Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Manifold to Cat Bolt Removal

addavies

I seem to have developed a leak on the joint between the cat and the manifold. The bolts and nuts are pretty much gone so am trying to replace.

Looking for tips for removal. I've attached some photos of what I'm up against.

It appears to me that having cleaned the top bolt up a bit that the nut has completely gone. Do I just hit this out towards the back of the car?

Also, I' can't work out if the bolt head is still in place or if the circular area is part of the cat assembly so should not be touched?

Any advice appreciated...

Attachments

• img_20210830_194121_compress43~2_986.jpg
    img_20210830_194121_compress43~2_986.jpg
    620.8 KB · Views: 983
  • img_20210830_194259_compress84~2_190.jpg
    img_20210830_194259_compress84~2_190.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 983
  • img_20210830_194943_compress85~2_108.jpg
    img_20210830_194943_compress85~2_108.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 983
I used an angle grinder with a thin cutting disc to cut them off! Did mine recently when fitting new x-pipe cats, looks like yours won't need too much cutting!

In the last photo, what is left is smaller than the hole. Should I just be able to punch this through to the rear of the car or is there something stopping it? Do both sides need cutting away to free it? Was hoping to leave everything in place and just replace the bolts.

They should just knock out, easily. No heads left. To make sure nothing moves, when one comes out, put your new stainless one in, and repeat.

Your first pic looks like it's some kind of collar/spacer that's still in place. That'll come off when you knock em out

Yep, pressed in studs. Cut what's left off and then use a nail punch to knock them out and replace with marine grade stainless steel combo.

Quick update. Tried to punch the bolts through with progressively larger hammers with no success. It appears that they are indeed pressed in somehow Ike FZP stated. As I don't have the right cutting equipment to get to the back of the bolts I've booked it in with my local indy Zuffenhaus on Thursday where it was having a service done anyway. Will be interested to see how long it takes the experts.

Was wondering if pressed bolts is standard on all 997s or just the sports exhaust that mine has? :?:

The only thing left to try was heat and then punch. They'll have it sorted for you in no time

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ors97
Back