Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Found 996 on Ebay, do I bid?

While it looks a reasonable example of a 996 you would need to be mad to buy it without looking at it/driving it. Unless you can afford to write off the 17k if it turns out to be a dog.

As it has a buy it now attached, I would deal with it as any other source of classified ad.

I would certainly either have it inspected or ideally go and have a look before you buy it. I was staggered just how differently all of the 996s I looked at drove before I found my car and howe many had murky pasts...

anyone near Preston

well I have had a response from the seller, this car was serviced in March and had radiators replaced (says it was a Major service) the car looks stunning with GT3 kit, only 60K.. iam tempted to have a look at it this week..and if all goes well snap it up. Is there anyone near Preston happy to look at it with me.. iam going to try for Thursday or Sunday

i bought a car on ebay not 17k worth mind you £550 put £50 down after winning and paid cash on pick up if it had been a dog i would have walked away lossing £50 and left "not as discribed feedback" if we couldn't sort out the problems with the seller

great car saved mine and my misses life

ended up like this two years and 20k miles later

golfgone8.jpg

hence i now have a porsche :D and a limp :x

Sid007 said:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120476578371

Lookining at the above 996 on ebay, i am quite tempted, however I am not a regular user of ebay. I have emailed the contact?

wanted to know if anyone has bought a car off ebay without seeing it? is that wise?

I would skip that one!
That car indicates to me that it is well used.......... More than the declared mileage suggests.

Sorry, might just be me but have seen those aftermarket alloys, and the missing history, all seems a bit "wide" to me. Personally would not bother, but each to their own.

CARPY25 said:

OFF TOPIC: Is that a really big air-bag or someone leaning into the car? :mrgreen:

BACK ON TOPIC: Looks an honest car, nice property etc, ask to visit it, I am sure if you like it and offered to leave a deposit he would accept and update advert accordingly.

BUT... the wheels look a bit chav :roll:

brwatson2 said:
While it looks a reasonable example of a 996 you would need to be mad to buy it without looking at it/driving it. Unless you can afford to write off the 17k if it turns out to be a dog.

+1

good luck with your purchase and please post how you get on as i am a first timer looking for a similar priced car.

if it was closer to me i'd go and take a look.

it doesn't come with those wheels thankfully.

the milage seems right for the year so i guess its all about the service history and what receipts he has.

I've bought off ebay, including my current Porsche,

You can do a fair bit of background before you go and look,

Ask for the Reg No, then you can do an online HPI check, cost around £20 and will tell you owners and any Insurance or stolen/recovered issues. you get the result emailed to you immediately

Sometimes an HPI check shows more owners than the seller is declaring, but this can be just the adding and removing of private plates, my log book showed 3 owners, the HPI showed 6, cos each one put their own private plate on.

Ask for a scan of the log book, Tell the vendor he can mask off all but the last 4 digits of the VIN and engine number if he's worried bout identity theft etc, this will tell you on the front of the log book of any write-off history and let you see the log book to cross check against the HPI check.

Scans of old MOT's may show consecutive mileage and dates etc.

You could ask for scans and emails of the service book and ring a couple of the dealers in there to check they did do the work, certainly the last major service stamp.

These won't give you any guarantees of course, but should start letting you know if something smells a bit fishy if things don't cross-check etc etc.

If the vendor says he can't be arsed to scan & email, that of course could possibly be another warning.

But the final thing of course, in any purchase, Caveat Emptor !!

I was very lucky on one of my ebay cars, and reasonably lucky on the other so it isn't all bad news, (but it can be) lol

J90RDN said:
Sorry, might just be me but have seen those aftermarket alloys, and the missing history, all seems a bit "wide" to me. Personally would not bother, but each to their own.

LOL and did you see the drivers seat? :eh!:

:)

Would you advertise any car for 17K without a number?

You dont have to be a marketing guru but that ad tell me someone can't be bothered to go through providing a bit more details information such as:

- details mot logs
- Service stamps/OPC/date/type
- Tyre tread
- "good points"
- Bad points - There will always be niggles
- The fact that he has only spent money getting rads sorted isn't necessary a good thing - what about the rest of the car for the two years?
- Why crappy picts and none showing the car properly.
- Why no close-up?
- Why cant the seller confirm whether it is a damged/stolen/recovered ect - Im sure that what most would be concered about when seeing these sort of cars?
- Contact Number
ect ect

If he cant be bothered with the car (or so it appears), neither would I.

(All IMHO, ofcourse)

pirellipete said:
I've bought off ebay, including my current Porsche,

But the final thing of course, in any purchase, Caveat Emptor !!

I was very lucky on one of my ebay cars, and reasonably lucky on the other so it isn't all bad news, (but it can be) lol

I bought on Ebay sight unseen (!) a year and a bit ago and have been very happy with my C2, any minor problems I have had have been resolved through this site! I was lucky though

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prime007
Back