Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

I'm liking this a lot

Mudy, you could use it as a daily driver but that has the potential to put a lot of miles on it - mind you, I don't know how many you do each day. An engine rebuild is a sign that a car has been looked after and on a 911, a top end rebuild is a positive selling point as well as an eventual inevitability.

You hear mixed thiongs about 911 Virgin but steer clear of his Millennium Bug price because all that is, is a take it as it is price with no warranty. A good PPI will enable you to negotiate the price down to cover any work needed or to make sure that the seller has all faults put right before you buy it.

As well as Peter Morgan, there is also Phil Raby, editor of Total 911 who posts on this site from time to time. I have not used him myself, but he seems to know his stuf.

It would only be 15 (urban) miles a day max.
But, I guess my point is does it matter if it becomes a high mileage car if you make sure it is regualrly serviced, oil change every 6 months and then rebuilt when needed even if that were more often than the norm. Personally if I see a 964 over 125,000 I steer clear even if it's got a stack of receipts - am I wrong and do others in your opinion feel the same way?
I'll stop highjacking this thread soon I promise!
Thanks again

TBH, the higher mileage car which has been properly maintained complete with a documented history, is probably a better bet than a lower mileage one with missing stamps in the service book and invoices from "John under the arches". As long as the parts that can wear are replaced then that's OK.

The only point at which mileage would concern me, is at what point is the additional stress that the shell has encountered going to affect it's structural integrity? I don't know the answer to this but I suspect that it would be somewhat more than 120,000 miles.

Thanks Seagull - very helpful advice. Also interesting about Virgin, will def get ppi wherever I take my hard earned shekels.

Mudy said:
Personally if I see a 964 over 125,000 I steer clear even if it's got a stack of receipts - am I wrong and do others in your opinion feel the same way?
I'll stop highjacking this thread soon I promise!
Thanks again

It all depends on the engine position as if it's had a rebuild at 100k, it's back to zero, so a 125k car is really a 25k car....'ish !

Good way of putting it Sundeep, and it's still for sale! I wonder what's putting people off?

I might go and see it this week with a strong resolve not to buy it until it's been ppi'd!

I use my 964 daily, no worries whatsoever! Mines currently on 91k miles and im starting to think about a rebuild in the next couple of years (about £3.5-4k).

Mudy said:
Good way of putting it Sundeep, and it's still for sale! I wonder what's putting people off?

Probably because it's a lot of money even for a special model. 911Virgin will be happy to let it sit at that price because they KNOW there will be a collector out there that will buy it.

Regarding mileage there are plenty of 964s that have covered 200K miles and are still going strong. As has been said many times, it's how they have been looked after that is the most important factor with cars that have been getting on a bit - buy on condition.

Mudy,

I've got a previous Peter Morgan report for mine that a previous owner had done, and whilst it is a good indicator of history, condition etc, it is no PPI more visual (it is briefly driven to check for anything major or obvious). You'd still ne to get one of them separatly and that is worth every penny (don't forget the leakdown test).

Don't be put off by high milage if supported by good and fully documented maintenance (rebuilds where necessary) as others have said. In my view thay can actually increase the desiability and value of the car as you know that it has been well cared for and what bits of pottentially expensive work has already been carried out for you.

Good luck with your quest, may the fourth be with you!

Thanks Madmoog - a Peter Morgan and a ppi?! How much does a Morgan set you back and do you think you need it as well as a ppi?
Cheers

Mudy,

I got a quote from Peter Morgan at home I'll dig it out later, £2-300 springs to mind. I think that the PPI was something like £160 from JZ Machtech plus £60 for the Leakdown test (that saved me from a big bill as it discovered a 60% loss on one cylinder - broken rings - that was then repaired pripr to me buying it - a huge suprise for both me and its owner).

The quote from Peter Morgan was £295. If you want to see what you get in a report them pm me your e-mail addressand I'll e-mail you a copy.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back