Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

HELP! Warning light Take To Workshop

911DG said:
No - no strange noises, a tiny bit white smoke on start up but nothing to speak of. No oil on the ground - I park in on the drive so any oil would be very clearly visible.

It could be that the poor running and oil loss you suffered was independent of any scoring.

There are plenty of cars with marked or lightly scored cylinders that carry on for years with the right oil and driving. Ideally it needs doing one day, but maybe at a better time for you.

I'd be surprised if a car could go so quickly from working fine to running badly due to scoring, without a gradual degradation in performance or other symptoms showing.

Robertb said:
911DG said:
No - no strange noises, a tiny bit white smoke on start up but nothing to speak of. No oil on the ground - I park in on the drive so any oil would be very clearly visible.

It could be that the poor running and oil loss you suffered was independent of any scoring.

There are plenty of cars with marked or lightly scored cylinders that carry on for years with the right oil and driving. Ideally it needs doing one day, but maybe at a better time for you.

I'd be surprised if a car could go so quickly from working fine to running badly due to scoring, without a gradual degradation in performance or other symptoms showing.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the note, thats encouraging / interesting. Maybe it was the mechanic but it all seemed a bit full on from going to losing some oil and having a piston seize-up, to Right - bore is scored - looking at a full engine rebuild - your car is cactus mate!

Firstly i thought, hold on - didn't YOU check exactly that for me 10 months ago and it was fine and i paid you £400 quid to do it? You told me they were ''All OK'' not 3000 miles ago???

Then i thought - really, thats the Options? Leave it, OR spend £8-10 grand on a complete engine rebuild? Surely there must be other options?

But - not being mechanical, WTF do i know.....

I'll have another chat with them.

Cheers

Dan.

911DG said:
Hi Rob,

Thanks for the note, thats encouraging / interesting. Maybe it was the mechanic but it all seemed a bit full on from going to losing some oil and having a piston seize-up, to Right - bore is scored - looking at a full engine rebuild - your car is cactus mate!

Did the PPI people say the above :eek:

They actually said:

PPI person said:
your car is cactus mate!

:dont know:

Hang on, Jaz did the inspection for you 3000 miles ago? I would be asking all sorts of probing questions if they gave it the all clear despite knowing a cylinder was marked and are now saying it needs a rebuild.

I've often read that borescoping these and correctly assessing the result is not so easy.

I expect the options are to fix it or sell at a reduced price and the buyer can fix it.

Whether it would be worth trying Small Claims to recover some money from the dealer who sold it, I'm not 100% sure. 3000 miles is not much and Court costs are not huge. I'd make the seller aware.

Are there any pictures of the scored bore ?

i always take a few for the customer when doing this .

That amount of oil .. that short time ago it was ok ? and no noises .. hmm .. id like to see some pictures if possible please .

Nothing to do with the tappets ?? or have one of them failed as well ?

Bore score noise could be mistaken for tappets .

I can only echo the advice above - take a deep breath and gather all the facts. It does seem incredible that a single scored bore with no smoke from the tail pipe could burn 3L of oil in such a short time. A friend had bore score initially diagnosed on his 997.2 which turned out to be a cracked valve coking up the cylinder. Much cheaper than a full rebuild!

A full rebuild is an expensive game to play, but there's a reason they're such sought after cars second hand! There are numerous cars with single cylinders re-lined out there and this might be a cost saving option for you.

Keeping my fingers crossed for a swift resolution for you!

deMort said:
Are there any pictures of the scored bore ?

i always take a few for the customer when doing this .

That amount of oil .. that short time ago it was ok ? and no noises .. hmm .. id like to see some pictures if possible please .

Nothing to do with the tappets ?? or have one of them failed as well ?

Bore score noise could be mistaken for tappets .

Hello mate - YES, one of the Tappets WAS the issue that cuased the misfire and thats why i took her in last week. They have replaced all 6 on that side- as that was their Strong recommendation. Thats what they were/are doing and when they called yesterday i was expecting it to be a ''Your Car is Ready' call.

I Just called again to asses Options and they have basically put it back together with the new Tappets as they had them in and that will be finished today. They are going to keep it for a few days and asses it from there........ Hopefully its fine as they said the scoring is very slight but i will send you a Picture of it today. I told them to keep it a few days and get one of the team to use it as a run about to see what happens (any smoke, noises, massive oil leaks etc) so i guess we'll see.

Not sure what else I can do right now BUT getting an instant total engine rebuild seems, as i said yesterday, very extreme.

Cheers ALL for all your inputs / ideas / comments. Like i said its not the end of the world but its still a fkkkin stress.

Cheers

Dan.

Fingers crossed for you Dan.

Dan - can only imagine how stressful your week has been......
When I bought the 911 I have tried to ready myself for an inevitable large bill at some point....but I still know it will really hurt when it comes.

Incidentally, when I was looking round at 911s earlier this year, I saw one that had the borescope done by JAZ. They has taken 6 photos of bores and also one of the VIN plate, to show that the photos belonged to that car. I gave them a call and they gave it a clean bill of health and had said so to the seller.
Have you got anything in writing from JAZ? They may have some liability.

Interestingly one of the borescope pictures (pic 13) made me nervous (am not an expert, would assume JAZ know more), despite JAZ saying it was fine (pic 10 was an example of how the other 5 appeared). Along with other reasons, that contributed to me passing on that car. So you may want another expert to check the photos they took!

Attachments

• 013_517.jpg
    013_517.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 3,159
  • 010_108.jpg
    010_108.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 3,159
deMort said:
Pictures to here or post them please .. id like to have a look .

[email protected]

Here you go - doesn't mean much to me im afraid but would love to get thoughts / comments?

Cheers again guys

Dan

Attachments

• screen_shot_2018_04_18_at_101909_am_908.png
    screen_shot_2018_04_18_at_101909_am_908.png
    276.3 KB · Views: 3,085
  • screen_shot_2018_04_18_at_101909_am_727.png
    screen_shot_2018_04_18_at_101909_am_727.png
    276.3 KB · Views: 3,085
Ouch.

The angle now has to become how Jaz did not spot this when they did the PPI/bore scope 3000 miles ago, or what was it that happened to mean that it scored badly in such a short time.

Is the car back together and working again?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPD
Back