Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Buying my first 911 help :(

plavix said:
IMI A said:
There's quite a few dealers who will not touch a gen 1 3.8S. The gen 1 3.6 Carrera is meant to be far more reliable. :thumbs:

some won't touch an S because of perceived engine issues. Which are rare, albeit serious.

Really? I know of many highly respected indies in the south who sell these cars routinely. Do you know of specific examples of places that don't sell them?

ragpicker said:
I haven't looked but surely for £33k you can find a gen 2 997?
ragpicker said:
Having said that if its from an OPC and with a 2 year warranty then I wouldn't bother so much about the gen 1/2 and I would care even less about the S / non-S

However if it is without an OPC warranty then I personally would not part with £33k for a 997.1 even with a clean borescope. The amount of time I spent with my 4S just thinking about scoring was a real taint to the ownership experience unfortunately.

If it was £20k I may consider it but £33k is a fair chunk of change to potentially have some major issues isn't it...

EDIT - I've just read this back and realised it sounds as though I'm jumping on (or propagating) the bore-scoring bandwagon and I hate that.

I recently paid £34K for a 2008 Gen1 C4S convertible, it was on the cusp of a gen2 with higher mileage price wise, but couldn't find what I wanted. The only gen2's I could see were much high mileage, i researched for quite a while.

JRW said:
ragpicker said:
ragpicker said:
Having said that if its from an OPC and with a 2 year warranty then I wouldn't bother so much about the gen 1/2 and I would care even less about the S / non-S

However if it is without an OPC warranty then I personally would not part with £33k for a 997.1 even with a clean borescope. The amount of time I spent with my 4S just thinking about scoring was a real taint to the ownership experience unfortunately.

If it was £20k I may consider it but £33k is a fair chunk of change to potentially have some major issues isn't it..

EDIT - I've just read this back and realised it sounds as though I'm jumping on (or propagating) the bore-scoring bandwagon and I hate that.

I recently paid £34K for a 2008 Gen1 C4S convertible, it was on the cusp of a gen2 with higher mileage price wise, but couldn't find what I wanted. The only gen2's I could see were much high mileage, i researched for quite a while.
+1 geo you've missed the boat on a low 30's gen 2 I'm afraid. There all now 35 plus, despite no one apparently wanting them lol ( what a load of tosh) 12 months ago easy but prices on all 997 are very strong and 997.1 are on the increase. Good luck with the search

JRW said:
ragpicker said:
ragpicker said:

If it was £20k I may consider it but £33k is a fair chunk of change to potentially have some major issues isn't it..

+1 geo you've missed the boat on a low 30's gen 2 I'm afraid. There all now 35 plus, despite no one apparently wanting them lol ( what a load of tosh) 12 months ago easy but prices on all 997 are very strong and 997.1 are on the increase. Good luck with the search

GeoPorsche said:
http://www.chappellsportscars.com/stocklist/used-porsche-911-51043

I've got my eye on this now. All the mods plus 2 year warrant and 20k miles. Price sounds about right doesn't it?

Yes I know I have gone over budget grr

Looks great. :thumb:

The price reflects the low mileage and the quality of the 2 year warranty.

GeoPorsche said:

I've got my eye on this now. All the mods plus 2 year warrant and 20k miles. Price sounds about right doesn't it?

That is a lovely looking motor :thumb:

GeoPorsche said:

If you are willing to go to high 30's for price, I would seriously have a look at the Gen 2's.

I've owned 2 Gen 1 997s (Cab and Coupe) - both were S, and just changed to a GEN 2 non S coupe - the upgrade is huge - the PCM and lights etc.

Also the pdk is lovely.....

The non - s vs s is a debate that will go on forever - its personal preference.

But I would definitely look at Gen 2 for the money you are considering.....

On the other hand if you can get a good 997.1 specimen, i.e. Hartech rebuild, LTT, later IMS, then the earlier models can be great.

By all accounts the PSE on the gen1 cars sounds a lot better and the engine is said to feel more buzzy than the DFIs generally. And it will still be a lot cheaper than a gen2.

But it's all up to you.

RedJedi said:
GeoPorsche said:

If you are willing to go to high 30's for price, I would seriously have a look at the Gen 2's.

I've owned 2 Gen 1 997s (Cab and Coupe) - both were S, and just changed to a GEN 2 non S coupe - the upgrade is huge - the PCM and lights etc.

Also the pdk is lovely.....

The non - s vs s is a debate that will go on forever - its personal preference.

But I would definitely look at Gen 2 for the money you are considering.....
+1 that's a lovely car, however it's top top dollar for a gen 1, nice as it is, the low miles doesn't mean it can't develop perceived gen 1 issues, then your into mint Gen 2 S money if it does. Really think about this it's easy to be swayed by a shiney low miles car, a friend recently bought a low miles gen 1S from Cridfords for 27 k. On a gen 2 manual is alSo cheaper than PDK, so if it's manual you want even more chance of a good buy, all the glitz with warranties inspections and the like doesn't mean much unless it's Porsche.
Gen 1 v 2 same money I'd be looking at this non S

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...911-997-gen-ii-c2-3-6-6-speed-sat-nav/4204396

or even a gen 2 S

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifi.../porsche-911-mk-997-3-8-carrera-s-2dr/4314855

Anyway you probably already bought the gen 1 lol good luck in whatever you decide :thumb:

Some great advice in this thread without it descending into 'engine block bashing' as these posts so often do.

Why is it whenever someone posts a thread like this I immediately start wanting a new car. joint posted about his eleccy Merc and i'm on their car configurator, now this chap posting about the 997 (a car which i've never been enamoured with) and I'm scouring the ads thinking about getting one! :duh:

One thing is for sure, for the money the OP is willing to spend there are a lot of nice cars to chose from.

Do you have a list of must-have's so we could help you in your search?

For example my spec for a N/A 911 would be:

Atlas grey
biggest OE wheels (19s for the 997)
PCCB
PSE (unless willing to fit aftermarket exhaust which would void OPC warranty)
Sports Chrono (997 onwards)
PASM
Heated sports seats

My point? Come up with a spec like the above because we are very good at sorting the wheat from the chaff!

:thumb:

Guys I just wanted to say a massive thank you....the advice has been so valuable.

I settled and bought the Carrera 2007 (25000 miles) I originally saw at the Porsche Dealership with a one year warranty and roadside.

They knocked of 1k and we agreed on a price of 32k. I also got them to throw in the Sports Exhaust which the car didn't originally have which shall be installed (it was a must have for me). Also, the car looks as new without even the sign of a scratch. I feel I got a fairly good price The upgrades already included were:-

PCM Upgrade
Navigation Upgrade
Sport seats
Rear window wipers
Sun roof
Heated seats
19" Sport Alloys

I can't wait to pick it up :D I understand I might have paid a bit of a premium but going through the dealership has given me that peace of mind.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prime007
Back