Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Introducing My 991.1 GTS

I've just had a colour change on my wheels, done by Chris at Excel and would highly recommend him, with mine being split rims its not your "regular" colour change but Chris did a fantastic job

Attachments

• satin_bronze1_792.jpg
    satin_bronze1_792.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 1,506
  • satin_bronze2_141.jpg
    satin_bronze2_141.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 1,506
cr4zylegs said:
I've just had a colour change on my wheels, done by Chris at Excel and would highly recommend him, with mine being split rims its not your "regular" colour change but Chris did a fantastic job

Very nice! :thumb:

I am edging towards Satin Neodyme, so will hopefully see some in person this year and maybe get them done over the winter.

I bought my car with the wheel colour changed to a Satin Gold, as it's a deeper shade of gold and Satin, it didn't look too bling bling.
Removing centre locks is actually very straight forward. I was lucky that one of my friends who races a Radical has a big torque wrench, about a meter long, which fits the socket.
I could undo and re-tighten the C/L's to the right torque on my own. You do need to apply the front brake to do the fronts. Biggest concern is refitting the wheels and pulling them off. You MUST ensure you only jack the car up so that it's a centimetre from the floor, this way you cant drop the alloy onto the disc. This mainly applies to PCCB's but I now do it for all wheel removals. You can buy a bar that screws into the thread on the hub and this prevents your wheel from dropping onto the disc. The only thing is they cost about £200 to buy so I just use the jack technique instead.
Picture of my car with the Bronze/Gold wheels. The colour is a Lamborghini colour called Performante Bronze or Gold I can't quite remember the exact name.

Attachments

• 9911_gt_s_1_325.jpeg
    9911_gt_s_1_325.jpeg
    527.9 KB · Views: 1,394
  • 9911_gt_s_1_325.jpeg
    9911_gt_s_1_325.jpeg
    527.9 KB · Views: 1,394
easternjets said:
I bought my car with the wheel colour changed to a Satin Gold, as it's a deeper shade of gold and Satin, it didn't look too bling bling.
Removing centre locks is actually very straight forward. I was lucky that one of my friends who races a Radical has a big torque wrench, about a meter long, which fits the socket.

Picture of my car with the Bronze/Gold wheels. The colour is a Lamborghini colour called Performante Bronze or Gold I can't quite remember the exact name.

Thanks for the photo my friend, much appreciated! Is your GTS also dark blue, or black?

The trouble I would have with the centrelocks is having the wheel(s) off the ground to remove / tighten them, as I don't have anyone to help me. Unless I could get one of these torque guns, I don't think I would risk it. Then again it would not be a regular thing I guess... :wack:

https://www.obsessedgarage.com/products/hytorc-center-lock-torque-gun

The car is Basalt Black, hard to judge the colour properly from that shot but it suited the car really well.

I did most of my wheel removals on my own. Don't jack the car up at first, just slacken each wheel nut with the torque wrench about half a turn. Then jack the car up so that the wheel is just literally off the ground, you need the socket on to screw each one off as there is a locking mechanism thats held in by the socket. Then carefully remove the wheels.
To refit just be careful you don't catch the disc, you could put a towel on top of the disc which you can remove once the wheel is located onto the hub. There are dowels that the wheel engages with so there's no way to not fit it correctly. Then screw the nut back on till it's nipped up and the wheels solid on the hub, then lower the car and torque them up.
It's not as difficult as you may think.
You should also have a small tool inside the socket for levering out the C/L dust caps. The metal tongue needs to be pushed well in behind the dust cap to lever it out, they're quite a tight fit to stop moisture getting in.

Attachments

• img_18487_large_101.jpg
    img_18487_large_101.jpg
    575.4 KB · Views: 1,248
  • img_18487_large_101.jpg
    img_18487_large_101.jpg
    575.4 KB · Views: 1,248
easternjets said:
The car is Basalt Black, hard to judge the colour properly from that shot but it suited the car really well.

I did most of my wheel removals on my own. Don't jack the car up at first, just slacken each wheel nut with the torque wrench about half a turn. Then jack the car up so that the wheel is just literally off the ground, you need the socket on to screw each one off as there is a locking mechanism thats held in by the socket. Then carefully remove the wheels.

Thanks for all the details! :thumb:

I guess I am concerned that Porsche recommend that the car / wheels are off the ground when both removing and re-fitting the Centrelocks. Then there's ensuring they are properly greased before refitting :dont know:

However, if it becomes more than an annoyance, it's very possible I will change my mind! :lol:

Well Porsche would recommend that the car be off the ground to remove and replace the wheels as it would be impossible with it on the ground.

You can break the torque off with the wheels off the ground but you'd need someone with their foot on the brakes. I can't see what difference it makes in any way when your removing the C/L nut as all your doing is just breaking the torque a quarter turn. Then lift the car up and unscrew them. When refitting I always nipped them up as best I could while they were jacked up. The dowels that are on the hub ensure a very secure fit and seating so once they're nipped its only another half turn to get them up to the correct torque.
As for the grease my wheel was covered in the stuff so I just reapplied the squeezed out grease onto the mating face of the nut and wheel and they went up to torque very easily.
Porsche recommend a lot of things in manuals and at workshops, some of it is useful, some of it is just precautions to cover them selves. I can see the point if people didn't have the wheels located properly or they weren't sitting flush to the hub when they put it on the ground, hence the reason I nip them up as much as possible before doing the final torquing with the wrench.
Once you've done it a few times you'll realise how straight forward it is, don't over think it.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back