Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PSE Exhaust vs Top Gear Sports Sound

JamesB78

Hi,

First time poster on here.

I have a The Porsche switchable system fitted to my 99 blt 996 C4.

The silencers are now shot and splitting along the seams.

The PSE system is permanently switched 'on' after the solinoids failed first within the last year. I love the sound at high revs, but a little boomy for town driving.

Does anyone know how the Top Gear Sport Sound exhaust compares with the PSE when switched 'on' in terms of sound?

It too sounds a bit boomy in videos, but the MILD version I have read is much quieter.

Any advice appreciated!

Welcome!

you might be surprised on the ability to repairs the PSE unless really far gone. In the process of having mine repaired and the seams looked superficially pretty bad so it might be possible. Might even be able to get the actuators looked at (unfortunately a silly £200+ each new...)

then again if you're looking for a tone change at lower revs it makes no difference, personally that range is the best bit with the deep grumble of PSE but for sure each to their own :thumb:

I've literally just done this swap. I absolutely loved the sound of the PSE but the Top Gear tone is definitely growing on me. The TG boxes are a lot more noticeable from inside but not to the point where you can't hold a conversation. At high revs there isn't a lot between them. I've done a little video but haven't got round to doing a proper one yet.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KhTvkksVGS8

Whereabouts are you James?

+1 for the Topgear

Mine had the PSE I replaced the boxes first then added the 200 cell cats after (xpipe).

It'd louder at higher revs with the 200 cell cats but was louder with just the back boxes on lower revs, obviously you have the 2 settings

Thanks for the comments so far.

@jamiews, thanks too for the video - are they the 'sound' or 'mild' version you have fitted? Raspy without the X cats and a nice deep pur with them!

I think unfortunately my PSE exhaust is beyond saving and as much as I love it it's a pricey direct replacement...

Why not get the Topgear valved version?

I have just swapped the Dansk Super Sound for the Top Gear mild system.

The Dansk was great if you're in the mood, but too boomy and too loud for round town. Hence the Top Gear, which feels a little deeper than OEM but similar.

That way you will get the best of both worlds?

I had someone local offer £100 to fit it, I thought easier to do it myself rather than get the car over to them (10 miles away) and then get home and back again later in the day.

Big mistake!

3 of the nuts on the plate snapped, so I had to weld on new fixings, and the last one was rusted on and had to come off with an oxy acetylene cutter.

£100 and a couple of taxis would have been far less hassle! :lol:

JamesB78 said:
Thanks for the comments so far.

@jamiews, thanks too for the video - are they the 'sound' or 'mild' version you have fitted? Raspy without the X cats and a nice deep pur with them!

I think unfortunately my PSE exhaust is beyond saving and as much as I love it it's a pricey direct replacement...

They're the 'loud" versions but tbh it's definitely not what I would class as a particularly loud exhaust personally.

The first part of that video is stock cats with the PSE. For comparison here's a PSE/Dansk video, but tbh the quality of Dansks was appalling (one of them fell to bits after 9 months and less than 2000 miles) and they had a very irritating weird rasp at about 3500-4500rpm, almost like you had a two stroke bike next to you.

https://youtu.be/nfclddK3XOk
https://youtu.be/8kBeganKQfQ

JamesB78 said:
Hi,

First time poster on here.

I have a The Porsche switchable system fitted to my 99 blt 996 C4.

The silencers are now shot and splitting along the seams.

The PSE system is permanently switched 'on' after the solinoids failed first within the last year. I love the sound at high revs, but a little boomy for town driving.

Does anyone know how the Top Gear Sport Sound exhaust compares with the PSE when switched 'on' in terms of sound?

It too sounds a bit boomy in videos, but the MILD version I have read is much quieter.

Any advice appreciated!

Welcome!

They love a Top Gear exhaust on here...and you'll be adding RSS engine mounts before you know it!

(added both to my To Buy list in the last month)

dont rule out the relay being the issue rather than the actuators. You can test by applying 12v to the pse vacuum solenoid in the engine bay. You should here the actuators close

You can bring the relay back to life by reflowing it or just buying a new one - circa £100

Another vote for the TopGear valved exhaust here - I replaced my PSE with one a couple of years ago and am very happy with it. I had mine installed by Northway who apparently hadn't done one before, but according to them it was an easy job and pretty much a straight swap. They wired it up to the PSE switch so it really is a seamless replacement.

It has a slightly more aggressive valves-open sound than stock PSE at lower revs and just gets better as you go through the range. Again according to Northway they sold another four TopGear exhausts in two weeks off the back of people hearing how mine sounded!

The only complaint I have is that it is slightly boomy at motorway speeds, so I tend to close the values when I'm cruising which I never did with PSE. But that's a small price for what is otherwise an excellent and well-priced drop-in PSE replacement.

What's all this "too loud around town" nonsense?

I turn my exhaust to loud when I enter the town, then turn it off for cruising on the motorway where no one else is likely to enjoy it.

I went from PSE to Top Gear Switchable with 200 cell crossover cats a couple of years ago.

Personally I love the sound and the flexibility.
It sounds very similar to PSE when the flaps are closed and a nice aggressive growl with the valves open.

No drone at motorway speeds and a nice increase in engine response.

The link below is a video I posted shorty after fitting.

https://youtu.be/LuMio5IUUYE

Thank you all for your input and videos.

I have taken the plunge on the Top Gear Sports Sound mufflers.

Cheers,
James

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janders365
Back