Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Help, advice needed on a 911 GTS potential purchase :/

Paza3

Nurburgring
Hi Guys,

Need a little advice I have been in and out of the classifeds for the last few months , and I was seriously looking into a Lotus Evora! :eek: , but the Porker bug never leaves you and Mrs Paza prefers 911's

Anyway enough rambling ... I have come across this GTS and other than the obvious milage being high for a 11 plate ... is it worth it? I mean i do low miles 1-3k a year so not so fussed and it seems good value for a GTS which is considered the prime cut of the 997 range and a real keeper

Has anyone used / heard of Miletree Prestige Motor Cars?

So i guess am asking is it a good buy / fair price considering ... or am a buying a load of hassle it being so high for the year.. also its manual which I love!!! but a lot of people are after the pdk ... :?: , Am a little concerned seeing you can get a lovely c2s or 4s for sub 40k now with 30-50k on the clock... am being really quite indecisive

linky
Advice appreciated :thumb:

Paz

First off, confirm the price.

I suspect its low price and "VAT qualifying" means that price is ex-VAT.

If £53,994 still seems like good value, go for it.

I've been in contact with the dealer and confirmed a cash price in the 40's so the price is confirmed , but certainly appreciate the VAT comment i was thinking the same at first. The dealer is selling on behalf of an existing client of his.

For what it's worth, I bought an 11 plate GTS in April (PDK with 24k on the clock) for £10k more then your guy is asking for. They are a hell of a car with real poke and if the mileage doesn't bother you, then I would suggest that you go for it.

Obviously any future resale value which you may seek has to be understood and taken into account at this time.

For peace of mind, a Porsche check and warranty may be an option...

Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

Looking at the detail in the dealers advert the suggestion is that the GTS is 4wd.
The photographs of the car say otherwise. I suspect this is just a typo by the dealer but worthy of confirmation. Either way it's code for "check everything".

Mileage aside, (motorway miles? If so, not a deal breaker IMO) then it is a lot of car for the money - if due diligence checks out then buy.

thanks for the advice guys it seems a low milage example is in the upper 50's for sure. Pzero my understanding is that its motorway miles. Good spot on the 4wd part , was thinking a full OPC check would be required as ever and all the normal stuff

Hmmmm edit - 2 hours later

Do a wee search and found this thread now am more confused than ever, not a positive feeling from the community on higher milage gts's :nooo:

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=91165&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=gts&start=0

I was after a porker with good residuals maybe a turbo is a better long term option :?

As a keeper for 5 years, it could be a good buy. Hardly any manual GTS about

Paza3 said:
I was after a porker with good residuals maybe a turbo is a better long term option :?

If you are focussed on residuals then you want a GT3. My first one depreciated £17k in 5.5 years (bought as an 18 month one owner from an OPC). Due to the recent price craziness, my second one has actually appreciated by about £5k in a bit under 3 years (again a one owner car from an OPC that at the time was barely over a year old, albeit bought in the arse end of winter).

I don't expect a Turbo of similar vintage to be especially stronger in terms of retaining value than a GTS personally, but that is just MHO (they sold a LOT of Turbos, and the market never lacks choice). The inconvenience of Centre Locks (which may or may not bother you) is the only downside to the GTS for me. The thing that I never understood is why the best spec for them was practically never picked by original buyers though (manual, normal wheel hubs, sports suspension with LSD and folding bucket seats were all on the options list and on left hand drive cars you could even have the long range fuel tank) and is as rare as unicorn tears in the used market.

Thanks for the input guys really appreciate it :thumbs:

Looks like it really splits views .. hmmmm :?:

Wish I could afford a GT3 but sadly thats a long way off currently with the latest prices hikes :eek:

... Am going to have to give it some serious thought as to whether its a good buy or a expensive mistake..

Tough one this. I bought mine in December 13 with 17k miles on and paid a tad under £60k. When I was looking to buy, I wouldn't consider a car with more than 20k miles on, but that's just me and that's an awful lot of car for the money.

For me though, it will always be a high mileage Porsche and although I don't think the residual will take a massive hit, the difficulty would be finding someone happy to buy with that mileage on. Without wanting to come across funny, you've felt the need to ask the question here so imagine in 3-5 years when the car has got another several thousand miles on...could be very difficult to shift.

One of the OPCs had a 40k mile GTS in last week for around £53k I think, is no longer on the approved car locator so assume it has gone. Might be worth hanging on until the winter when a lot of these cars will be approaching the 3 year mark and should be more choice available.

mark pearce said:
75,000 miles is a lot for a Porsche of that age and not an easy car to sell with that mileage in my opinion
+1. That is oil-burner rep-mobile mileage!
Paza3 said:
... Am going to have to give it some serious thought as to whether its a good buy or a expensive mistake..
The example shown is about right as Parkers shows Independent at £43.5K. Trade in, however, is £36K!
Paza3 said:
Wish I could afford a GT3 but sadly thats a long way off currently with the latest prices hikes :eek:
With that sort of budget I would be very tempted to wait a little longer and save a little more for a GT3. They tend to dip in price at the end of Autumn. Entry price will still be high-end £40K to low £50K though.

At the rate people are advertising them for they'll be more like low £70Ks! :grin:

If you like the car, are planning on keeping it a while and going to do 10K+ miles a year, then buy it. If you're only going to do a couple of thousand miles a year, probably best to look elsewhere.

GTS is an amazing all rounder. At that mileage re-sale will be a struggle, I'd buy it but I'd make a very low bid on it and still expect to lose money. But... you'd have a car that people are paying 20k more for and the only difference is a number nobody sees!

All good points gents, i kindly spoke with a well know member yesterday regrading the car as well for his professional view so thank you Mark. I "think" am going to give it a miss unless i could get it for a lot less , as if it was a bargain i would be tempted to take a punt ... but at 41k am not sure it is a "good" enough deal..... and suspect they did pick it up for mid 30's.

I have also spoken to the dealer and am not conveniced by them as a business .. seem like a small semi trader type set up and not hugely professional outfit , further compound by there other stock... 1 f430 and 20 family type cars nothing else high end. I was also pedalled some story about its a friends car etc... not convinced as I spoke to another person there on a second call who seemed a bit vague on details on this "Friend"

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
concept303
Back