Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Possible rebuild

I do oil analysis and filter inspection every year which for me is 3-4000 miles. If they both look good and I've still got good oil pressure (I'm seeing 2 bar at hot idle on 0W-40) and even though in I'm gonna hit 120k miles soon, i have literally zero worries about the bearings at the moment.

As someone who has had an engine rebuilt, I feel qualified to comment.

Most views expressed so far, seem to me, to relate to what the poster feels is the most economically sensible scenario as they see it.

Indeed, these cars are not going to be valuable in the future. There were just too many built.

I think you can wait for either signs of, or if unlucky a failure. Of which there are several well recognised and published modes. Though now these cars are 20 years plus, the most common failure mode may change from IMS or bore score to main bearings or chain failure etc who knows? (As Ghianightmare suggests, maybe Hartech have the best data)

I was lucky and discovered (through monitoring oil filter at oil changes, and a slight drop in oil pressure at idle than was normal) that one of the main bearings was virtually shot

Alternatively, if you intend to keep the car, not sell it / try a different model / get an Audi or TVR etc etc. Why not spend less now, rather than more later when a failure has (possibly) caused debris to be dragged through the oil gallery's, pump, scoring crank journals etc. Making fixing it much more costly?

It's a financial gamble. Lots of members may suck up the cost of fixing a borked engine. Some will (unfortunately) sell to some unlucky garage or punter as they know it's on the way, others may sell on the rest of the car cheap for spares and repairs. The last two opinions are undoubtedly cheaper than splashing £10k plus on a rebuild.

These cars aren't going to be allowed to be driven on the public road, in the manner that some of us do, for many more years. I'm enjoying thrashing the pants off my Hartech rebuilt engine. It goes better than before, I'm happy it's reliable and will deliver for many years to come, rather than fretting over IMS bearings, bores going oval, bearings running up, etc etc. As a bonus it delivers at least 3 mpg more than before however I drive it, which goes to show how much tighter the piston clearance is now.

You pay your money and take your choice. Others might not agree but then it's not their money is it?

If you get your own engine out, get the bores re-rounded and restraining rings, I reckon Hartech could replace your bearings and fit the larger Ims for a very decent figure. The choice is definitely a matter of opinion though!

Good luck with whatever you decide. Cheers

Good points...

My view is for what my car cost me plus a rebuild I cannot think of another car I'd rather have.

I think a sensible program of servicing and oil analysis is the way forward though, to provide some flags as to when it might be due.

Also worth considering is an increase in capacity, to get something different for a modest extra outlay.

And with an extra 3mpg it will pay for itself!

Works out at only 335,000 miles and 67 years on current usage!! :thumb:

Jamesx19 said:
Works out at only 335,000 miles and 67 years on current usage!! :thumb:

Epic man maths! :worship:

It's a very difficult decision and one that I feel has no right or wrong answer! Oil change done today, magnetic sump plug still clean and the split the filter which also looked good. Ive sent the oil sample off so I'll post up the results. Talking things over with my Indy we both felt the car 'feels' strong but both understand nothing in life is risk free. The cars a keeper, I couldn't give two hoots regarding values, perceived or real as I love it and can't think of anything I'd rush to replace it with. If it was 'just a car' rather than a keeper I don't think it would concern me in the slightest in all honesty but I just want to keep it all right. My Indy is going to confirm a short block price. He thinks circa £3.5k, 20 hours of labour to swap and obviously some gaskets, aos etc etc!

20 hours labour :eek:

Is that engine out, strip, rebuild, re-install. Sounds a bit keen that!

I believe we get 32 hrs for a full rebuild , as this is a short block you would do it quicker .

Engine R&R is approx 8 hrs on a manual with 12 hrs on a tip .

The Porsche book times but again from memory , i've not done one in a while .

I will add .. that's whilst i'm not in favour of fixing something that's not broken .. if it makes you happy then do it ..

If it gives you peace of mind then again just do it.

As long as you have the funds to spare that is :)

Engine out, clean, brake pipes, short block build up, reinstall. Seems reasonable to me but maybe I'm wrong.

I'd be surprised on a new car, never mind one 20 years old.

Depends if he's giving me the £2k labour capped for a good customer though doesn't it I guess. They're plenty reasonable with me with that regards knowing that they'll make all their money back on someone as picky with cars as I am!!

ragpicker said:
I have a slightly different take on this in that I'm currently looking for a 3.2 M96 boxster engine to strip and rebuild. One with a ruined IMS would be perfect, as would most failures as long as the crank is likley to be ok.

My leggy boxster is on 160k miles now with no change in oil analysis and nothing in the filter, ever. The big end bearings won't last forever though and whilst she's running well with lots of miles on I intend to find a motor, rebuild it myself (plus/minus increasing capacity) and then put it into my 20 year old Boxster which will probably then outlive me.

My main reason for doing this is not preventative maintenance, its so I can learn to rebuild the engine myself. The car is my hobby and the expense is worth it to me just for this alone.

:thumb:

I had the same idea looking at either a 3.4 or a 3.6. Pick up a borked engine and slowly rebuild it up on the stand for a rainy day. However, in the last 6 months I've only found 2 engines for sale and both were working engines out of crashed cars. Admittedly I've not exactly been actively chasing engines down but where are all these failed engines? Surely they can't all be getting rebuilt?

Just a well meant word of warning.

We have over the years bought in a lot of engines from breakers to obtain hard to find internals for rebuild customers (currently have about 60 empty crankcases, lots of heads from smaller models etc but hardly any of the parts most frequently needed - as evidence).

We mainly were seeking crankshafts and cylinder heads for popular models but not cylinder blocks as we re-manufacture them anyway and customers often prefer to keep their original engine number.

But a very high proportion we found had cylinder damage - leading us to consider if they had been crashed to obtain an Insurance pay out and then the engines innocently put on the market by breakers afterwards.

So there is nothing wrong with a plan to do it yourself (and we applaud anyone who tries) but I would warn against not checking the engine you buy in as many breakers do not offer refunds.

Baz

When I recently boight a 3.2l Boxster engine from a breakers, I did so from one who could send me a video of the engine starting up and running before it was removed.

MC

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcox42
Back