Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

C4S Tyres

mr gill said:
I went for falken f453's all round.. I have no complaints. The N rated brigade won't be happy :x but I think they are great and they stick to the road like s##t to a soldiers blanket

+1 on these. Think paid £70ea for the fronts and £115 ea for the rears

I put a new set of PS2 on my C4S in July..

BlackCircles - £709.06 fully fitted.

Tyre Details: 2 x Michelin Pilot Sport 2 (Porsche (N3)) 225/40 R18 Y (92), Reinforced
2 x Michelin Pilot Sport 2 (Porsche (N3)) 295/30 R18 Y (98), Reinforced
Price: £709.06

Maybe prices have gone up recently, but i couldnt find them cheaper..

Zub-911 said:
Tyre Details: 2 x Michelin Pilot Sport 2 (Porsche (N3)) 225/40 R18 Y (92), Reinforced
2 x Michelin Pilot Sport 2 (Porsche (N3)) 295/30 R18 Y (98), Reinforced

Exactly the same as I put on mine in July 2016 - from Blackcircles, can't remember the price, but did get the fitters to check the age before they fitted them - they were all less than two months old :thumb:

Harv said:
mr gill said:
I went for falken f453's all round.. I have no complaints. The N rated brigade won't be happy :x but I think they are great and they stick to the road like s##t to a soldiers blanket

+1 on these. Think paid £70ea for the fronts and £115 ea for the rears

You paid those prices for c4s tyres!? Mine cost 180 each for the rears and 80 each for the fronts

have you tried Ben Patey on Facebook? he has some amazing prices on tyres.

I got a set of Yokohama AD08Rs from him for £600 all in fronts and rears. 235/40/18 and 295/30/18. then paid £40 for fitting locally.

Hi All, Interesting thread.

Looking at Tyre Leader they have Bridgestone Potenza SO2 A's which are Porsche N3 rated for £89 front and £182 back (this is for a C4 S, so 295/30 rears and 225/40 fronts).

This seems so much less than the equivalent Michelin (£117/£228). Four tyres would be £750 vs £540 for the Bridgestones.

Are the Bridgestones considered that much worse?

Do they wear really quickly?

Thanks.

I had S02As on a Mini in the past and rated them highly, but unsure how they'd perform on a C4S.

Currently have Kumho tyres on mine. They have plenty of deep tread but rears have deteriorated on the side walls which I only noticed as the N/S rear was very slowly deflating to around 15psi.

Been quoted - Rears £140+VAT, Fronts £85+VAT for Yoko's balanced/fitted.

Seemed reasonable :dont know:

Currently have Kumho tyres on mine. They have plenty of deep tread but rears have deteriorated on the side walls which I only noticed as the N/S rear was very slowly deflating to around 15psi.

Been quoted - Rears £140+VAT, Fronts £85+VAT for Yoko's balanced/fitted.

Seemed reasonable :dont know:

I know this won't be a popular opinion, but here goes:
The rear tyre footprint relative to the power available on both a C2 and C4 is so massive that there is no reason to go for a non-budget tyre beyond wanting to have the same tyres all around.

It's well worth having the best you can get on the front, particularly on a C2, as the rear weight bias means there isn't much pushing the fronts into the tarmac.

If you want the best handling 996 possible then go look at the sizes that ELA uses. His rears are narrower than standard, making the car more nimble and the unsprung weight less. It's only when making the tyre footprint smaller on a 996 that the tyre compound starts to count. A 295 section tyre on the rear of a road driven 996 will only make it slower, even though it inflates the ego of the driver.

I'd agree with that and I'm looking at fitting some 19" bbs LM replica wheels and making up spacer to correct the wheel offset. They are only avail staggered in 8" front and 9.5" rear so will require a narrower tyre on the back at least

Martin996RSR said:
I know this won't be a popular opinion, but here goes:
The rear tyre footprint relative to the power available on both a C2 and C4 is so massive that there is no reason to go for a non-budget tyre beyond wanting to have the same tyres all around.

It's well worth having the best you can get on the front, particularly on a C2, as the rear weight bias means there isn't much pushing the fronts into the tarmac.

If you want the best handling 996 possible then go look at the sizes that ELA uses. His rears are narrower than standard, making the car more nimble and the unsprung weight less. It's only when making the tyre footprint smaller on a 996 that the tyre compound starts to count. A 295 section tyre on the rear of a road driven 996 will only make it slower, even though it inflates the ego of the driver.

That does make sense. On a C4S, what do you think the narrowest tyre that will fit safely onto the rear rim?

I don't know what the rim size is on a C4s. I have a C2 with GT3 Sport Design wheels, and I use a 235 section Goodyear Eagle F1 on the front to maximise front end grip and braking(At the expense of steering sweetness and higher speed general niceness, but they work well at road speeds on wet roundabouts).

On the rear I use 265 section cheapos, as those are the narrowest I can put on the rim. If you're able to get them, I would consider putting 225 fronts, and 275 rears on the C4. If you can't get the tyre of your choice in 275, then go for 285. 235 fronts like I have are actually a poor choice when you have 4wd as the powered front wheels help to cure understeer, and also the wider section rubs on the inner arches.

295 is silly wide when you've only 315BHP and probably around 260lbft, and will only hurt your handling balance. It's only appropriate on a Turbo where the torque is on another level.

Evos and Imprezas are a roughly similar weight and torque capability and run much smaller tyre footprints than we do. I think that says something.

ALSO!!! - Find an online calculator for rolling circumference and plug in the tyre sizes you're considering using. The 4WD system of the car won't work if the front and rear rolling circumferences are more than a very small percentage different from each other. Failure to observe this limitation means a buggered drivetrain. Good luck!

The C4S uses 8" front and 11" rear rims.

I'd convert those sizes to mm and compare with the existing tyre sizes and look at a working to a percentage smaller and see where that puts you with what's avail off the shelf but I suspect you'll need a narrower rear rims. I don't recall what ELA did but suspect a reduced rear rim width too as under tire width will give a stretched on appearance which I doubt will suit the car (unless you want the drift racer look).

As said don't knacker the 4wd system, that rolling radius is very important

According to an online comparison tool I found, there's a 0.4% difference in circumference between the front and rear factory 225/40 295/30 setup.

Switching to a 235/40 275/35 setup means I could run much better PS4 Tyres (Not N Rated) but would result in a 0.8% difference, which is only 2.5 revolutions difference per mile.

An 11" rim is 280mm wide which may not be ideal though as I suspect it would look like a stretch special...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dhaApex
Back