Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

MAF Clean ... P0050 error Code :(

Justian

Long story, so I will go with the short.

Cleaned my MAF sensor with a MAF cleaning spray. No visible residue left and it appeared to be dry. Left for an hour or so and upon start up. I now have a check engine and an error code of P0050 as detected.

Could this have triggered if the cleaner had not totally dried off?
Does this code need to be cleared / reset? I have also disconnected the batter to see if it would clear, but no joy. Car drives perfectly and all connectors are secure.

Surely the MAF sensor has not been damaged by cleaning it with a MAF spray?

Any advice would be welcome!

Did you disconnect yourt MAF? That would trigger the light if it was powered up. Just reset the code and take it from there.

I left it connected with the Ignition off.

it was WYNNS MAF spray.

I hope its just a error code that has been triggered that needs resetting!

I only have a ZUS OBD reader, so I don't think it has code reset capabilities.

All code readers have a reset function.

Did you actually check for fault codes before you cleaned the Maf ??

I'm guessing you didn't as if you did and there wasn't any then this is a hell of a coincidence .. it's not the maf .

The fault code info is below .. this doesn't say what sensor it is so a google and it comes back as ...

What the P0050 code means. This code is found when the Engine Control Module (ECM) has detected an issue with the heater control circuit for the bank 2, sensor 1 oxygen sensor. The heater circuit is used by the ECM to heat the oxygen sensor to proper operating temperature for an accurate reading.

Basically a P code is generic across all models so what it means on a BMW is the same on a Kia .. or in this case a Porsche .

It depends on what year the car is as early have 4 wire lambda sensors with the later ones having 6 and these are what we call wide band .. very .. very accurate .

I've seen heater faults on the 4 wire and it's usually the lambda sensor .. 6 wire and i've never seen it .

Technically it's either the lambda sensor , wiring or dme that's the cause .

This fault code .. unless open circuit to the lambda sensor will clear and not come back for 4-5 warm up journeys .. basically from cold to hot and several miles .. if there is a fault then it will come back in roughly this range .

You need to clear the fault code .. then drive it for a week and see if its back .

From memory it won't trigger an eml .. it may have a slight impact on the running of the car but that's hard to say without getting more in depth and i would need the car for that .

Attachments

• p1_1_178.jpg
    p1_1_178.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 1,777
Thanks - yes I have read that. The code P0050 came up exactly after cleaning the MAF sensor. Its the only thing that was touched.

Reset & monitor.

Why were you cleaning the MAF sensor in the first place? Might be relevent.

MarkC4S said:
Why were you cleaning the MAF sensor in the first place? Might be relevent.

Long story was my exhaust had some Lanoguard spray on it which burnt off as smoke only to be sucked back into the air takes.

A clean of the MAF sensor seemed like the best approach at the time :(

The codes is popping up less frequently now, so hopefully it's clearing!..

Good news is the underside is all protected for next winter.

If your tester can see values of the engine sensors then the maf should read 1.0 volts with ignition on engine not running .. if you or anyone else sees this value then a clean of the maf is not required .

The acceptable limits are 0.9 - 1.1 volts .. for me i wouldn't be happy if i saw 1.05 as 1.0 is correct and much outside of that will give an incorrect fueling .. the car can adapt via the lambda sensors .. but i don't like it !

See how you get on with the fault code but either way it's nothing to do with the maf .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dhaApex
Back