Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Engine Problem - Misfire Cylinder 4, 5 and 6 - 997.2 (2010

Re: Engine Problem - Misfire Cylinder 4, 5 and 6 - 997.2 (

calibra1010 said:
Hi,
I have a strange problem with my 997.2 (3.6 – 2010 model) . The car starts first time but the engine idle goes lumpy after a while on idle and at low speeds feels hesitant sometimes (noticeable). Ive scanned the car this morning using a PIWIS computer and is coming up wth a misfire on Cylinder 4, 5 and 6.

I am now scratching my head and am open to suggestions on what to do next. Could this be down to a bad O2 sensors?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

I have the same problem like you with my 997.2 (2010)
Do you know the part number of that Solenoid ?
I can see 2
https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod135245/Porsche-991-987-981-Hall-Sender-99760610603/

or

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod135246/Porsche-Boxster-Cayman-Pulse-sender-9A160611201/

I changed yesterday the ignition coils and spark plugs hopping that was the problem but the problem is still there, for sure is the solenoid

Thanks in advance :)

The engine works with 3 cylinders, I don't think it is fuel pump as the codes indicate left side
I changed spark plugs and ignition coils

Any help ?
cheers

I understand that but my own development 4.0 litre Gen 2 was the same on one bank and after changing various other things it was a new fuel pump that fixed it. So just throwing it out there in case you exhaust other possibilittes and decide to try that - sometimes these illogical solutions work!

Good luck!

Baz

bazhart said:
I understand that but my own development 4.0 litre Gen 2 was the same on one bank and after changing various other things it was a new fuel pump that fixed it. So just throwing it out there in case you exhaust other possibilittes and decide to try that - sometimes these illogical solutions work!

Good luck!

Baz

It can be, everything is possible,,, when the car is cold is working fine, when is getting to operative temp then you get vibrations and 3 cylinders working.
If it was a fuel pump in my opinion I should had the problem since I was starting the engine , no ?

update

Today I erased the faults and I was playing with the scan tool
I did test the solenoids and status was functional and the gas pump as well.

I did find that is counting non stop misfires but as long as you don't drive it doesn't record them as fault
Probably the Lambda sensors are faulty
- Catalyst monitor NOT_OK
- Oxygen sensors NOT_OK
- Oxygen sensor heater NOT_OK

I didn't know that I have such a good scan tool :D

what do you think ?

The misfire counter is for the number of ignitions recorded in the test .. it will reset at about 16000 depending on the type of tester, its not misfires as they are recorded against each cylinder.

I'm assuming there is another page that shows 4,5 and 6 .

So in essence and assuming the engine was running with this test you have a misfire on Bank 1 when under load ( driving ) ..

A high pressure fuel pump is possible but for me i would lean more towards the tappet high lift solenoid .. this will give single bank misfires at upto 3k rpm .. above that and it's stuck in the correct position so no misfires from 3K upwards .

Considering the thread this is in which is all about these failing then i think you are already leaning towards this being the problem :)

It's about £100 for the part so replacing it is a pretty cheap option and what i would be doing first with these fault codes ..

The vario camshaft solenoid on these can also give issues but usually there is a timing chain related fault code .

Stick a solenoid on it and see how it goes from there ..

Part number 9A110530802 ...

Ref here .. https://www.deroure.com/diagrams.asp?MAK=3&MDL=27&TBL=2987&SMA=0&SMO=0&ST=&SC=0

EDIT ..

If you wanted to prove before ordering .. i've found that on the 991 ( same part ) when you remove a faulty solenoid some oil will leak out .. this doesn't happen if its a good solenoid .

Links you supplied are for cam sensor and CPS .. its not them .

Thank you all for your answers,
deMort I erased all the faults and the car was running fine till I floor it and it went to sport plus,, then I had vibrations in low rpms and the scan took finally recorded something good !

Fault code info below ..

I would start with the solenoid as previously mentioned .

Attachments

• p2_1_922.jpg
    p2_1_922.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 2,055
  • p1_1_565.jpg
    p1_1_565.jpg
    410.3 KB · Views: 2,055
Resurrection

Hi Guys,

To resurrect this thread, I have a similar problem.

Car - 997 2005 3.6l

To give you some background, the car had been hunting for idle and would eventually begin to misfire on start up, once the fuelling dropped the revs from 1200rpm to c.800rpm. It would then begin to run rough. Plugged in my diagnostics equipment to find codes 0300, 0301, 0302 and 0303 - pointing to bank one.

I had planned to change the coils and spark plugs as part of maintenance anyway so ran it for a little longer as once warm it was running ok. It then began to misfire at low rpms so began the process of changing sparks and coils.

Following changing the coils and spark plugs I had expected the problem to go but unfortunately not. I then pointed to this thread and replaced part number 99610530306- Solenoid for Variable Cam Adjuster ( the part on the left of the picture). Perhaps I had been confused but started by taking out the part on the right and then realising it was not the correct part.

I suppose the next question is, should I have replaced the Variable lift Adjustment part in the right of the picture rather than the Variable Timing Adjustment?

If not what are the next steps for diagnostics?

Thanks

Attachments

• 997_cam_588.jpg
    997_cam_588.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 1,570
You have a bank 1 misfire all cyls .. the cam timing solenoid is a possible cause as to be honest there are not many things that can cause a single bank to misfire ..

If it was this though you would usually see cam timing related fault codes .

You would also see an issue when looking at the actual values on a tester in relationship to the cam timing .. it would not be a low rpm issue either .

High lift solenoid failure .. it holds the tappets in high lift mode .. great when above 3K rpm but not so good below or at idle .

Your symptoms are the same as many i have answered here .. replace the high lift solenoid on bank one .. the one in the center of the head .

On the very rare chance this doesn't fix the issue we can move on .. my feelings are it will though .

Hi DeMort, Thanks for coming back to me. I have the part arriving from Porsche Solihull today so will get it fitted and let you know how I get on.

Cheers

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back