Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

c4s exhaust

Tom-89

Morning guys

Slightly weird one, I did ask this a while ago on a FB group but nothing productive came from it so thought I'd try here.

My '03 c4s has a TopGear exhaust on it, no PSE. and a few weeks ago it suddenly changed tone...got quieter, less growly and more 'airy' for want of a better description. And I have absolutely no idea why.

I'd expect if there was an exhaust leak it would be louder not quieter, there's no change to the driving, no lights on the dash...nothing other than the sound being different.

She will be going in for her annual service at RPM in a month or so but just thought I'd ask in case anyone has had anything similar, I know the TopGear exhausts are pretty common on here.

thanks!

Have you contacted Top Gear?

On an old Audi my exhaust went quieter but the car also lost power, part of internals had disintegrated and blocked the CAT, I pulled over and revved the car which cleared the blockage. The car ran fine and now sounded better but failed the next MOT and needed replacement CATs.

I agree with 911munKy could be a blocked cat or the internals of a muffler/silencer have have come adrift and so partially blocking the exhaust gas exit.

I haven't, will drop them a message and see what they say. suspect it is hard to diagnose without seeing the car.

there has been a definite change to the sound though and not only do I miss how it used to sound I would like to know why! Your point about the internals could be a good one but I'd expect to feel a power loss like you did, could only be partial I suppose!

If it was partially blocked I guess you'd only notice a drop in performance when the amount of exhaust gas escaping was sufficiently hindered and not under normal driving conditions.

Yep, not sure there would be an easy way to tell mind?

Suppose it is either fixable or I get the joy of finding a new exhaust system which is always good fun.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPD
Back