Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Driver side window won''t drop on closing.

Jambon

Hi all,

I have a problem with my drivers side door window which does not always drop (8/10) when closing the door and ends up hitting the seal.

Looking online it looks like it is an actuator issues. Anything me have any experience of this and advice?

Thanks

Don't you mean its not staying dropped when you open the door? It drops when you open the door and stays dropped until you shut it again. Need to know what its doing before we can diagnose it.

It's more than likely a fault with the drivers door lock assembly .. it thinks the door is closed when its open .. various micro switches in these which can fail .

With a tester you can see the actual values of the lock and it's simple to say if this is at fault .

5 mins with a tester and any Indy should be able to say if the door thinks it's closed when its actually open .

The other issue is possibly wear in the window mechanism .. open the door and see if you can lift or lower the window by hand .

It drops when I open the door from the inside almost always. I think you are correct in that it does not then stay lower and at some point raises itself again whilst the door is open.

With it halfway down I can lower it slightly by hand but not raise it. This is also true of the other window but not having the same issues.

Actually upon testing now sometime it would not drop when pulling the handle from the inside either.

Interior and exterior handles will make the window drop .. when released the door lock assembly has to say the door is open .. if it doesn't then the window will close ..

That is what i think is happening to you and it's the door lock assembly saying the door is closed when its actually open .

tester and it's easy to fault find this issue .

Thanks for the help. I don't have a coding machine but my local Indy said it needs a new door lock mechanism. Was quoted 400 all in. Is this about right or can it be a diy?

How much? :eek:

Jambon said:
Thanks for the help. I don't have a coding machine but my local Indy said it needs a new door lock mechanism. Was quoted 400 all in. Is this about right or can it be a diy?

Labour time would be 1.5 hrs at the garage rates plus the part .. i would assume most Indys would use a porsche part and they ain't cheap .. sounds about correct im afraid .

obviously diy will save you £150 and if you fit a VW part then a lot more .

I will say that if you supply parts most garages will fit them for you .. if there's an issue though it's down to you ..

So if you wanted you can buy the VW part and get your garage to fit it .

Thanks for all the advice here all.

The guide was for a 997.2 and mine is a 997.1, are they both the same and is the VW part the same between the two as well? What is confusing is the part is a compatible with golfs et. which don't have frameless windows which in turn don't drop. Are they still compatible?

Anyone local able to help code the windows to go up with the lock? I am in Wycombe. This would be a short term fix.

The door lock doesn't drop the window, it just tells the alarm ecu whether its open or closed.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mike 964 speedster
Back