Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gen II C2S Suspension Upgrades (DSC, Tractive)

M5sime

Trainee
Hi - for some time, I have thought that the suspension on my C2S could be more compliant. Perhaps just me being fed up with UK roads, but the PASM option has never been used (as we all know).. The base setting has been OK..

I had the car setup by Centre Gravity last year for fast road and it was a nice improvement in feel (but not comfort).

So I am headed down an upgrade path that you might be interested to follow. The reason is - I cannot find that many/any? threads for those that have a compliance bias and a non GT model that go the Tractive route.

I have a need also to get on with this - my rear dampers (48k miles and 12yrs old) have some misting and while they have been in-spec, its likely time they went..

I have first upgraded to the DSC Controller and frankly it is worth the money - it is an instant upgrade in refinement and sophistication.. The feel of the car at speed is a little different.. but the compliance aspect at 20-40 on broken tarmac is much better (my goal)...

So now comes the expensive bit.. A suspension refresh.. My choices were keep the OEM springs, replace the 4 Bilstein B4s to match the OEM and some top mounts and bits etc.. Working with 9e - I got a quote. £3.34k

I have also been intrigued with the potential behind Tractive Touring Line. The potential to have a greater damping range and in theory more of my cake - comfort and compliance AND a mode that is more suited to fresh tarmac (disclaimer - I almost never track my car.. I did one CAT driver training session which was great. I may do more of this in the future)..

The quote to go Tractive was £5.4k.. Hence the man maths begins.. I considered that within that cost are new springs (say £500). Ability to tweak some ride height (as it would look a little better).

Adam at 9e was very helpful and honest and for my types of driving and not asking specifically for a suspension drop - going the OEM route made most sense.. Unfortunately curiosity got the better of me, and I have ordered the Tractive. My plan is to share my experience of Tractive for country roads, compliance and maybe a little cosmetic drop. I welcome feedback.

For the record my tyres are a little old and Pirelli N-rated. I have seen that many prefer Michelin which may also tweak refinement.

My Car

Attachments

• m5sime911_787.jpg
    m5sime911_787.jpg
    900.4 KB · Views: 2,517
I've gone the same Tractive route via 9e. Looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about (previously running OEM B8 with lowering springs and DSC). Will do a road and track review when I get mine back 8)img_0760_179.jpg

Last edited:
IMI A said:
I've gone the same Tractive route via 9e. Looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about (previously running OEM B8 with lowering springs and DSC). Will do a road and track review when I get mine back 8)

You are in the BIG league on upgrades :) very much enjoyed your thread. I have driven a 991 and 992 at Porsche experience on track, but not on the road. I assume they are 'more sophisticated' just as a 996 is widely described as being less so (more raw).. I have no interest moving up models as prefer the smaller package of the 997.. but would like some modern tech applied to an old (ish) car..

Look forward to following this. I've got Bilstein B16 damptronic, so retains PASM functionality. DSC and Eibach anti-roll bars. Coupled with wider wheels and Cup 2 tyres. I love the set up and completely agree regarding the DSC compliance.

Really interested to hear feedback on this. Granted it's a different model but my 996 is on h&r lowering springs with standard dampers and the increasingly shocking state of the roads near me has had me thinking on my setup. I enquired with CG and got quotes for Koni special actives/eibach springs and Ohlins R&T but I'm loath to drop a chunk of cash semi-blind. Easy answer would be go back to standard but the aesthetic doesn't work for me. Look forward to your findings.

Lovely looking car too :thumb:

wellsy said:
Really interested to hear feedback on this. Granted it's a different model but my 996 is on h&r lowering springs with standard dampers and the increasingly shocking state of the roads near me has had me thinking on my setup. I enquired with CG and got quotes for Koni special actives/eibach springs and Ohlins R&T but I'm loath to drop a chunk of cash semi-blind. Easy answer would be go back to standard but the aesthetic doesn't work for me. Look forward to your findings.

Lovely looking car too :thumb:

This is the hard question isn't it! Especially as what we want from the suspension varies so much.. Mine is booked in for the week of the Nov 1 - so will be able to report back at the end of that week.. I am hoping that I get all the way home and not turn around for 9e to work more..

M5sime said:
For the record my tyres are a little old and Pirelli N-rated. I have seen that many prefer Michelin which may also tweak refinement.

I think you'll find that will give you the most noticeable improvement per £ spent. :thumb:

T8 said:
M5sime said:

I think you'll find that will give you the most noticeable improvement per £ spent. :thumb:

Thank you! The DSC has been a revelation! Tyres to follow.. just not worn out enough :)

So if I read that right, it's 3.5k to refresh the standard suspension and 5.5k to fit Tractive Touring, including parts and labour.

Man-maths would suggest that the 2k delta is worth it for the upgrade, and I look forward to hearing how you get on.

MaxA said:
So if I read that right, it's 3.5k to refresh the standard suspension and 5.5k to fit Tractive Touring, including parts and labour.

Man-maths would suggest that the 2k delta is worth it for the upgrade, and I look forward to hearing how you get on.

That's, it! I like your thinking.. The caveat is that the DSC is really a requirement for the Tractive and that was £1.3k. It is however fantastic even for standard PASM.

Super interested in this - I've been pondering tractive for mine.

Chris at Center Gravity breathed his magic on the car, stiffer GT3 rear ARB on the car and DSC fitted. The DSC made a bit difference for me too, normal driving compliance is much better, but also some really interesting things on track - ability to absorb awkward bumps & kerbs is much better and better controlled / flatter. The original Bilstein B4's feel a bit tired though when really pushed so thinking about replacements.

M5sime are you also changing suspension arms / bushes / top mounts? Staying standard or changing any for aftermarket?

Yellow said:
Super interested in this - I've been pondering tractive for mine.

Chris at Center Gravity breathed his magic on the car, stiffer GT3 rear ARB on the car and DSC fitted. The DSC made a bit difference for me too, normal driving compliance is much better, but also some really interesting things on track - ability to absorb awkward bumps & kerbs is much better and better controlled / flatter. The original Bilstein B4's feel a bit tired though when really pushed so thinking about replacements.

M5sime are you also changing suspension arms / bushes / top mounts? Staying standard or changing any for aftermarket?

Hi - glad you are interested! 9e haven't suggested any other changes other than top mounts for wear. Fronts more than rears. They mentioned if I drop it 20-25 mm I may need spacers more for the look. I'm not mega bothered about lowering. Just if I can and maintain a compliance, comfort balance then I will. My requirements may be more unique given I'm not trying to improve performance per se, more build the most supple fast handling car with weekend use in mind.

I think I read somewhere that Centre Of Gravity are developing a set of shocks alongside Bilstein for the 996 / 997 might be worth asking them how long before they will be available.

This thread is just another example on why I think the various FB owners group just do not cater to the same audience.

Anyhow. I was at CC this week actually. I've had my C2S 997.2 for a few months now, felt the balance was not as sharp as it could be and had it booked in a few weeks ago. It's a good 2hr drive for me but people had raved so much about it I took a generous half day off and went up north.

I had purchased a new DSC module in the summer which did not arrive on time for my big European tour. Shame. So had been sitting there when I came back just a used one noticeably cheaper popped up on here. I quickly returned the unopened new one and got the used one, except never managed to fit it until car got to CC.

All this to say that CC magic was undoubtedly helped by the new module installed at the same time.

I really wanted to the car inspected by somebody competent as pre purchase inspections tend to not focus too much on suspension. And indeed after a first drive where geo was a bit off, an inspection underneath the car revealed rear coffin arms had bushes starting to delaminate. The afternoon was going to be a little more expensive already.

To note my car is a 2009 with 47k miles and generally very good condition. Mostly a motorway car judging by engine data and general condition. CC gave the thumbs up on everything else, I asked specifically about dampers and told me they looked and felt in good condition. All the other components were also in good shape. So once the rear coffin arms were swapped the real work could start.

I have to say steering feels more precise, I did not ask for a track setup as I mostly enjoy it on B roads and the odd alpine trip. Tracking is vastly improved and the vibration felt before is mostly gone. It had started after getting wheels that had recently been refurbed, mostly cured after re-balanced properly. I run MPS4S

The feeling on broken B roads after the work and the DSC is in a complete different league. The car feels much better damped, the sport mode is truly useable which was not the case before. It's truly more versatile. I would say it gets very close to a 991 sophistication of damping whilst retaining more feel.

The experience of the DSC and geo combined. Possibly with the modern tyres that I really wonder what the tractive dampers can add. But again Porsche always shows that GT cars keep improving on perfection. So maybe we should organise a comparison with your car when it's ready so you can measure a very good oem setup vs your platinum plus OEM :)

Attachments

• db3ce9b5_c3e1_4af6_8c20_83c9f01e1719_121.jpeg
    db3ce9b5_c3e1_4af6_8c20_83c9f01e1719_121.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 2,145

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SpkM3
Back