Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's - MO Branding?

I do quite agree with that they can't. They won't stop you or even take a second look what rating it is. However they would look if your involved in the wrong type of accident, so to speak. It could be deemed 'A contributing factor". To be fair it's a long shot but you never know if it's a bad one. This link has a few details. Paragraph 3 or 4 about using the manufacturer's recommendations.

https://www.rospa.com/rospaweb/docs/advice-services/road-safety/vehicles/tyre-safety-factsheet.pdf

I don't see the sense in scaremongering. It has never happened. That doesn't therefore mean it still could happen.

I'm not trying to scare anyone, it's just an interesting hypothesis. I have changed things on my car so I'm in the same position as the rest. If that's even a position? You could say this applies to any change you make. Depends on what industry you work in and the things you see.

Anyway can't talk anymore, just off to buy my MPS4😂🤣

You want the MPS4S, in that case.

I've got them on a Porsche and a Mercedes and no manufacturer rating in sight.

That's why I chose that tyre, yes I missed the 'S' off. It does say that earlier in this thread there not rated.

It's was only joke just to lighten the mood.

How much cheaper are the MO tyres compared to the N rated ones,

AND...... all this talk about Insurance claims........ I was hit on the M1 Jctn 21 about 18 Months ago late at night..... by a young driver in a Merc SL !

Turns out the car was his Dad's, had X2 bald tyres on the front. he passed me at warp speed but lost control and hit the cetral reservation came into me bounced off me into the armco again and back into me..... Eventually we came to rest, I grabbed my phone and filmed the Lad who basically said "It was my fault..... I lost control.... i was driving too fast..... i didnt see you !
He then disapeared down the embankment and was gone !

I rang the Insurance company the next morning, This Lad had grown into a 48 year old over night, who claimed the accident was my fault and had severe injuries..... After some stress and sending footage plus the pics the Police told me to take of the Bald tyres All sent to the Insurance company it was almost time for a Line Up to pick this Lad out even though he was plainly on footage admitting responsibility ?

Any way, they got Busted, he'd been driving less than 6 Months, The Dad lost his written off car, mine was a total loss and that was the end of that saga !

For the sake of 100 quid or so ? is it worth even fitting the tyre off a Mere, Especially if the tyre wall sits differently ?

Phil 997 said:
The tyres are the same the only difference is molds they come from though have the OEM designation, i.e. the SC3 with AO, MO or the star will all be built with the same construction and rubber just the mold has the emblem on it.

That isn't actually quite right.

The tyres can be quite different, same range of tyre, the 4S bit means it is designed as a fast road tyre that can also go on track, but they do vary.

The patterns vary between non marked, star rated (BMW), MO, AO etc. and so does things like the side protector and even the compounds.

BMW for example went with 2, or 3, different compounds across the tyre on their star rated 4S tyre, a much firmer compound on the outside 1/3 of the tread. This gives it considerably crisper turn in feel than the standard non marked tyres with the same speed and load rating.

Also, they often consider the size as well a little more when it comes to manufacture marked tyres, so as they wear there is never too much difference between front and rear etc. so the DSC doesn't play up. Little things like that.

Now, does it matter? IMHO.....Nah.
Will you notice a difference? No idea, in fact no idea if Porsche changed anything on their PS4 vs standard, maybe someone could ask them or Michelin? Michelin tend to be quite open about any changes they made for a manufacturer, in fact quite proud of how they can tweak their product to give the results wanted.

The BMW PS4S feels more like a Cup 2 tyre in many ways, it is very impressive. I can't see Mercedes asking for that, if anything I would imagine they would go more towards a standard PS4 in feel, but maybe that is a biased view of what I think Mercedes would want? They might have gone for even more feel? Only Mercedes and Michelin can really tell you that.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back