Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Interior water leak ...

Watched an old Wheeler Dealers yesterday, Edd China put a smoke machine in a motor shut the doors and escaping smoke identified where water was getting in!
Got a be worth a try, you can hire them.

Sorry RoddyC4S , i missed this post .. bad deMort :wack:

The roof rail issue i had and it was damp at the top but did over a period of time run down the C pillar .. i dont think thats your issue .

If it leaked initially .. you have worked on things .. moved things etc and now it doesn't leak then i would lean towards you have already fixed this issue .

If with a hose pipe you have no water ingress then there's not really any further you can go with this .. it don't leak !

ref smoke machine .. funny you should say this as my Boss tried this on a car for wind noise a few weeks ago .. basically it didn't work as smoke poured out from many different areas .. the car is not sealed .. there are slam panels to let air out when a door is closed ..

Also just about every seal seemed to leak ( cab ) and the smoke machine gives off an oily residue .. our valeter was not best pleased lol .

Good in theory .. it might work .. but for us it didn't :)

Hi Demort

I'll leave it stripped out for a wee while just to be sure.

It leaked badly from the window corner before I gave it to my Indy, it flooded the rear corner and seat base in one night, he then got no leaks in the week he had it even after leaving it out in the rain all week. The very same night I take the car back home there's heavy rain and frustratingly the water pours in the same spot again!! .... and then since that night it's never leaked again!! .... and tbh I haven't really done anything so totally baffled as to why it's intermittent.

As I say I leave it stripped for now, I'd hate putting all that back in only to strip it all out again 😁

It will leak again, I just know it.

Thanks 👍👍

I can say from previous experience .. angle of the car .. direction to the wind ..the amount of rain .. these all have an impact on if a car leaks or not .

It's frustrating as hell for me let alone you as its common to have a wet car in and i cant get it to leak .

Cayennes / macans are my latest bug bear .. water dripping onto peoples feet and i can't get a drop inside the car on a water test .. sigh

Think i've solved this one but it's taken 3 cars with the same fault to try and work it out .. first customer has been back 3 times now .. which is very embarrassing ... yup i do feel ashamed at times at not being able to fix an issue .

Holy thread resurrection, I too have a C4s (non sunroof) and have a leak somewhere. Water pools in the rear footwells - seatbelts sometimes feel a tiny bit damp. When washing the car, one somethings sees a drop of water on the inside of the rear side window.

Did the original poster find out what the issues was?

Inthesticks said:
Holy thread resurrection, I too have a C4s (non sunroof) and have a leak somewhere. Water pools in the rear footwells - seatbelts sometimes feel a tiny bit damp. When washing the car, one somethings sees a drop of water on the inside of the rear side window.

Did the original poster find out what the issues was?

Hi,

It was my post.
It was a tricky job trying to locate the leak and although I didn't find it as such, I took the rear wiper spindle grommet out and resealed it back in and I've not had a leak since, whether that was the cause I don't know, but it hasn't leaked. I left the rear interior out for a few months and used the car as such and I never saw a drop, I still check it to this day and so far so good.

Do the front carpets get wet?

The water leak can be from the rear and then run down until it gets to the rear foot wells.
Have you checked the rear seat bases where bums would sit? .. feel the carpet and check if it's damp. If it is then pull the rear seat back supports down and stick your hand in up where the engine cover would be and feel for pools of water, if there is water there then it's coming from the rear and running down the engine cover and overflowing onto the rear seats then footwells, at least then you know it's coming from the rear area, possibly the wiper spindle grommet. You will need to remove the rear carpet out and dry it and the foam but it's an easy job.

If the rear seats are dry then remove a rear side speaker and stick your arm in and down into the sill and feel for water there, be careful as there is rubber grommets on the sill and can easily be pushed out, they can be put back in but it's a fiddly pain. I'm not sure how water would get from there into the inside and my Indy told me water in there is normal hence the grommets so not sure on that tbh.

Also the rear side windows are bolted in where the B pillar is and I've been told them bolts can let water in so somewhere to have a look aswell.

Be very careful the water doesn't get to the ECU under the passenger seat.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for responding, I think I've found the issue.

The rear passenger window flexes a lot with minimal pressure - mid way along. Rubbish photo but the gap could probably fit the width of a £1 coin in it.

Will take off interior trim when it stops raining to look further.

But (and the car is parked facing up the drive. The carpet is bone dry in the front and underneath the seat. The rear seats are dry, it's just the carpet in the rear footwell where the water accumulates.

Has anyone had any issues like this at all

Attachments

• img_4371_551.jpeg
    img_4371_551.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 396
I'm aware this is a bit of a thread revival...

I'm chasing down a very similar leak to that which you describe. I have a 2008 Turbo and I keep getting water under the rear passenger carpet. First alerted to it when I lifter the rear seat last winter and found a pool of ice under it!

Initially both rear quarters were leaking, so popped them out and resealed (one of the threads had become un-bonded from the glass on each side, leaving a gap).

Just recently I noticed the car misting up in a rain storm, so checked under the carpet and, sure enough, it was damp - but only in the rear passenger footwell!

Beginning to suspect rear wiper grommet letting water in, but not been able to prove it.

Very happy to take any other ideas from folks on this forum!!

So. Having sorted the rear quarter windows, I found the leak (well, I think I have) it's from here. It leaks through the plastic and enters the car this way. A right pita and I don't know how to fix it.

Can't say if it is the same problem that you have. Will continue to look for a fix.

Attachments

• img_4399_159.jpeg
    img_4399_159.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 218
  • img_4397_217.jpeg
    img_4397_217.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 218
Inthesticks said:
So. Having sorted the rear quarter windows, I found the leak (well, I think I have) it's from here. It leaks through the plastic and enters the car this way. A right pita and I don't know how to fix it.

Can't say if it is the same problem that you have. Will continue to look for a fix.

Where is that exactly? Is that the door loom and where it enters the car?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prime007
Back