Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Water leak

rads

New to me 996TT (came from a 72 911T), seemed to have water leak from behind the front wheel (there see to be a drain hole?) and its dripping from there (drivers side)

Doesn't smell / feel like coolant. Was out today in it, running the aircon at 18.

Any ideas?

TIA

Rich

From behind the front wheel is a weird one, in front would be your driver's side front rad. I take it you mean on the right hand side when you say driver's side (ie. a RHD car)?

Yes Alex its RHD.
I thought it strange, there does seem to be a drain hole there, just inward of the sill, dripping from there?

Have you checked all the drains around the battery area? 2 on each side.

MC

Also pretty sure its not coolant (doesn't taste sweet).

I am wondering if it was the AC condensation?

Possibly. Keep your eye on it with aircon on and off and see what happens.

Make sure it's not the usual TT issue, leaking front clutch reservoir - its the little reservoir with the green top.

They leak from there when there's an issue with the clutch accumulator (on top of the gearbox).

Hopefully it's just your AC :D

photek said:
Make sure it's not the usual TT issue, leaking front clutch reservoir - its the little reservoir with the green top.

They leak from there when there's an issue with the clutch accumulator (on top of the gearbox).

Will have a look tonight.

photek said:

All dry!

rads said:
photek said:

All dry!

:thumb:

Glad to hear it, a leaking accumulator is not a nice way to start 996 TT ownership ;-)

I have a very similar issue, non-sunroof car (RHD 2004) but it's on the passenger side. Finally found how water is getting in and its from this.
Any idea what the bung is used for and, why it leaks there? And more importantly, how to stop it leaking!

Happy to start a new thread if its detracting from the OPs

Eta. Is not coming from the drain tube, rather from behind it so probably needs sealing somehow

Attachments

• img_4396_108.jpg
    img_4396_108.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 387
  • img_4397_940.jpg
    img_4397_940.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 387
So, as an update to the last post. it appears that the water is getting between the inner and outer skin and running along/under the tunnel of the sill.

So, with the car facing uphill, and running water on the top of the left side of the bonnet, water somehow from the front of the car and pools in the rear footwell.

Rubbish explanation but hope it makes sense.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kashmir
Back