Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Dark Knight - the Barn Find, gets Dry Iced

Sponge needs guidance on wheels again after the white crocs fiasco

Just been up to collect DK from unit 11. The wheel bearing was absolutely cactus. Johnny has sorted it and it runs like a dream again.
Just a few jobs left to do before it's all done, mechanically, and ready for paint.

………….
Just a few jobs left to do before it's all done……
You gotta love the optimism :cool:

My challenge for the year is to get out on an aircooled run with you and sponge this year, just not sure how many support vehicles we will need :ROFLMAO:

Up until the point I say all task completed, it's under the recommissioning tab.
After that, it's maintenance 🤫

All tasks are not completed because you’ve still got Snoop Dogs wheels on it

My challenge for the year is to get out on an aircooled run with you and sponge this year, just not sure how many support vehicles we will need :ROFLMAO:
Is your run just going to be around your car park?

Now your back living in the Land of Bling your Snoop Dog wheels don’t look out of place😋

I’ll stop you there! DK breakdowns and general mechanical issues requiring parts, breakdown truck and a team of mechanics to fix =15. Herman white =Zero! As reliable as a golf IRMC!

You've done 50 miles in Herman white

Sponge is confused. He seems to think a barn find that has sat for 21 years is the same thing as a car that has been kept on the road.
It takes time to tease out issues with a barn find. So far, the only 1 thing that have caught me unawares was the crank sensor issue in France, which could occur at any time on a 20+ year old car. The noisy wheel bearing is just part and parcel of a resto on such a magnificent vehicle.

You've done 50 miles in Herman white

Sponge is confused. He seems to think a barn find that has sat for 21 years is the same thing as a car that has been kept on the road.
It takes time to tease out issues with a barn find. So far, the only 1 thing that have caught me unawares was the crank sensor issue in France, which could occur at any time on a 20+ year old car. The noisy wheel bearing is just part and parcel of a resto on such a magnificent vehicle.
It could happen anywhere even in the fast lane on the motor way 😬

The car is 4.8lbs lighter

1000066704.jpg

As John has alluded, DK has been on a diet. Although it qas 4.6kg, and not pinda of material removed from the car.
Thanks to Alex, he came across Prep Works when he went to buy a wing that he had for his 996. Alex mentioned that he does dry ice blasting, and after a chat decided to go ahead. So far, the Dark Knight has proven to be a solid car after 20 years stored. This process will prove once and for all whether there were any gremlins hidden under 40 years of muck.
I took the car up to Ian on Thursday and he put it up on the lift to discuss what we could achieve with the budget we had to work with.
I took advantage of Prep Works January offer which was 8 hrs and 80kg of ice for £800. Having said that, what I wanted him to focus on was anything that wasn't requiring further work. For instance,the key areas that will need addressing still are a couple small oil weeps coming from the engine and gearbox. His own 996 GT3 engine and gearbox took 6hrs to give you an idea. I'll be replacing shocks shortly so we left those alone also.
The main focus was the body work, particularly the wheels arches and sills. So hes attacked those areas and its really come up a treat. Its unfortunate that the car is black as it doesn't get to show what a transformation that has occurred. The end result that I wanted was for the preservation of the vehicle, and not turning it into concourse car. I plan to use it, and not put it on a marble plinth in the front bedroom. The hours of video that I watched on the topic were usually a result of a much longer process. 2, 3 and 4 days, 800kg+ of dry ice. It looks amazing, but it doesn't align with my plan.
It wouldn't make sense to clean it all and leave it as is, so I paid a little extra for him to also seal the car with Bilt Hamber Dynax UC.
A few of the NW gents local to his location came along to have a gander, and I'm pleased to say we are all in agreement that it's a great result achieved.
Here are a few pictures.20240128_111917.jpgIMG-20240128-WA0010.jpgIMG-20240126-WA0013.jpgIMG-20240126-WA0012.jpgIMG-20240128-WA0023.jpgIMG-20240128-WA0026.jpgIMG-20240128-WA0028.jpgIMG-20240128-WA0027.jpgIMG-20240128-WA0035.jpgIMG-20240128-WA0032.jpgIMG-20240126-WA0011.jpgIMG-20240128-WA0019.jpg
So the good news is that the process didn't unearth anything to to be concerned about and I'm pleased with the end result,a task well worth doing, especially foe older cars like this.
Thanks again to Ian at Prep Works for his efforts.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SpkM3
Back