Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Door lock mechanism/latch/micro switch

Gooey36

Monza
Hi all,

I'm finally getting around to wanting to fix the window not dropping issue I've had with my 996.

On the outside, pulling the handle a little bit activates the window drop, but as soon as you let go when shutting it's back up. Same happens if you're inside, glass drops and then immediately raises as you release the interior door pull.

If the windows down, door shuts fine.

Told it's the micro switch in the latch mechanism and it's easier to replace the mechanism.

Is the part number for this mechanism 8N2837016B ?

If I buy this unit - does it include the micro switches?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORSCHE-...=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

And what's the difference to this unit?

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod...E-Porsche-Boxster-986---996/?source=doofinder

Or do I just need the microswitch??

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod127123/Door-Handle-Microswitch-Porsche-986-Boxster---996/

Feeling confused!

:?: :?:

Sounds like the problem I had, a failure within the mechanism, they say it's usually the circuit board that fails not the microswitches within.

It's a std VW group part, certainly don't pay Porsche (or Design911) prices. The Ebay ad is for the passenger side, it's usually the driver's side that fails as it gets more use.

There are threads on here on how to do it. VERY IMPORTANT, disconnect the battery first so you don't guillotine your fingers with the window.

maldren said:
Sounds like the problem I had, a failure within the mechanism, they say it's usually the circuit board that fails not the microswitches within.

It's a std VW group part, certainly don't pay Porsche (or Design911) prices. The Ebay ad is for the passenger side, it's usually the driver's side that fails as it gets more use.

There are threads on here on how to do it. VERY IMPORTANT, disconnect the battery first so you don't guillotine your fingers with the window.

Yep, I cut/pasted the wrong one. It's the drivers side that's playing up. I'll try one of these units, only concern is I've read a few posts with some people saying it was the microswitch not the unit - might just swap both out whilst it's apart!

Saw the hand trap - 100% disconnecting the battery off!

"TYPICAL FAULTS

All these microswitches can be problematic, and it is common for one or more to fail at some time. These are some of the common failures and symptoms:

1) The door window won't drop when lifting a handle. This is usually the handle microswitch which has failed.
2) The window drops, but goes back up when the door opens, or when the handle is released. This can be the handle microswitch, or more likely the 'door open/closed microswitch' ( c ) has stuck. Because the system thinks the door is still closed, it sends the window back up.
3) Door window won't go up the last 10mm. This is likely to be the 'door open/closed microswitch' ( c ) stuck in the opposite sense to (2). The system thinks the door is still open, so won't allow the window to go back up. Note that in this case the door will still lock, but you may get a single-beep from the alarm horn.
4) Door will not lock with key. The 'key lock' microswitch (d) is broken. This is very rare, as this microswitch is hardly ever used – most times the car is locked by remote.
5) Door will not unlock with key. The 'key lock' microswitch (e) is broken. This is also very rare, for the same reason.
6) Door locks, and then immediately unlocks, usually accompanied by a double-beep from the alarm horn. This is the 'door locked' microswitch (f). The locking motor physically operates the door lock, but the microswitch to sense this has failed/stuck. The ACM promptly unlocks the car. In this case, the only way to lock the door is to use the emergency locking procedure. Turn the key in the door to the lock position and back three times in quick succession.
7) The door unlocks, but there is a beep from the alarm horn. This is the 'door unlocked' microswitch (g). Although the door is unlocked, the ACM has not recognised that. The alarm will not sound, as turning the key in the lock has deactivated it."

Inside handle microswitch: 996.613.123.00 (Same both sides)
Outside handle microswitch: 996.613.125.00 (Left) / 996.613.126.00 (Right)

My passenger door was showing symptoms of (1) but actually upon further investigation it was the stretched window regulator cable that was the problem and not the micro switch. There is a cheap fix for this using a cable tie but I replaced it with a new part for my own piece of mind as it's a bit of a faff stripping the door down to get to it so I didn't want to be doing that again.

Interestingly it was the passenger door on a 39k car that has led a pampered life :!:

Easy job to do, I did mine recently as the repair i did about 5 years ago started to play up again.

The bolts that hold the door lock are triple square (at least they are on my 2000 C2) and not torx so make sure that you have a set.

I had to replace mine recently as the locked micro switch was dead. Replaced with a used Audi TT MK1 and no issues. (same VW Passat no).

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back