
Hi all

My 996tt has rust on arches and its getting worse especially after i chipped the paintwork nearby.

The body shop said this is pretty much a whole side spray job to blend in any repair. That isnt really economical given the value..but maybe.

However asking here first for opinions if there are more localised (albeit not perfect) solutions?

See attached pictures

Appreciate any help and recommended places to take it.

Regards

K

Attachments

• 20230608_195123_990.jpg
    20230608_195123_990.jpg
    796.3 KB · Views: 1,552
  • 20230608_195117_197.jpg
    20230608_195117_197.jpg
    616.8 KB · Views: 1,552
They're yankin your plank.......go somewhere else.

...agree, contact a mobile smart repairer...minor issue unless the rust has taken hold; looks like it hasn't?

Thanks for the help

Just to clarify....its the rear one that prompted the bigger quote.

And i do think there is quite a bit of rust behind there...lots of bubbled paint along the rim of the arch. But yeah...still fairly local.

If it had "taken hold"...what would be the "good enough" repair for a more significant rust problem there?

Cheers, k

That rear one looks a little concerning to be honest. Having gone through something similar there will be more lurking beneath and in that area the cars seems to rust from the inside out so it could get messy.

However its in no way uneconomical to repair. A decent bodyshop will be able to repair, the original one just sounds like they couldnt be arsed doing it so came out with that.

Yeah I am expect there is going to be work to get rid of rust, build back up etc....but just hoping th spray work is more limited.

Would appreciate any recommendations on bkdy shops in southeast...based near Epsom...but pretty much anywhere south east works...quality over convenience.

Cheers, K

I had the same problem with my 996; in the end I had the rust cut out rewelded and had the sills resprayed with the proper plasticised paint.

It was a keeper (at the time) so I didn't mind spending the money and it brought it back to pristine condition.

I wished I'd done when I first spotted it mind - both the deterioration and price didn't improve with age!

Attachments

• abfm6111_15_226.jpg
    abfm6111_15_226.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 1,375
If it was my car the first thing I would do is buy a pot of Kurust and paint it over the rust to protect the panel.

I agree that a smart repair is probably a good route but considering where the rust/paint needs doing I would just clean up the area and with a can of stone guard spray in the tiny area where the stone chip used to be and then carefully brush paint with the appropriate colour.

It sounds a bit back street but that is what bodyshops do, they clean and prep the area and brush on the finish, and as it is going over stone chip no one is the wiser and the damaged is repaired,

Although you did allude to there being more rust damage than at first look. If the panel has not rotted through then you need to act quick to save it so give it a clean and a coat of Kurust or similar rust converter and then decide what to do afterwards.

I think you may struggle finding a smart repairer who will touch it. I have a little run around that has some rust on one of the door sills and tried several smart repairers...none would touch it. They just want to deal with scratches and scuffs and the like. Traditional body shops are likely to be your best bet from my own experience. Hope this helps !

As others have said you need to remove the skirt etc to see the extent.

I think the body shop are probably right to account for doing the entire side. I would rather expose and then make that decision as rust can come back/spread elswhere if not isolated/repaired correctly.

It is surprising what can be lurking behind seemingly good paint! My car appeared spotless when I bought it, a month later and two small blisters and once we investigated there was a hidden problem. Ended up having the whole side of the car painted to avoid blending the silver and get a match. It was definitely a full bodyshop job. Good luck with it.

Attachments

• img_20230306_wa0043_105.jpg
    img_20230306_wa0043_105.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 987
  • img_20230227_wa0004_229.jpg
    img_20230227_wa0004_229.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 987
  • img_20221128_wa0008_147.jpg
    img_20221128_wa0008_147.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 987
1 had what I thought was small bubbling 0n the arches

It required a new front wing and the repainting of both sides of the car
The body shop that did the work are seeing more and more 996s with the same sort of damage

Rust/paintwork

My son has a 2003 BMW E46, rust had taken hold of the rear arches. They cut out the affected areas and did a fantastic job on the paint work at a very reasonable price. I do not know where you are located but the company is called Pro line in Earls Barton. Gareth Jones is the owner and they take real pride in their work. I bought a high mileage 997.2 which needed a repaint, again a fantastic job at under half the price others quoted [/u]

Re: Rust/paintwork

KarlRS said:
My son has a 2003 BMW E46, rust had taken hold of the rear arches. They cut out the affected areas and did a fantastic job on the paint work at a very reasonable price. I do not know where you are located but the company is called Pro line in Earls Barton. Gareth Jones is the owner and they take real pride in their work. I bought a high mileage 997.2 which needed a repaint, again a fantastic job at under half the price others quoted [/u]

Im fearing this on my e46 m3 :sad:

...looks to me like the silver C4s had been repaired previously; covering up the rust rather than removing it which is why it was so bad!?

...chasing and dealing with rust is a complete nightmare :nooo:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back