Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Drivers side window doesn''t remain dropped

MJK1

Silverstone
When I open my 997.1S drivers side door the window drops a few mm as normal but once the door handle is released the window goes back up, making door closure a problem. If I open the door very carefully and slowly it operates as normal and the window stays down until the door is shut.

I've read this is due to a micro switch in the door catch mechanism. Has anyone had this problem before and managed to repair or replace the microswitch?

I've had a problem with a door micro switch. A good blast of the micro switch with a hairdryer cured it. Had got moisture in due to a missing door handle seal. Replaced the seal too and its never happened again.

I've had the same on my 996. Replaced the mech in one hit rather than mess around with it, but I had seem some reports online of people using 5 quid electrical bits n bobs from eBay and bodging through a fix. If it works, it works.

An easy way to nail it down as to the source is to use both the interior and exterior handles. If it happens regardless of which handle is pulled, then it's your door latch mechanism.
Go.to the last post on this thread as it has all the important info on how to do it. It's definitely a DIY job, just time consuming.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=137099&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20

In there I included a link to Jonttt write up on how to do it. It's spot on. Also keep an eye out for his blood on some of the pics. You'll do the same. :grin:

Definitely go the VW part vs the Porsche part as they are identical. In fact, the VW part looks better quality than the Porsche one.

Good luck :thumb:

Found the problem, it did concern the micro switch that detects when the door is open. The latch which the switch runs against has a plastic coating that has been chewed up by the switch. Not seen this before, I was expecting a problem with the switch or a dry joint on the circuit board from what I'd read elsewhere.

Attachments

• b1e7ecff_27df_4e5b_acf8_e1b2d5d0654c_149.jpeg
    b1e7ecff_27df_4e5b_acf8_e1b2d5d0654c_149.jpeg
    162.2 KB · Views: 808
Now made a temporary repair and it's all working perfectly. I filled the gouge with UP130 chemical metal and then filled/sanded it flush with the surrounding surface. It'll be interesting to see how long it lasts.

Attachments

• bdcaee08_59b8_4c97_9e21_470a05d686c1_899.jpeg
    bdcaee08_59b8_4c97_9e21_470a05d686c1_899.jpeg
    135.3 KB · Views: 771

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzed23
Back