Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Help & Advice on buying a 997 Turbo/Turbo S

You're almost in 991 Turbo money......worth a look in my book

[quote="l

What's your honest thought on the mileage of this car? I'd value your opinions ..........

I have had a few text chats with my pal, but he seems to think the mileage is high, it is 8k overpriced and is citing that once the car reached 100k the arse will fall out of it from a price point perspective. He's gauging the price as book price and saying that cars are cheap ATM, and it wouldn't give me much hassle-free motoring for the next few years. I think he is souly looking at it from a business investment perspective, which i get and have asked him to call me when he is free - Comments from you will be valued :thumb:

[/quote]

Your mate is probably correct about the 'trade' value he is telling you. Has he mentioned the 'retail' value. :?:

There's a big spread between 'trade' and 'retail' and a private price should be somewhere between the two. Whereabouts between the two should be the basis of the negotiation and will end up where both parties are happy.

The private market for these cars is tricky because most people want, and are prepared to pay a premium for, the perceived safety of buying from a dealer. A lot of respondees to private adverts are traders knowing this and are looking to buy better than auction stock at trade money which is why most sellers go the part-ex route.

For some reason in the UK it seems that higher mileage on turbos is a bigger turn-off for buyers than on an equivalent aged Carrera which is a nonsense given the proven comparative reliability of the two models. I'm guessing it's down to the fact that the £££s required to buy a similar aged turbo is higher and that for the same money a lot of people would prefer to buy a newer, lower mileage car.

There's lots of sub 60k mile 997 turbos around but asking prices are significantly more than 60k+ cars and many have been standing for some time. I'd rather go for a slightly higher mileage car that's been used regularly, especially if it's also a fair bit cheaper to buy.

It's a fact that, in the UK, any cars desirability plummets when it hits 100k miles and market values reflect that.

As I said before the car you linked to seems like a good, honest privately owned car. It's advertised at a price a bit more than the seller would get from a dealer but a lot less than it would retail for. You could pay less for a car at an auction or more from a dealer. Similarly you could get a lower mileage car but pay more for the privilege.

The choice is yours. Good Luck. :thumb:

FZP said:
You're almost in 991 Turbo money.....

:? Not at £55k

The only 991Ts I've seen advertised at under £70k have been very high miles.

T8 said:
FZP said:
You're almost in 991 Turbo money.....

:? Not at £55k

The only 991Ts I've seen advertised at under £70k have been very high miles.
I don't know what 997 Turbo I was looking at, but it was £65k, hence my comment. It's quite a big leap from 55 indeed.

S14 said:
It was my car. Sold to first buyer to actually view. Already missing it. Car was stunning and rare.

Looked great but then I am biased. Well done on the sale although you have my commiserations. What are you replacing it with?

Thankyou. It's the longest I kept a car over 4 years. Testament to how much i cherished the car.

Unsure what to replace with but may try an Audi R8 V10+ or a McLaren 650s. Even looking at the 2017 R35 GTR in Orange

Nothing else really floats my boat looked at a 991 Turbo S but found it bland and boring. The 991 GT3 are dropping like flies and markets getting flooded plus I'm a power guy so maybe would be underwhelmed.

quote="maph"]
S14 said:
It was my car. Sold to first buyer to actually view. Already missing it. Car was stunning and rare.

Looked great but then I am biased. Well done on the sale although you have my commiserations. What are you replacing it with?[/quote] :?

S14 said:
Thankyou. It's the longest I kept a car over 4 years. Testament to how much i cherished the car.

Unsure what to replace with but may try an Audi R8 V10+ or a McLaren 650s. Even looking at the 2017 R35 GTR in Orange

Nothing else really floats my boat looked at a 991 Turbo S but found it bland and boring. The 991 GT3 are dropping like flies and markets getting flooded plus I'm a power guy so maybe would be underwhelmed.

Best of luck with the hunt and test drive as many of them as you can :D Prices are getting a kicking at the moment and there are great deals being done so you take your time and enjoy.

Thankyou 👍

uote="maph"]
S14 said:

Best of luck with the hunt and test drive as many of them as you can :D Prices are getting a kicking at the moment and there are great deals being done so you take your time and enjoy.[/quote]

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NeilHarbidge
Back