Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

FRP is running in his new 9e 3.8 mega build

KJD

I have a personal mantra of reliability and drive ability at all times. Clutch is heavy much more heavier than before

So all good. My driving style needs to adapt a little as the clutch is so heavy and the car has a little shudder with gear changes. A blip on the throttle sorts this out thou.

Everything happens so fast, so very fast. Car seems to get aggressively fast once into the higher rev ranges the push in the back till the red line is almost painful!!!

ragpicker said:
Absolutely superb stuff Ken and Faried!

At what rpm do those new blowers start making power? Any issue with lag running such HP?

On wastegate only (1.1 bar springs ) they make 1 bar at 3250 approximately - but it is over 5000 rpm that they really hit - 1.1 bar whilst quick ( low 6 sec 60-130 in 4th ) is not enough target to wake them up - with bigger turbos what happens is that if you don't set enough target boost they don't get into their efficiency range so don't perform well - what will happen as Faried will find out once we run the car in, is that by adding 0.1 bar the power is dramatically different as is the spool - if you set target of 1.6 it will get to 1 bar quicker against setting a target of 1 bar.

At the same time, you know what is coming when you hit it - larger turbos like these are very linear when outside their efficiency range - still very quick. But when you get them into their sweet spot, when you hit the pedal, it is not instant - you hear the spool, the noise picks up around you in the car, you feel the power coming, you know it is coming and when it hits it feels like the engine is trying to make its way to the front of the car.

FRP said:
Paul. I will be there on Sunday 26th Feb

My car will not be ready but I might have to make an appearance to see your car Faried. Be nice to meet some new faces as well.

Yes i had forgot the noise (in all the excitement of actually driving it) when on the right pedal a little....I bl00dy love it !!!! Noise is good, espically the mechanical workings of the car, like that too

Car gets nice an loud when above the 5500 rev ranges and on boost

Also like the fact that i really need to drive it now, concentrate even and feel more connected to the experience....sorry if that sounds like a i am a complete t055er but that is what i am now experiencing

FRP said:
Paul. I will be there on Sunday 26th Feb
Faried :salut:

911tom said:
My car will not be ready but I might have to make an appearance to see your car Faried. Be nice to meet some new faces as well.

Always welcome Tom. It'll be fine Atom weather by then for sure :thumbs:

996ttalot said:
ragpicker said:
Absolutely superb stuff Ken and Faried!

At what rpm do those new blowers start making power? Any issue with lag running such HP?

On wastegate only (1.1 bar springs ) they make 1 bar at 3250 approximately - but it is over 5000 rpm that they really hit - 1.1 bar whilst quick ( low 6 sec 60-130 in 4th ) is not enough target to wake them up - with bigger turbos what happens is that if you don't set enough target boost they don't get into their efficiency range so don't perform well - what will happen as Faried will find out once we run the car in, is that by adding 0.1 bar the power is dramatically different as is the spool - if you set target of 1.6 it will get to 1 bar quicker against setting a target of 1 bar.

At the same time, you know what is coming when you hit it - larger turbos like these are very linear when outside their efficiency range - still very quick. But when you get them into their sweet spot, when you hit the pedal, it is not instant - you hear the spool, the noise picks up around you in the car, you feel the power coming, you know it is coming and when it hits it feels like the engine is trying to make its way to the front of the car.

Andrew, still want to sell that 996 now you have read Ken's (very accurate) description???!!!! :grin:

Wastages running purely on springs tend to be 'wafty' in terms of boost control, as soon as the capsules firmly hold the gates closed then things become a lot sweeter. That thing is going to fly.....

911tom

That is a shame, what the eta then on your car then...you must be getting desparate now, i know i was while waiting for completion

My car does not look any different to before apart from the y pipe, fuel pressure and meth guages, you cant see much else as all pretty much covered

Oh yeah i got crusie control fitted just for the hell of it too

I'm going to give Matt at fearnsport a call. He's had the car since mid July and the engine is still not fully built. We are over the worst of it I think and we are just waiting on the cams so everything has come to a halt again. There is also some fabrication work to be done to allow the turbo coolant pipes to be connected sensibly. The kit that came with the turbos connects in to the two coolant drains at the bottom of the engine. With that design the coolant returns from the turbos would be one of the lowest parts of the car. Plan is to connect them in slightly higher.

I retrofitted cruise to mine. Purely so I can easily switch between the different maps on my car. Has come in handy through those average speed scameras on the motorway though so an added bonus.

If I have the atom back together and the weathers dry I'll bring it along... although I guess my turbo could be on road being run in by then. I'll find out tomorrow hopefully....

FRP said:
KJD

I have a personal mantra of reliability and drive ability at all times. Clutch is heavy much more heavier than before

So all good. My driving style needs to adapt a little as the clutch is so heavy and the car has a little shudder with gear changes. A blip on the throttle sorts this out thou.

Everything happens so fast, so very fast. Car seems to get aggressively fast once into the higher rev ranges the push in the back till the red line is almost painful!!!

Good to hear it's drivable, to many build cars that are not then get rid because they can't/ don't enjoy them .
Sounds amazing

:grin:

Thanks for today Ken. Had some fun on the way home car is lively and noticeably quicker when pulling from lower down the rev range. Seems to spool up a little quicker too? Or that might be me starting to get a little scared with how aggressive the acceleration is ???

I will practice not stalling it or hitting the limiter...promise. Doh !!!

996ttalot said:
Updated the tune this morning - now running at 1.25 bar - turbos are starting to wake up :grin: spins the wheels at 5500rpm in 4th :eek:

Holy sh!t!!

Osh

Brown pants stuff almost,,,,,the accelleration is relentless, viscous even

FRP said:
Brown pants stuff almost,,,,,the accelleration is relentless, viscous even

Whack a video of the beast up...pretty please :food:

Need to hear and see the thing, a teaser will do :worship:

:thumb:

Will do. Out with the wife all weekend thou

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads