Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Drivers door won''t shut - window not dropping!

Gooey36

Monza
Hi all

Took the car out for a countryside blast this weekend and all went well...until I got home...

Went to shut the door as usual and it made an awful clangy bang as the door bounced off the car. Went back and tried to do it again slowly and it appears the glass isn't dropping to allow the door to close!

On the outside, pulling the handle a little bit activates the window drop, but as soon as you let go when shutting it's back up. Same happens if you're inside, glass drops and then immediately raises as you release the interior door pull.

If the windows down, door shuts fine.

Tried to search the forum but guessing I'm not searching the right words!

Anyone have any ideas as to what it is? Faulty switch/sensor etc? Car is an '03 C2...

Help! :frustrated:

I believe there is a microswitch in the latch mechanism which signals that the door is open. Sounds like this has failed to me.

MC

Classic door latch as MC says. I've just recently replaced mine, albeit on a 997. It's a DIY job for sure.

Mine stopped working soon after I got here..the Indy I used said quite a common issue so had the lock mechanism replaced..

Mine does it and have new switch aasy to fit as soon as I have time. 3 microswitches on the mechanism so I believe but seems easier to just replace the lock mechanism. eBay is your friend.

Search this site, it's a standard VAG part and they are much cheaper than the Porsche part.

As others have said, a straightforward DIY job. Take great care taking off the door membrane so you can re-use it, they're £50 each and if you damage it, you'll get water leaks.

Thanks all.

I did some further interneting last night and found a comprehensive DIY to change it. Doesn't look 'easy" but certainly doable with patience and time.

Might try and live with it until the end of October/November before its untaxed for winter and do it then. Few interior jobs I want to do so might tackle them all at the same time!

If it's any thing like the 997, it will probably take 3 hours the first time. When I did it I lost all door lock usages cracked it and left it for the next day.
Pulled it all apart again and did it about 40 mins or so.
Working blind is the hard parts bit once you've seen it, it's not that hard, just fiddly.

As I recall, there are seven microswitches in the mechanism.

1 interior door handle
2 exterior door handle
3 latch when open/closed
4 key lock
5 key unlock
6 & 7 lock motor lock/unlock

I replaced a couple in mine a few years back & it can be done as a DIY, but can be a pain.

The easy but expensive option would be replace the latch mechanism with all the new switches.
The cheap option is to strip & replace the damaged switches.

People say that the issue is often due to a track failure on the board rather than microswitches but I never got round to testing mine.

Door lock as everyone has said ..

When doing it Diy .. unplug the door lock wiring plug FIRST before attempting to remove it .

Drivers door has the key barrel connected to it .. if pulling this lock out with wiring connected it will activate the window drop function with your hand inside the door ..

Lets just say your in a whole lot of trouble when that happens .

deMort said:

When doing it Diy .. unplug the door lock wiring plug FIRST before attempting to remove it .

Drivers door has the key barrel connected to it .. if pulling this lock out with wiring connected it will activate the window drop function with your hand inside the door ..

:eek:

Not sure if allowed but the following link is what I've found as a DIY...

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/1062574-diy-996-door-latch-replacement-detailed.html

Look about right to those that have undertaken it?

deMort said:

I can second this.
It's one of the few times the windows will operate without the keys in the ignition. They also seem to ignore the added strain of a hand in the mechanism & try to remove the offending item.
Luckily I was able to phone a friend to come over & release me as the keys were on the work bench. Not a nice experience!
Pic added to clarify...

Attachments

• wrist_118.jpg
    wrist_118.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 1,741
Wow, the things you pick up following a forum eh?

So I believe the procedure is to turn ignition on and THEN disconnect the battery for basically any mechanical work then? This apparently prevents the alarm going off?

Does anything weird happen after a disconnected battery? I have a PCM2.0, is this still from an era of needing to input codes to make it work again? If so, where does one find them?

Think I might just get an Indy to do this.

Having snapped my Achilles last year playing football, not sure the wife will be happy if I sever my hand this year :eek:

Hope it's all ok now!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back