Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Glad I didn't rely on a Trolley Jack!

rottenbend

Magny-Cours
Did some work on the rear end of the car yesterday (more on this later in another thread). So I jacked the car up at the rear using my trusty old trolley jack and stuck some axle stands underneath.

When I was finshed, I jacked the car up with the trolley jack under the engine crankcase and removed the stands. As I went to the back of the car to remove the jack I saw what I thought was puddle of oil on the floor. :x . But it wasn't oil - it was the hydraulic fluid which was gushing out of the jack. Before I could lower the jack, it failed :eek:.

I'm sure that if I'd been under the car, I would have been killed or seriously injured.

I know you all do this already but just in case anyone is ever tempted to use their trolley jack on its own - maybe because it's a quick job - then please don't. It's not worth the risk. Be safe out there.

P.S Any recommendations for a low profile 2 Tonne + low trolley jack. I need a new one!

I am glad you were using stands. Having a couple of stands is not only the safest but one of the cheapest things you can buy for your garage

Theo

Good point.

Was under mine with just a trolley jack earlier in the year. :eek:

rottenbend said:
DP.S Any recommendations for a low profile 2 Tonne + low trolley jack. I need a new one!

I've got the Arcan 2ton [1800KG] jack, Costco were doing a good deal on them a while back.

Attachments

• arcantrolleyjack_230.jpeg
    arcantrolleyjack_230.jpeg
    5.6 KB · Views: 5,893
rottenbend said:
I'm sure that if I'd been under the car, I would have been killed or seriously injured.

That was a close shave rotten! Daft thing is we've all done it, having said that I usually stick some wheel ramps underneath along side the axle stands, bit of overkill but better safe than sorry as Ive had a axle stand shift in the past.

Glad you weren't road kill. :thumb:

tbrown said:
I've got the Arcan 2ton [1800KG] jack, Costco were doing a good deal on them a while back.

Thanks TB - that sounds ideal, Arcan appear to be a quality item. The annual trek to Costco for Xmas supplies is beckoning so I'll take a look whilst I'm there :thumb:

Hi

I got bought a Sealy jack which works well on the 993. It is very heavy though!

Berni

Sealy jack

I have been browsing the internet for a new jack and have found these that may be of interest to you;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130456171517&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290506241984&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://www.redashe.co.uk/Auto/General_Automotive/1.5_Ton_Jack.html

http://www.tool-supplies.co.uk/sealey-tools.php/cPath/1_181/products_id/5225

From what I hear Costco usually have some good offers. Unfortunately its a bit far for me travel on the chance that they may have something suitable.

Dominic.

rottenbend said:
s. As I went to the back of the car to remove the jack I saw what I thought was puddle of oil on the floor. :x . But it wasn't oil - it was the hydraulic fluid which was gushing out of the jack. Before I could lower the jack, it failed :eek:.

safety first.

how not to do it:

996brakepads17.jpg

Working at dads garage in my younger days, he screamed at me whenever I got lazy and did not use jack stands. Never trust just a trolley. Life is too precious. Even jack stands can give way if not positioned correctly.

good call. I did once read in the local press about a guy who actually got squished by a car when the jack failed, can't remember if he was found in time

and I confess I still use just a jack from time to time :wack:

you know, you're changing a wheel or something and you think, whilst I've got the wheel off I'll just have a look at.....

nooo

I've got the Arcan jack mentioned above, it was cheap and fine, but not tip top quality.

...and if you don't have stands then place the wheels(face up) under the hubs. At least you will get some protection/avoid a crush.

wizard993 said:
...and if you don't have stands then place the wheels(face up) under the hubs. At least you will get some protection/avoid a crush.

+1 Always done that BUT in the summer I forgot to put the wheel face up :sad:

My dodgy jack story happened to my bro, he was working on an R18, car jacked up using two Renault scissor jacks, both front wheels off, he was underneath when one jack let go, the car dropped like a stone but and landed on an old style milk bottle that he was using for bleeding the brakes, the bottle held together long enough for him to shuffle out, then it exploded!!

I think he started smoking shortly afterwards :eek:

I have heard these horror stories before, Glad your ok mate.
I was once in a gargage when a car came off the axel stands, due to them being positioned wrong. Thankfully no one was underneath at the time.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
e46m3
Back