Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Coolant Tank - Pre-2000 Cost

pugleyrich

Unfortunately my MY98 C2 has a small crack in the expansion tank and I'll need to get it replaced soon. I want to go for a genuine tank but I can't find one at the moment for a reasonable price.

As the car is a 1998 model I'll need to get the pre-2000 tank, currently around £450 from Porsche direct (£490 from Design911 - https://www.design911shop.com/Coola...--2000-99610614756/prod6214/?source=doofinder)

A post 2000 genuine tank is currently just over £100.

Does anyone know if the post 2000 tank will fit on an earlier car? I'm also interested to know if anyone has been tracking prices on these for a while. I'm not sure if the price has recently been inflated due to manufacturing and will likely go down within the next year, or whether the earlier tank has always been 4x the price of a later one. I could hold off replacing it for a year or so if needed.

Many thanks

i fitted a copy on my 996 turbo, no problems, too many get sucked into the originality debate, a 1998 c2 is never going to be collectable or an investment (unless it once belonged to steve mcqueen), so, enjoy it, drive it like you stole and fit aftermarket parts.
just my 2p worth, an what i do :lol:
check out
https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/oem/99610614756

I've not got a problem with aftermarket parts generally, but I've read that people have had issues with aftermarket tanks splitting after limited use. My original tank has lasted 24 years so I'd prefer to go for another of those.

Interested to hear from anyone who knows what prices were like on this part a couple of years ago to determine whether they're likely to fall back around £110 in line with the post 2000 part, or whether they've always been more expensive.

i have fitted the later one to my earlier car, sorry i can't remember the part number.
Fits perfect, no problems at all and strangely way cheaper!!

pugleyrich said:
Interested to hear from anyone who knows what prices were like on this part a couple of years ago to determine whether they're likely to fall back around £110 in line with the post 2000 part, or whether they've always been more expensive.

The early bottle has always been eyewateringly expensive in comparison to it's later counterpart.

Even if prices are inflated for whatever reason (although £400+ish is what I remember when I looked a while back) I can't imagine they're ever going to drop to the price of the equivalent later bottle as they were never that 'cheap' to begin with.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dhaApex
Back