Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Does the 997.2

Ant-toe-knee said:
Is the Gen2 PDK paddles only ?

Manual. PDK with steering wheel buttons (WTF) and PDK with paddles with the optional Sport Design steering wheel.

Once/if you've settled on PDK (manual was available on all variants bar the turbo s) then you really should have paddles rather than buttons, even at the expense of the multi function steering wheel... :thumb:

Lol I didnt say it would blow up!Did I? I'll have to check now! Ah I said bang :oops: The worry for me was simply the not knowing.
I started a thread on here recently trying to establish how many had major engine problems, few would answer for some reason, the fact is no one knows how many have or will but the common consensus seems to be all could eventually and all to some degree have the problem?
It's a scandal Porsche got away with it for so long, for me a worrier the risk was too great, however had it just been the engine I'd of taken the potential risk as the cost saving between 1 and 2 would have covered any potential problems, however it was the other stuff that convinced me to go for a gen 2 (They do have better quality interiors!) one of the other convincing factors was fuel consumption, the 997.2 has amazing figures, newer models have more power and are more fuel efficient... End of the day older models are not as good as newer models?
Thats why car designers make newer models surely. That's fact hence the 991 interior is a spectacular leap forward for Porsche as the 997 was over the 996.
There are many higher priced 997.1 on the market, I wonder if they fetch the prices stated, it's difficult to get major discounts on a 997.2 however especially the S which is massively favoured.
Anyway only point I was making the 997.2 is a better car by evolution and design and not just the engine but the engine must be the biggest factor for new buyers.

I'd like to add these comments firstly re the far superior fuel consumption figures of the gen 2 PDK over the gen 1 man. I'm someone who quite likes the sound of the flat 6 and yet I got around 18.4 on a borrowed gen2 C2S in over a week's driving, versus around an avg of 13.3 on my gen1 C4. To me that's impressive.

Also, I've always considered myself one of the diehard manual fans, but I've finally come to more than just 'like' driving the PDK. But first, naturally, (being a diehard manual afficionado) I've admitted that I disliked PDK in a Panemera GTS and ditto within the first few days of driving a C2S. Since then I recently came to more than like PDK in the borrowed C2S. Yes, well beyond 'like'. In other words, if you're also a 'manual to the end sort' - I would argue that you really need at least a week in a PDK C2S to appreciate in your heart (as that takes longer than mind for a manual fan) just how sublime the PDK experience is, and I must stress again, that this is coming from someone who swore manual to the end!!

All the more so as I've come to see the PDK box as a manual box when you want it to be, and an automatic at other times; e.g., when roads are busy. I really enjoyed switching it into manual mode with a quick flick to the left, on a clear road, and then when others encircle, I simply put it flick it back into auto. Frankly, driving it that way, I came to miss manual less and less, until now, I could say hand on heart that should I buy another, I'd definitely go for the PDK w/ s/chrono. The PDK is indeed *eventually* a lot of 'hand on heart' fun to drive - most especially if you choose to drive it as both a manual and an auto box - just as I do believe it was intended by Porsche to be. Anyone who drives it as just an auto all the time, is (with all respect) missing half the fun.

But before I finish I have to say this: PDK isn't an 'auto box' - it's not even a 'glorified auto box' - it's an auto box and a manual box in one technologically combined bundle of joy!! I came, that is, finally to appreciate it as having the combined very best of both worlds. And that's without even mentioning better acceleration and fuel consumption.

Don't get me wrong, though, if the choice was between manual or an auto box, I'd undoubtedly choose manual every time. It's just that PDK is not at all to be seen as some kind of 'glorified' automatic transmission. No, it is, in honest driving truth, far more special and useful than that! But again, I would say that anyone else, who likes manual as much as me, would arguably need plenty of time to get your heart fully into the great benefits of PDK dual transmission; Because, for the first week, it honestly felt foreign to me - so I can't see how even an hour on the track would give you much sense of all the benefits of PDK, let alone a few minutes test drive. HTH

2hot2trot said:
I'd like to add these comments firstly re the far superior fuel consumption figures of the gen 2 PDK over the gen 1 man. I'm someone who quite likes the sound of the flat 6 and yet I got around 18.4 on a borrowed gen2 C2S in over a week's driving, versus around an avg of 13.3 on my gen1 C4. To me that's impressive.

Also, I've always considered myself one of the diehard manual fans, but I've finally come to more than just 'like' driving the PDK. But first, naturally, (being a diehard manual afficionado) I've admitted that I disliked PDK in a Panemera GTS and ditto within the first few days of driving a C2S. Since then I recently came to more than like PDK in the borrowed C2S. Yes, well beyond 'like'. In other words, if you're also a 'manual to the end sort' - I would argue that you really need at least a week in a PDK C2S to appreciate in your heart (as that takes longer than mind for a manual fan) just how sublime the PDK experience is, and I must stress again, that this is coming from someone who swore manual to the end!!

All the more so as I've come to see the PDK box as a manual box when you want it to be, and an automatic at other times; e.g., when roads are busy. I really enjoyed switching it into manual mode with a quick flick to the left, on a clear road, and then when others encircle, I simply put it flick it back into auto. Frankly, driving it that way, I came to miss manual less and less, until now, I could say hand on heart that should I buy another, I'd definitely go for the PDK w/ s/chrono. The PDK is indeed *eventually* a lot of 'hand on heart' fun to drive - most especially if you choose to drive it as both a manual and an auto box - just as I do believe it was intended by Porsche to be. Anyone who drives it as just an auto all the time, is (with all respect) missing half the fun.

But before I finish I have to say this: PDK isn't an 'auto box' - it's not even a 'glorified auto box' - it's an auto box and a manual box in one technologically combined bundle of joy!! I came, that is, finally to appreciate it as having the combined very best of both worlds. And that's without even mentioning better acceleration and fuel consumption.

Don't get me wrong, though, if the choice was between manual or an auto box, I'd undoubtedly choose manual every time. It's just that PDK is not at all to be seen as some kind of 'glorified' automatic transmission. No, it is, in honest driving truth, far more special and useful than that! But again, I would say that anyone else, who likes manual as much as me, would arguably need plenty of time to get your heart fully into the great benefits of PDK dual transmission; Because, for the first week, it honestly felt foreign to me - so I can't see how even an hour on the track would give you much sense of all the benefits of PDK, let alone a few minutes test drive. HTH

PDK is very hard to describe you sum it up very well, with SC AND flappy paddles the experience just gets better, it's like you can do something different every time you drive, as opposed to a manual where the experience remains the same. The Sports design when transforms the look of the inside too, the button wheel isn't that impressive looking in comparison. I too was a die hard manual fan in the past. The PDK is very much set up for economy and changes up very early running on low revs wherever possible, but the driver has many ways to change that.

It's great to get so much attention, not only do we have the air-cooled and 996 Turbo boys on about our cars, we have our 997.2 brethren too!

Anybody who suffers failures gets our sympathy and support of course, but fact is the 997.1 is great value, very rewarding to find a good one and keep it that way, even finding the right warranty or maintenance plan is more interesting than it sounds :thumb:

After the initial excitement of getting mine, the noise on here and other places put me into a trough of disillusionment, but it didn't last long 8)

@ spongebob squarepants, thank you for saying so. :) I've been mulling it over for days, tuning in to exactly how & what I was feeling about PDK. And was ultimately glad to use the opportunity to relate my very recent experiences with others here. Nonetheless, it's v nice to know that you agree. Cheers again, 2hot2trot

MJA997 said:
It's great to get so much attention, not only do we have the air-cooled and 996 Turbo boys on about our cars, we have our 997.2 brethren too!

Anybody who suffers failures gets our sympathy and support of course, but fact is the 997.1 is great value, very rewarding to find a good one and keep it that way, even finding the right warranty or maintenance plan is more interesting than it sounds :thumb:

After the initial excitement of getting mine, the noise on here and other places put me into a trough of disillusionment, but it didn't last long 8)

:floor: :floor: :floor: :floor: :floor: :floor: can we have our own sub forum separate to the normal 997 one :grin: :?: :hand: :lol: :eek: :worship:

The 997 in any guise is a wonderful car, and water is so much better than air I find :fisherman:

plavix said:
spongebob squarepants said:
Plavix you have a downer on gen 2 cars!

Absolutely not. The 997.2 is a fantastic package. I especially like yours as you have excellent taste in car colour and wheel colour combination. I would be in a GTS in a flash were I not quite so tight.

Where I do take issue is the constant "it's not as good" and "it's going to blow up" references and insinuation. I for one am prepared to stick up for my 997.1, which I love. This is not a rant and not meant as a wind-up of you. I just want to keep the record straight as opinions (mine included) where they are not factual affect peoples perception without cause.

Interior
The PCM3 is as you mention a big improvement however also noticeable is a difference in quality of materials particularly the leather for the seats which is much improved, compare the 2 there is a difference, and the dash around the PCM is also much improved and less cluttered (Hence some upgrade to gen 2 spec interiors)

PCM3 is a given and agreed. Materials are the same. Including the seats and the dash. You can't compare Vinyl side panels for the centre dash with leather! The fan and temp rocker buttons are a constant distraction for me and much better on the 997.2. They can be swapped. Volcano Grey should never have been allowed inside a 911. Period.

Power and engine
Again it is well documented the DFi engine performs differently to the old engine, it performs from lower in the rev range,

You have that the wrong way around. There is more torque and power available earlier with the M96/M97.

and the 0-62 on the standard Carerra PDK is actually very close in real time to 4 seconds with sport plus (Which is quick enough for me)

Porsche are notoriously conservative with their acceleration figures so we can't assume one is less conservative than another. You also cannot add Sport and Sport Plus, they can only be compared with equal specification. My figures of 4.8 and 4.9 respectively stand.

Unless I'm missing something a PDK gen 2 is quicker than a manual 997.1 as the driver is the weak link.

35kg is rather a lot from one solitary part. It will affect acceleration. If you add SSK and a real driver (perhaps not me in all honesty) then PDK becomes less 'useful'.

Most manual fans diss the PDK, however it's not an auto,

Well, it is as it replaces the Tip. They still make a manual 991. Thankfully.

it just loses the pointless hard to operate pedal on the left side :) A PDK is genuinely a joy to drive, but the die hard manual fan will always disagree, Porsche agree however, the manuals days are numbered for good reason.

Only for those incapable of operating said pointless pedal. They still make a manual 991. Thankfully. I know, I said that!

As mentioned the engine addresses all the previous reliability issues with some style,

Stop with the "it's going to blow up" insinuation. Agreed, the M96/M97 have weaknesses. There are many documented issues of owners suffering. All of whom have my sympathy. There are many, many more owners who have had no such issues. Me included. And I don't cruise or dawdle. I spank it hard when it's warm!

the only downside is it doesn't sound as nice making PSE an essential option.

Sadly, even with PSE the DFI sounds nowhere near as melodic or purposeful.

the LED's I think improve the car dramatically.

They still belong on a Christmas tree. Or a Citroen. :dont know:

There is a clear and substantial price difference between gen 1 and 2 cars, mainly due to that superb new engine, however there are other subtle differences.

There may have been late last year. This year, however, the brand has been tarnished a little. Perhaps due to the 991 GT3. There is very little difference in price between an 08 997.1 and an 08 997.2. Any differences in price are representative of specification and mileage. There are 997.1 cars more expensive than 997.2 cars on Autotrader today! Don't be confused by private and trade prices either. They are always going to vary.

What about the key though? Did anyone mention the key? :grin:

Interesting discussions. I'm another Gen 2 fanboy.

I like the PDK box and the LED lights. Don't like the DRLs, so switched them off. Enjoyed the paddles on loaners, but not enough to give up my current wheel.

Pity the PSE doesn't sound as good as the 991.

I sold my 05 plate 997 Gen 1 (3.8 Tip S) last week and bought a 60 plate 997 GTS. Suffice to say that I am utterly amazed by the new machine and the PDK box is a sheer joy to experience.

Can't wait to get back home next month to properly slap the things arse :)

rob_p said:
Also - did anyone note the car has different exhaust in some of the photos- bit weird?

Blimey well spotted, what do you make of that? Does seem very cheap for a Gen 2 with PDK

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back