Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Glass Polish / Restorer

David Ramsbotham

Silverstone
Now that I have nearly finished giving my car a thorough clean, I have noticed that the windscreen is marked where the wipers move to and fro. These markings obviously come from 20+ years of wiping but simply will not go away with normal glass cleaning products!
Can anyone give me a tip as to what to use on the glass to polish out these imperfections?
TIA, David.

Attachments

• 15B15516-1B5F-48F7-B16B-1B81A17AED26.jpeg
    15B15516-1B5F-48F7-B16B-1B81A17AED26.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
As above, new windscreen off your Insurance for £60.

Understand these comments are tongue in cheek lol. Been recommended cerium oxide paste polish by 996 Facebook group. In the absence of any tips from this usually informative collective, I shall give it a go.

Cerium Oxide is the way to go if you wish to rectify your current screen.

Be aware that it does take quite a lot of time to do it correctly and safely.
It is also very easy to create a weakening hotspot in the screen which may cause it to explode the next time it sees any significant heat or a jolt.

I once spent a couple of hours removing similar marks from a rear window and made a good job of it, only for it to explode in a million pieces the first time I turned the heated screen on - it wasn't much fun to be honest.

Understand these comments are tongue in cheek lol. Been recommended cerium oxide paste polish by 996 Facebook group. In the absence of any tips from this usually informative collective, I shall give it a go.
No not at all. If visibility is bad due to micro chips on the windscreen - most visible when the sun is low and gives the appearance of thousands of speckles on the screen, then if you call your Insurance and tell them visibility out of the screen is really bad during the day and more apparent at this time of the year due to the sun being low, then they'll most likely just tell you to call one of the windscreen places (autoglass, etc.) and get it changed under your policy. Infrasilver did this and they just fit a new screen for him.

+1 with Alex’s suggestion. My car at 82,000 had the original screen. At night time it was like the screen on the old Star Trek episodes where they are going where no man has gone before. Rang my insurer and £80 worth of excess later a new Saint Gobain screen. Were you to just use a hammer it would be fraud and I am quite sure that none of the fine upstanding members on here would suggest such a course of action 🙂
Most, if not all policies cover damage to the screen. It does not have to be imploded by an external force.

Why is it fraud if you cosh your own windscreen? There's nothing in the Insurance T&Cs to say that if the window shatters through your own doing, they won't replace.

I have done my screen using Cerium Oxide, I used a felt pad from ebay mounted to a sanding attachment on a dewalt multitool, you need to keep spraying the screen with water and keep the pad moving, dont be tempted to stop in one area too long as the glass gets pretty hot. It worked well with the wiper marks but dont try to get out any deep scratches as its not suited to that, try too hard and you will probably crack the screen.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back