Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New clutch - Didn't do any break-in... Is it bad?

hector986

Hi guys,
I think this will be a bit of crying for the spilled milk situation, but I need some advice. I replaced the clutch, flywheel, IMS, and RMS three weeks ago, among with some other services.
When I collected the gar, I wasn't told anything about clutch break-in. (I could have asked as well, so not entirely their fault) As I have never replaced a clutch before, I didn't even think about breaking it in.

I collected the car, drove around for about twenty minutes to warm up as I normally do (I was in town), and then I did a pull in first gear up to about 6k. I felt a clutch smell, and also the clutch pedal didn't respond as it usually do, like it got stuck for a brief moment and then released. I found it a bit weird, not much after drove home. The next day I took it for a spin, kind of same thing happened (smell), but now was I pull on 3rd gear to overtake on an A road. I took it to the garage, and said about the smell I was having after giving it some 'beams' but they thought it was a smell coming from something else, as the exhaust was new as well, etc. They kept the car for about 5 days, dit about 50 miles on it, and said I could collect it and it was alright. Again, no clutch break-in was mentioned, and at this point, I still hadn't thought about it.

Now it's about three week time in, I have been taking the car for some UK's B road drives, and using it as I was used to, mostly keeping 3rd gear, and rev'ing it up. Some 2nd gear pull for overtakes, sometimes 6500 rpm sort of thing. The car drives nice, I don't feel anything wrong with it.

But then I started reading about how to procedure with a new clutch, break-in period, don't go over 4k rpm, 500 miles in town minimum, take it easy, etc.

Do you guys think I've damaged my clutch? Would be something that I should do from now on, like taking it easy for some how many ever miles, something?

I would really appreciate your help, as I can't stop thinking I was a jerk and ruined the thing...

Cheers,
Hector

Attachments

• whatsapp_image_2023_07_28_at_180816_1_620.jpeg
    whatsapp_image_2023_07_28_at_180816_1_620.jpeg
    486.4 KB · Views: 385
Had a new (heavy duty) clutch with lightened flywheel last year, wasn't told anything about breaking it in. Drove it hard pretty soon afterwards with no issues.

If the car is driving with no issues I wouldn't worry.

No need to break it in, as said just drive normally. I've fitted hundreds of clutches and never had any issues at all. It will be a manufactures disclaimer. Clutch failed......you didn't follow the break in rules lol

Parsley said:
No need to break it in, as said just drive normally. I've fitted hundreds of clutches and never had any issues at all. It will be a manufactures disclaimer. Clutch failed......you didn't follow the break in rules lol

Thanks!! I really appreciate that. Yes, it drives like a dream, I can feel more grip than I had before with my old clutch, so yes, it's okay. I did the 5th gear test to see if there was any slip, and there's not.

Peace of mind, even more with the EPS IMS thing. So much better driving this car without even considering thinking about IMS. It is a different experience, for sire.

Cheers!!

isysman said:
Had a new (heavy duty) clutch with lightened flywheel last year, wasn't told anything about breaking it in. Drove it hard pretty soon afterwards with no issues.

If the car is driving with no issues I wouldn't worry.

Cool!! Exactly as I did. Take no prisoners !!! lol

Cheers!!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back