Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

911 GTS an irritatingly good car

Del Lardo

I bought a 991.1 GTS 10 months ago from RPM with the intention of it being a stop-gap car. I had a GR Yaris and V8 Vantage at the time with an Emira on order but was finding the Yaris was so good that I was barely driving the Vantage. Intention was to drive the 911 for a year or so and then sell it to fund an Emira AMG around about now.

Problem was that Lotus decided/needed to increase the price by £6k and that coupled with my ability to buy a car at the top of the market meant I'd end up spending way more than I'd planned to make the change so decided to cancel the Emira order.

I've been looking around, contemplating a change as one was due but not much is appealing at the moment, really enjoyed the R8 I drove but seating position was awful compared to 911 and made driving the car a little tricky.

Looks like I'm stuck with a 911 for a while longer.

Attachments

• img_6611_154.jpg
    img_6611_154.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,319
  • img_6607_358.jpg
    img_6607_358.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,319
  • img_6613_100.jpg
    img_6613_100.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 1,319
  • img_6608_359.jpg
    img_6608_359.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 1,319
I 've been 'stuck' with mine for coming up to five years now. :grin:

No argument from me :D

Worse dilemmas to have! What paint colour are your wheels by the way?

Porsche Aurum Gold.

Black on Black on Black was a bit too much black for my liking.

Del Lardo said:
Porsche Aurum Gold.

Black on Black on Black was a bit too much black for my liking.

Very smart! :thumb:

Recently had mine done in Satin Neodyme :)

Having similar dilemmas with my turbo s.
Getting close to selling but keep talking myself out of it.

And strangely enough if I go with a sideways move I'll probably go with a c4 gts.

Worse problems to have I know.

Love those gold wheels btw.

wilpert said:

And strangely enough if I go with a sideways move I'll probably go with a c4 gts.

Thanks, out of interest why a C4?

Del Lardo said:
wilpert said:

Good question,
I've got used to the wide backside on my tts and I also like the 4wd.
So I'd be getting a bit of that but with the gts in lieu of turbo power.
It would take something decent to make me change though as I've gotten attached to my current car.
Not certain of I'd go for the .1 or .2 though.

wilpert said:
Del Lardo said:
wilpert said:

Good question,
It would take something decent to make me change though as I've gotten attached to my current car.

GTS has always come with the wide backside since its inception.

pzero said:
wilpert said:
Del Lardo said:
wilpert said:

Good question,

Yep and the 4 gts would have the 4 wheel drive, widebody and the other gts trimmings but as I said, I'm not sure if I'd miss the turbo s
I've had a Boxster gts but that's not the same of course.

wilpert said:
pzero said:
wilpert said:
Del Lardo said:
wilpert said:

Good question,

Yep and the 4 gts would have the 4 wheel drive, widebody and the other gts trimmings but as I said, I'm not sure if I'd miss the turbo s
I've had a Boxster gts but that's not the same of course.

The Turbo S has different power delivery to S/GTS

There is something special about the rush of boosted power delivery that is unique

However the GTS is a popular choice for good reason.

I am clearly biased but a 911 or Cayman can cover what Lotus can offer dynamically and add a dose of quality and refinement that makes them so impressive.

I am also impressed by how good our base 718 cayman is to drive compared to our 991 .2 TTS over our trip to Wales and back

I honestly think every car has so many merits there is no wrong choice :)

I had a similar situation. Was getting a bit twitchy about buying another Turbo in 2021 and had heard how good the GT-S is so started looking for one at a reasonable price.

Ended up buying one from VVS and had it delivered in the February, mine was a gen 1 as I'd heard a few stories about reliability of the gen 2 turbo cars.
In fact mine was identical to yours, in that the wheels had been recoloured to a Lambo wheel colour and at first I wasn't sure about the Gold look but when I saw the car I thought it looked great, mine was more a bronze colour.

As for driving it, I bought the 2wd as I wanted to see if it drove differently to the 4wd and I wasn't disappointed it's incredible, the handling was way better than I thought a 911 could be, front end grip is incredible and the whole car just felt so planted and secure. The nearest car I can think of to it is an Elise.

The only thing I missed was the punch of the Turbo S, there is nothing quite like the acceleration of a 911 Turbo, so I sold the GT-S and bought another Turbo S. I had considered selling my T/S, that was until yesterday when I had it in for a front wheel alignment check. It was sitting on the ramp and I was hanging about waiting for the guy to set up the corner mirrors when a guy and his son walked past and the boy said 'look at that car dad it looks stunning' and I have to agree that from the back it really does look incredible, especially in Black but then I am biased!

The only thing I've regretted doing is taking off the Kline exhaust. The car has just lost that lovely noise that the Kline makes, especially so when you press on. I was going to sell the exhaust, that was until I contacted Kline and found out what they cost new!

I had a 991.1 GTS (a switch from a Cayman black edition), and eventually changed to a 991.2 turbo s.

The GTS was great, but I'd always wanted a 911 turbo since I was a kid, so decided to switch. The acceleration difference is definitely noticeable, but the switch from na to turbo does make me miss the noise.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pands
Back