Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Dogs & the 911 - advice needed!

Alex

Nordschleife
I'm off on holiday in September to the South of France with the love of my life (woman not the car) & our Vizsla (dog).

I'm doing both ways in one go without stop-overs so it'll be an 18 hour drive door to door.
Now the dog hates cars at the best of times and he can't stand long journeys. To make matters worse, he doesn't seem to like it in the back of the 911, apart from when the roofs down and there's some bitch aroma in the air. Due to the size and shape in the back he can't seem to get comfy.
I'm probably going to give him some sort of heavy sedative (which I really don't want to do but needs must) that will hopefully knock him on his arse for the duration of the journey.
The only upside is if one side of the rear is loaded up, it confines him to one side of the car in the back so he's restricted from moving around too much and he does seem to settle down a bit.

Does or has anyone else experienced this and can give me any advice on how to make the journey better for both him and us? Is there any type of dog bed/seat I can fit in the back that'll he'll curl up in and sleep?
Any ideas welcome like putting him in the froot or strapping him to the roof with a leather flying hat and goggles on.

Once he's down there riding shotgun on bitch patrol or sunbathing he's fine.

IMG311_zps9u152wjw.jpg

IMG299_zps6ersrevj.jpg

Hmmm.. that doggy is pretty big isn't it.
I had Weimeraners over the years, similar size to yours, (I've had 3 in total) but that was a long time ago and I used to have estate cars for transport.

My concern would be the scraping on the seats with the claws etc.
I remember the damage that used to get caused when I he scratched at the dog bars, the top of the seats got pretty scratched.
Also, on one occasion one of them actually chewed through the seat belt in the back of my Vauxhall Astra.

Kennel's :D

stucart said:

:eek: :thewife:

Dog goes everywhere with us, he's our surrogate son.

He's not too bad on size, he's very small for his breed and Vizzies are smaller than Weimeraners.
I always cover the seats in the back up with a few blankets so he can't damage anything. I just wish I could keep him still and settled. Was maybe thinking something like this

mJ0UPwq4z5zaIqIZ1HjUAZg.jpg

I'm thinking I'll probably take the seats out the back to give us more space too.

We tend to take the seat squabs out and fold the seatbacks down, using the space between for storage. That should give you a nice flat platform to put a bed on. Or if you've got a small wife, put her in the back and the dog in the front seat - should cure the sickness!

I've tried that (with the seats) but he tries to stand up and it's a bit dangerous.
He doesn't get sick, just gets a bit stressed, which then causes him to start upsetting his bowels and then..........let's not go there :splat:

alex yates said:
I've tried that (with the seats) but he tries to stand up and it's a bit dangerous.
He doesn't get sick, just gets a bit stressed, which then causes him to start upsetting his bowels and then..........let's not go there :splat:

whoaa too much information, upset dog bowels and nice car just don't mix.

:chin:

Dog goes everywhere with us, he's our surrogate son.

We have two proper sons and don't take them on hols, they're too much like hard work. I know how you feel towards him but to be honest is he happy with all of the upset?
We leave our two rotties at home.
+1 kennels

Within an hour of being there he absolutely loves it, especially on the beach. He'd spend all day swimming in the sea if I let him.

can see 4 options

dope the dog
kennels
take an estate
don't go.

would you dope your actual sons for a similar trip if they get stressed ?

chrisu said:
would you dope your actual son for a similar trip if they get stressed ?

Wouldn't need to - he brings the drugs.

Has he got a harness on in the back? Take it steady wouldn't like to hear of him taking a flyer.

I'd like to take our Scotties on the 996 but the wife is paranoid about leather scratches, shame

Taking the seat bases out makes the seat wells even deeper and less pleasant for dogs I reckon, I'd be trying to flatten the whole thing out for him to sit on

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SpkM3
Back