Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Clutch slip

YPVS

Montreal
Hi all,

Ever since I've had my 98 3.4, the clutch has slipped if I try to give it full berries from a standing start. I had it down to oil contamination on the clutch plate, but when I recently dropped the gearbox to get it rebuilt for a pinion bearing whine, the IMS and RMS were fine, with no leaks and both had been done recently.

I replaced the 1/3 worn clutch friction plate anyway, with a Sachs kit of friction and spring plate, plus release bearing. I also replaced the salve cylinder with Sachs and using the kit from Design 911, replaced the worn release arm, pivot pin, rubber grommet and clip, with the updated version, which I think is just 997 parts.

It still slips if pulling away too sharply and can be provoked if changing down too fiercely. It won't slip under load though and putting it in 4th at just over 1,000rpm then burying it, the engine just pulls all the way with no slip.

I did wonder if it's just my cack handed clutch control, as I've driven auto cars for 10 years and my Cayenne and VW campervan are auto/DSG, but in the past I used to club race motorcycles and never had an issue with race starts on 250 2 strokes, which are tricky to get off the line.

I didn't change the flywheel, as it looked on good condition, didn't look that old and tested OK for slight movement.

It's not bad enough to drop the gearbox and is fine under normal, even spirited driving, it just needs a bit more care at the traffic light race start GP.

Does anyone else suffer this? Maybe I'm being impatient and it needs bedding in? It's only done 20-30 miles with very few stop starts.

Many thanks. I'd never have thought of that.

I'll add that to my "to do" list, for the spring. I just bought a second hand Stomski jig to do the headers and replace the manifold bolts with titanium studs, as the parts have been sitting on my shelf for a few months now. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ravioli
Back