Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Jethro's 996.3 creation with a 991 3.8 engine swap!

Interesting place to be that sideways :lol:

Still running halogen bulbs though, guess he has a trailer for night time then.

I ask this a lot, but does anyone have a scan of the eCoty 2000 piece that the 996 Turbo won? I would love to read it again, my copy long since recycled.

Robbidoo said:
Thanks. Apparently issue 27, Jan 2001.

I have it. Unfortunately my scanner is playing up at the moment so it will have to be photos of each page, unless someone can suggest another way.

It's 38 pages so I can't do it until the weekend.

Well there's absolutely no rush but I'm sure there are many of us who would love to read it again. I was driving a Rover 214SEi when I read it the first time around :)

photek said:
The latest Evo has a new article on Jethro's 996 :worship:

068-evo-307-Feature-Jethros-911_cskpbp.jpg

Promptly went out and bought the issue. Thanks for the heads up. 👍

Doesn't the 9A1 3.8 make 400bhp in a 991.1? I was surprised it makes 384ish in the 996, with the standalone ECU, all of the inlet and exhaust mods on top. Still it's a great build, decent read and I'm looking forward to a video at some point.

I said the same to a mate whilst discussing the car, but then gave the matter some further thought.

As you've said, the engine does indeed make 400hp in the back of 991.1 chassis, but what most motoring journalists report is frequently either incorrect or not quoted with a full and accurate context ...

With a decent manifolds and a largely unrestricted and illegal exhaust (no cats) along with a standalone ECU, a decent remap and intake mods (the latter of which are questionable IMO) there's no reason why on the dyno, in a temperature controlled environment the motor wouldn't make 430-435 flywheel horsepower.

However, Jake Raby quotes up to 20% loss on his rolling road dyno figures ...

2 min 57 sec here :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nsZfl3qSQ4

Which would equate to 350-355 wheel horsepower.

So I wonder which it is ? The engine making 10hp less flywheel horsepower than when installed in the back of 991 chassis ? Or is JB quoting an overly optimistic wheel horsepower figure ?

:?:

Arh, good point. Hadn't considered this.

I thought it was interesting that he'd considered both a factory X51 and a Hartech rebuild, but still opted for the 9A1.

If I recall, @Slippydiff you were looking into the X51 intake manifold side of things with a Hartech rebuild whereby you? Or did I dream that up?! 😂 if so, how did it go. I'm interested in going this route when the time comes. Cheers

1marc said:
Doesn't the 9A1 3.8 make 400bhp in a 991.1? I was surprised it makes 384ish in the 996, with the standalone ECU, all of the inlet and exhaust mods on top.

I think it's possible that either (a) Porsche know best or (B) the engine just can't breathe cold air at the top end through those two slots in the decklid fan shroud.

1marc said:

I thought it was interesting that he'd considered both a factory X51 and a Hartech rebuild, but still opted for the 9A1.

If I recall, @Slippydiff you were looking into the X51 intake manifold side of things with a Hartech rebuild whereby you? Or did I dream that up?! 😂 if so, how did it go. I'm interested in going this route when the time comes. Cheers

Hi Marc, IIRC Mister Corn and Dammit were looking into the benefits of X51 intake manifolds and plenum for their trick engine builds.

coullstar said:
Remember he is all American at the moment so its likely WHP and not FWHP.

If it is 390 wheel horsepower Graeme, that would indicate (according to Jake Raby of Flat six Innovations, who claims a 20% drivetrain loss on his rolling road dyno) it's making 470 flywheel horsepower, which isn't realistic for a 3.8 9A1 without some internal mods.

If however it were a 991.1 3.8 GTS X51 powerkit engine with 430 flywheel hp then it could be made to liberate 455-460 with some decent manifolds, cats, less restrictive silencers and some intake mods along with a decent live remap, which would equate to around 390 rear wheel horsepower. But I've read nothing stating the conversion used the X51 engine.

Slippydiff said:
1marc said:

Hi Marc, IIRC Mister Corn and Dammit were looking into the benefits of X51 intake manifolds and plenum for their trick engine builds.

Thanks buddy. Thought it was you for some reason. I need to do a search on their posts then and see what knowledge I can gain from their wisdom. 👍

Saw this the other day, the amount of work involved was mind bending, for what a layman would think would be an easy job. Stick a new Porsche 911 engine into an older Porsche 911 😂

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dhaApex
Back