Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Come on team help me out !!!

jezgreen911 said:
For me it would need to be a gen2 997 before I'd consider parting with the 996

:agree:

Keep the 996 c4s, it simply looks better!

Specifically the front has a much more impressive presence.

From the above it implies that your car is a manual but the 997 is a tip?

If that's the case then I guess it really comes down to whether you prefer a tip, different headlights and an updated (but not necessarily improved) interior along with just a change in car otherwise I can't see why you'd change.

Personally I'd keep the 996 and maybe throw a few sparkly bits at it if you want a change like ,say, a SSK & wheels.

996 all the way.
I just never really liked the 997 interior.
Dont get me wronge, 997 great car, good driving experience but i dont think Porsche invested enough in the interior design on the model change and it looked dated even at launch.
:thumbs:

Interesting reading the comments re 996 997, I had a 996 for a few years before I bought the 997, despite the engine imploding on the 996 I still bought a 997.1 but this was as the gen.2 was still a new car and the problems that the 997.1 is now fabled for either hadn't made it to Forums or people were ignorantly blind to it or just not as bothered as they are to say buying a 15 year old car with a brand new engine ?

Personally I cannot see any similarity between my 964 interior and that of the 996. Sure there's a logo on the steering wheel and the dash layout is similar but the rest of it doesn't bare any resemblance to what I'd call classic Porsche.
The 997 has the flip up door bins, other ques to suggest that your in a familiar space, it looks and feels like a 911 where as the 996 looks like a Boxster and feels like Suzuki swift inside.

The rear of the 996 must be one of the iconic images of 911, the headlights ? If that worked out why aren't they still fitting the same shape style to day ? The interior about as far removed from 911 as it has ever gone and again it's odd that they haven't strayed too far away from the lineage again.

Either that or my 996 was a 1 off made with an interior that did not come from the factory ?

Wurzel said:
Interesting reading the comments re 996 997, I had a 996 for a few years before I bought the 997, despite the engine imploding on the 996 I still bought a 997.1 but this was as the gen.2 was still a new car and the problems that the 997.1 is now fabled for either hadn't made it to Forums or people were ignorantly blind to it or just not as bothered as they are to say buying a 15 year old car with a brand new engine ?

Personally I cannot see any similarity between my 964 interior and that of the 996. Sure there's a logo on the steering wheel and the dash layout is similar but the rest of it doesn't bare any resemblance to what I'd call classic Porsche.
The 997 has the flip up door bins, other ques to suggest that your in a familiar space, it looks and feels like a 911 where as the 996 looks like a Boxster and feels like Suzuki swift inside.

The rear of the 996 must be one of the iconic images of 911, the headlights ? If that worked out why aren't they still fitting the same shape style to day ? The interior about as far removed from 911 as it has ever gone and again it's odd that they haven't strayed too far away from the lineage again.

Either that or my 996 was a 1 off made with an interior that did not come from the factory ?

I'm guessing you don't like the 996 then wurzel :D

I would keep then 996 4s personally as i think a 997.1 in silver is a bit bland looking but its up to personal taste, though i do agree that the 996 interior
isn't the best but don't think it's quite as bad as a swift lol

Wurzel said:

Just worth noting that the 996 C4S interior (as that's what we are comparing) has the extended leather option as standard. There's no plastic panels apart from the gearshift tunnel. So not exactly apples and apples when comparing to a standard C2/C4 without extended leather option.
Mark

Sorry, I do apologise. I wasn't aware that all plastic around the switches was adorned in leather, mine was all bare and was terrible. Cheap and cheerful.

The 997.1 to be fair isn't that much better although I do have extended leather, some of the new highest end stuff these days are lacking quality inside. It amazes me the Plastic some can get away with.

I'm looking at a 991 and would like carbon in that, but to be fair there's not a great deal to pick between any of them for quality.

I personally think the 997 got away with it more because there is more buttons and a screen.

Wurzel said:
Sorry, I do apologise. I wasn't aware that all plastic around the switches was adorned in leather, mine was all bare and was terrible. Cheap and cheerful.

The 997.1 to be fair isn't that much better although I do have extended leather, some of the new highest end stuff these days are lacking quality inside. It amazes me the Plastic some can get away with.

I'm looking at a 991 and would like carbon in that, but to be fair there's not a great deal to pick between any of them for quality.

I personally think the 997 got away with it more because there is more buttons and a screen.

Hey, no apologies needed :D It's just that there's lots of negative comments on 996 interiors (maybe gen 1 and gen 2 differ I don't know). But the C4S came as standard with the extended leather package, which is a pretyy nice interior IMO.

I'd agree with that, a strategy compiled by the bean counters to increase the price at build.

Much like the fixed price servicing ! Which doesn't include Haldex Oil, Gear box Oil, screenwash, or Adblu.

I had my Mrs car serviced at VW and the screenwash was empty a few days before. Took in for service drove out and still empty. I rang them and they said it was only an oil & filter change ? Surely they could have stretched to adblu and screen wash ! needless to say I won't be buying a service pack again.

The leather does look much better, more sports car esque. And also stops rattles.

996 v 997

So thanks to everyone who has replied I do appreciate all your views and take on board all the comments . One of the questions was why change did a 997 and why a tip ? The straight answer being is that I love cars ( tried sports bikes but they didn't like me ) I like to change my cars every couple of years, I've looked at other brands but they don't give me the smile on the face that the Porsche does .... I'm not to fussed if it's a tip as I just want to enjoy driving the car .
The deal the garage has offered is ok but not great, as always the garage are getting a better deal and I get that and would have probably jumped but as it stands today and having thought about it the 997 didn't grab me !. I think it's a lot of money and I'm paying for the rebuild ?..... I think their car maybe over priced ? Or is that just me wanting more out of it ? . I knew when I drove the 996 home I had a great car and was happy to part with the money , suppose I was expecting the same from the 997 .

Having a look online there are similar cars on sale , one slightly cheaper and with a hartech rebuild , there is also a 54 reg with a full rebuild so may keep looking ?.

Again keep the advice coming !!!!

Cheers

Chris

It's a 56 reg and the currently have it for sale for a shade under £29k.... Don't get me wrong I know dealers have to make money but we all like a deal !. It's a good looking car, few age related marks but that is only to be expected .... Like I've said I think the premium is in the rebuild ( done by them in 2018 ).

Chris

Two more to look at

So the search continues ..... Eporsch have two 997 in stock , silver Manuel 56 reg with 60k on clock and a dark grey 54 ref tip same miles , both look good and a garage with a very good rep..... let me know your thoughts !!

Cheers Chris

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prime007
Back