Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Bumper dent - insurance claim or not?

A993LAD

Hockenheim
One of my kids took the 993 to the village pub at the weekend.

Luckily they were seated outside in the sun and could see the car in the car park. My son spotted someone reverse into the 993 whilst manoeuvring around the car park before starting to drive off. He jumped up and stopped the guy leaving and following a conversation about "no I don't think I did" and "it looks ok to me" eventually managed to get the guys Insurance details and address.

The rear bumper has a split in it and a crease as well as some marks in the paint. I think the bumper stay might be bent as the whole bumper seems a bit out of shape. Hard to spot the twist in it unless you are looking for it though - which I am now, every time I walk round the back of the car.

So would you start a claim direct against the guys Insurance? I really don't want to claim from mine. But I guess I can go to a body shop and get a quote for a new bumper and ask the insurers to pay?

The whole thing reminds me of this, still funny after all these years...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxEQlpj_-ic

Personally I think it's quite black and white, the bumper was damaged by a third party and the cost needs to be covered by them to put it back to condition it was in prior to the accident.

I had a similar situation where the third party asked if they could keep it out of the Insurance and cover the cost themselves for the sake of their NCP.

I politely declined, partly because they seemed to be under a false impression of how much these things actually cost to put right, and also because the full extent and cost of the job isn't known until the bumper is off and the job is complete so you're putting a lot of trust in the other party coming good with the payment when the invoice is presented, you have no option but to bear the cost of it yourself if they refuse.

I also don't see any reason why you should have to claim on your Insurance, although having an independent third party witness will pay dividends when the other insurer takes it's default position of denying responsibility to avoid paying the claim.

As a retired Insurance person I recommend you inform your insurer that your vehicle has been damaged, you can tell them that it is a no-claim notification. If things materialise where the other party starts to protest their innocence your insurer will then take up the mantle for you. Good luck

Hi,

I had someone rear end me a couple of weeks ago, see my other post below. When the bumper came off the rear bumper support plastic pieces were damaged. I'm waiting to hear back from Porsche if you can buy them separately otherwise the complete bumper support bar is around €1000.00. The centre light lens was damaged too, another €700.00. If you need a new PU cover they are about €1000 plus and you will probably need new heat shields too. Not a cheap experience. Claim on the other guys Insurance. Fortunately for me the guy who hit me accepted full liability and the claim has been approved by his insurer. Good luck with getting it sorted.

ATB :)

A993LAD said:
One of my kids took the 993 to the village pub at the weekend.

Luckily they were seated outside in the sun and could see the car in the car park. My son spotted someone reverse into the 993 whilst manoeuvring around the car park before starting to drive off. He jumped up and stopped the guy leaving and following a conversation about "no I don't think I did" and "it looks ok to me" eventually managed to get the guys Insurance details and address.

The rear bumper has a split in it and a crease as well as some marks in the paint. I think the bumper stay might be bent as the whole bumper seems a bit out of shape. Hard to spot the twist in it unless you are looking for it though - which I am now, every time I walk round the back of the car.

So would you start a claim direct against the guys Insurance? I really don't want to claim from mine. But I guess I can go to a body shop and get a quote for a new bumper and ask the insurers to pay?

The whole thing reminds me of this, still funny after all these years...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxEQlpj_-ic

Yes, definitely.
You won't have to claim on yours.
You don't need a quote.
Simply call your Insurance company, inform them of the guys details and say you want a Porsche Approved Bodyshop, they'll call you, collect it and offer you a courtesy car.

Trust me, I've been down the route of 'I'll pay' and them sh*ting themselves when a new bumper came to £3.5K.

People assume all bumps are the same, lesson is don't hit a Porsche.

As they guy tried to drive off and lied, I'ld rest easy with this decision.
F*ck his NCB.

sday12 said:
As they guy tried to drive off and lied, I'd rest easy with this decision.

That's a fair comment, someone has shown their true colours to you already there. :roll:

sday12 said:
As they guy tried to drive off and lied, I'd rest easy with this decision.

These sort of people boil my piss. In older times I'd string him up by the gonads with the 'livener' of a pool ball in a sock, but I've mellowed in my old age.

I'm afraid you will really need to inform your insurer......the irony of Insurance being that as you have 'been" involved in an accident, even where 100% not your fault as in this case, your risk of being involved in another has just gone up and hence you next premium :roll: ........yes they have their cake and gorge on it

Nb it will go down on the Motor Insurance Database with your name on it, so be very careful if declaring that you 'have not had any claims for the past 5 years" you now have........had this a few times with SWMBO totally no fault claims and the insurers pointing out that she has had claims in the past 5 years even though she was physically not in the cars at the time (cars where parked up like yours).........another slice of cake sir, I think I will thank you :nooo:

Jontt is correct, it will impact your renewal, unfortunately. Does seem very unfair, but that's life.

had a similar thing with my audi tt
they admitted liability and my insurers booked in the repairs and gave me a nice car whilst it was all being done.

then they denied it and I was asked to pay the excess and they even tried to get me to pay for the hire car.
In the end my insurers paid out and it went against me as a fault claim.

What people say at the roadside or in a pub car park should be taken with a pinch of salt. they say anything at the time and then change it afterwards.

I think the crucial thing is having a witness, then it is copper bottomed.

Jonttt's correct. I forgot to disclose a windscreen claim on my renewal search on a comparison site. The selected company were keen to highlight I had a previous claim that I hadn't disclosed. When i did they said it didn't count :?

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzed23
Back