Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Little bit of mayo in oil filler cap

Am doing 30 miles a day (two 15 mile trips) at the mo, most of it in slow traffic. Noticed a little bit of mayo in my oil filler cap today (nowt on dipstick or in coolant water).

Just condensation?

Clearly need to drive it harder and for longer :)

coopertrooper2001 said:
Am doing 30 miles a day (two 15 mile trips) at the mo, most of it in slow traffic. Noticed a little bit of mayo in my oil filler cap today (nowt on dipstick or in coolant water).

Just condensation?

I'd keep a good eye on it.. I wouldn't expect condensation to create 'Mayo' - it's the chemicals in coolant mixing with the oil which creates that.

Prob worth getting your local Indy to take a look.

Mayo quite normal on engines that see plenty of short journeys. Like you say use it more :thumb:

Another vote for quite normal for short journeys.

Jamesyg said:
coopertrooper2001 said:

Just condensation?

I'd keep a good eye on it.. I wouldn't expect condensation to create 'Mayo' - it's the chemicals in coolant mixing with the oil which creates that.

Prob worth getting your local Indy to take a look.

If that were the case, how would you explain it in air-cooled engines?

The whole post is wrong, so it seems a little unfair to pick on just one aspect.

Fair play, my bad, before I get trolled! Sorry :dont know:

Is 15 miles considered a short journey? I would've thought the oil would be up to temperature within that distance.

eca02apc said:
Is 15 miles considered a short journey? I would've thought the oil would be up to temperature within that distance.

For me, yes.

I feel that my car really "prefers" journeys of say, 40 miles at a time.

eca02apc said:

Too short according to the results.

Unfortunately, *just* hitting OP temp may not be enough, as you now have to recycle the first 14.9 miles worth of water vapour-oil mix in the engine extremities back into the main block.

Ironically, by running exactly to OP temp, you have produced the largest amount of water vapour with the coolest overall engine.

Basically, the Mayo is a physical byproduct (it isn't even chemical, as it is a reversible emulsion) of the design.

It is not dangerous (even if it looks unsightly)

A run of 30+ miles is required really during winter months (ie to OP temp + at least another 15 "at load" - ie it can't be pootling)

If you can't do this today, do it tomorrow, but it doesn't really matter - no harm from the Mayo will result (so you are right, for the GENERAL health of the engine, running to OP temp only is about adequate, although all components would, on balance, prefer longer)

The car is a tool also, and so it needs to fit into your life too.

I am not suggesting no TLC and use it as a white good (not even Jap boxes like that), but likewise, in this instance I am not saying do two laps of your daily run just to clear the Mayo.

It would be good if it did get at least a weekly (weekend) stretch though :thumb:

Mayo is OK but smegma is a sign of being unclean :oops: Dont mix them up :hand:

Zingari said:
Mayo is OK but smegma is a sign of being unclean :oops: Dont mix them up :hand:

If you've got smegma in your oil filler cap then you have a much larger 'issue' than mere oil contamination :eek:

I avoid short runs (even starting the engine) when I'm not going to drive it far.

In winter this is my general ride :|

Attachments

• 1446634_f47f4326_105.jpg
    1446634_f47f4326_105.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 4,835

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPD
Back