Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Steering column telescopic section r & R

Razzele

Hi all,

Following on from a previous thread and as part of the winter upgrade plan I’m going to replace the steering column.

IMG_5343.jpeg

Problem is I can’t for the life of me get it out!

I’ve been upside down under the dash for a good hour but it just will not navigate its way past the steering angle sensor on the main steering column.

So I tried undoing the steering rack bolts and moving the rack to get a little more clearance but that didn’t help much.

I also tried removing the steering wheel / instrument cluster in a vane attempt to remove or at least move the top section of the steering column.

Has anyone any tips / advice ? Next step I’m thinking is to loosen the front subframe and see if that gives. Up enough space to facilitate the repair, though I feel I’m going too deep and certainly into unknown territory by doing so !

Thank you in advance!!

Last edited:
from the net

I changed my steering column in effort to stop an annoying rattle. I got a used shaft from LA Dismantlers. In my case, the column was not the cause, nor were any parts of the shafts down to the steering box (all removed). My rattle was a factory flaw, loose bolt, which a high paid indy fixed for me after removing the entire dash.
The shaft alone is not as difficult as it is nerve wracking and painstaking. It involves removing air bag, steering wheel, instrument cluster, trim pieces, ignition switch, and section of steering shaft and u-joint. Reassembly must be done exactly or alignment is necessary (and reset of steering sensor if PSM equipped.)

1709661943733.png
My column removal
20200616_161701_a8ac5c4ff0d3554b5aa59b4e807368330c01caf8.jpg

My original column and replacement
img_20201223_123010_247ee2b71f8d08be71e98310da11b13b170748fe.jpg

Entire dash removed to locate hidden loose bolt

1709662192145.png

Thanks for your reply-

I ended up lowering the subframe to removed the sliding shaft as they call it.

Bad light stopped play for today- but hopefully it should go back together tomorrow.

Thanks for the link I’ll have to save that manual.

Cheers

🫡

Oh and thanks for the second reply too-

It’s not back together yet but I did manage to get the sliding shaft separate without quite as much dash dismantling.

This was more an exploratory dismantling and also it did actually shed some real light onto the area I was on IMG_5622.jpeg

Thanks for the link I’ll have to save that manual.

Cheers

🫡
For future refernce, all of them are here:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back