Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S V Bridgestone Potenzas

Jam911

Albert Park
I am having new tyres and a full refurb.

Looking at going from Bridgestone Potenzas to Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

Am I mental ?

I've got Bridgestone Potenza S-02A on my 996 Turbo, nice pattern and the grip is fantastic 👌

I was asking about these tyres on here last year and a few folk said the Potenza Sports are good but were known to wear out quicker than the MPS4S's.

Just had MPS4S all round on mine. Would absolutely do it again. Very pleased with the grip and handling.

...same...new complete set of MPS4s...to replace 6 year old N2 Michelins...

Minor thread hijack... but still on topic if you squint.

Like GMG I am planning to replace my 6 year old Michelin N2 tyres with a fresh set of MPS4S tyres. However some places seem to have a choice between the original wheel pattern and the DT1 pattern which is a newer slightly different tread pattern. The newer DT1 version is about £16 more expensive.

e.g.
https://www.asdatyres.co.uk/235-35-19?brand=michelin&range=premium

It can't be that much different but presumably enough of a change for it to be offered to customers at different prices. Would you mix DT1 fronts with non-DT1 rears?

They also offer Mercedes approved MO1 versions of the MPS4S tyre too. Are these actually different other than a marking?

And then they do a MPS4S self sealing option? So many choices of the same thing!

The Bridgestone Potenza S-02A is a firmer ride than the Michelin, harder sidewall.

Because of this it makes the steering feel far more precise and the the turn in is wonderful.

The Michelin is a comfier tyre, but imho doesn't feel very sporty at all. Not saying it is not sporty, because the grip levels, the way it tells you when it is about to let go at the back are all what you want from a sporty tyre, but it does feel a bit soft compared to others.
Even the latest N revision of the PS2 feels sharper, more direct, albeit at the expense of some road comfort compared to the PS4S.

So depends what you want from your tyre really?

Spinnaker, the different PS4S ratings can be very different. The standard tyre is hardly any sportier than the PS4, the BMW star marked tyres are much nicer, feel more like a Cup 2 with a much harder rubber on the outside 1/3 which brings back some of the steering feel and turn in that the PS4 seems to have lost, the Porsche N rated PS4S I have not tried, only because they were not in a size for my lowly 996, but I do know that they are meant to be quite focused and it is the same tyre as Jaguar use on their J marked version, so you can mix and match between N and J rated PS4S tyres no problem.

No idea on the M rated tyre, if they are the same as standard, as BMW or if Mercedes asked for something else?

I guess that is a long winded way of saying, only Michelin can tell you how the tyres differ.
Although is DT1 not what Michelin use to say that the tyre can be pushed harder and support higher loads?
They say do not mix DT1 and non DT1 tyres though, but DT1 could be a good option as they are probably stiffer, which is where many feel the PS4S falls down a bit.

I have run PS4 in winter and Cup 2s over the summer, but I think I am going to try something more focused as I did prefer how nice the steering was with Bridgestone S-02A's fitted. I just ordered the Michelins as I am a Michelin fan boy, but think I might go back or try something else that people say feels more focused.

I like to see what Jonathan Benson has been up to, and based on this test, I'd take the 4S over the Bridgestones, but I'm also wondering if the Continental Sport Contact 7s are available in our sizes.

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2022-Tyre-Reviews-UHP-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

I'm running 4S and I like them as a road tyre which can hold up at the track. I prefer them to the PS2 N2s which didn't last very long. Ideally of course I'd have another set of rims with Cup2s on.

That is interesting, his view on the PS4S....

The Michelin Pilot Sport 4S was fourth. If you've watched any of my previous videos you'll know I think this tyre gives up a little too much in dry handling on it's quest to be a tyre for everyone, and I'm sticking to that. As always with the Michelin, the grip is fantastic, it's really strong on the brakes, but it's steering has a big delay compared to the best, and it gives you little information at the limit.

That is a great way to describe it, that is what I meant when I said the car looses its ability to have this wonderfully precise steering feel that has this incredibly quick turn in.

However.......having said that, reading the rest of the review it reminds me just how much nicer it was noise and ride wise going to Michelin from the Bridgestones. So maybe I'll stick with these after all.

Nothing in life is for free.

Great answer gizlaroc, much appreciated.

My car is a daily driver although I do seek to do some longer European run and perhaps the odd track day here and there. My car has the non PASM sports suspension so actually I think the standard PS4S tyres might well be a good choice over anything that is going to further rattle my fillings out...

According to https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/tyres-advices/car-tyres-markings
DT1 means: "DT1 : New improve tread pattern, by Michelin."

I had Bridgestones on my 997.2 Turbo. The first thing I have to say is that my tyres were quite old and I think that was a major factor in me binning them.
I'm not sure how Michelin's hold up as far as age is concerned but I drove a Boxster on a track day and that had Mich's on and they held up and gripped really well for being nearly 6 yrs old.

The Bridgestones in contrast were on my Turbo when I took it round Donington. After just one lap all the grip had gone and it was almost like I was driving on a wet track, once they got hot they had no grip at all! It really was a scary experience and I can only put it down to the age of the tyre.

Ever since then I've run Michelin's and I can't rate them high enough. When I bought my car they had Pirelli's on and they were dreadful. Reversing the car with a bit of lock on caused them to judder and at first I thought my diff was locking up but it wasn't it was the tyres. Changed them to Mich's and straight away the problem was cured. Again I will say my Pirelli's were an old tyre and quite worn but still legal.

I often wonder why people don't notice how poor the Pirelli tyres are but thinking about it they come with most new cars so you don't have an option. Plus you have nothing to compare them against and I've been on a few Porsche run outs and when your avg speed barely gets above 40 mph the tyres are hardly being tested.

Tyres on these cars should really be changed by the time they get to 4, maybe 5 years old absolute maximum, the rubber just hardens too much.
If you start with a harder rubber to begin with that will just become even more exaggerated.

The Pirelli N rated, and the N rated Bridgestones and Michelins for that matter, use a harder rubber than the off the shelf version of the same tyres.

The Ackerman Effect, which is what you were describing, stands out far more with a harder sidewalled tyre. In fact Mercedes had a real problem with RHD GLC models a couple of years back where people were struggling to get out of their drives when needing to reverse out on full lock.
Their remedy was to swap all cars over for an all season, much softer, tyre.

Michelin rubber does tend to last longer than many other. I had an issue with Continentals a few years back and they started to crack after 18 months, you could see cracks between the treads.
I didn't notice the cracks, but I did notice how noisy the rears became and how crashy, I had moved to an E350 estate and it reminded me of the early run flats on our previous 535d touring (they lasted 3 weeks) it was that bad.
Continental sent someone out to look at the tyres, they took them away and gave me a report. Not kidding they said I had left them out in the sun too long! :eek:

I have not used Contis since then and doubt I ever will.

I think Michelins are probably the best all round road tyre for comfort and more than enough grip etc. but because they are soft you do lose some precision in the steering that is more than just slightly noticeable.
It's not right or wrong, just feels very different.

I would love to see someone test the PS4S vs the N rated PS4S back to back on the same car. Not even sure what sizes the N rated PS4S tyres are in?
Michelin are a bit odd, sizes they offer in Europe they don't offer in the UK.
Very frustrating.

Thanks both, that is really useful. I'm on the hunt now for a decent deal on a set of PS4S tyres.

Fitted a new set of PS4s, checking they were recently manufactured. Transformational in terms of reducing cabin road noise. Highly recommended.

Great, definitely worth checking manufactured dates. Reducing some road noise would be nice.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mike 964 speedster
Back